Sign in to follow this  
Rainoyama

Aminishiki injured/ Intai

大相撲名古屋場所 竜虎に寄り倒しで敗れ両肩を抱えられて引き揚げる安美錦(中央)(撮影・白石智彦)

40 years old veteran Aminishiki injured his right knee on day 2 during his loss to shin juryo Ryuko. The severity of the injury is yet unknown but it didn't look good and at this age it's very likely to be a career ending one. He went to the hospital after his bout to have his injured knee examined and assess the damage. "From what I felt, it's probably the meniscus" said Aminishiki before leaving for the hospital. Terrible news.

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201907080000494.html

Edited by Rainoyama
  • Sad 4

関取在位 歴代1位タイ 安美錦 9日から休場へ

According to NHK news, Aminishiki will be kyujo from tomorow (day 3).

His Oyakata doesn't rull out the possibility of Aminishiki coming back later but doesn't seem optimistic. "It looks like the injury is at the same spot as an older injury. We'll see how it turns once the swelling is gone and if he can move well enough he may enter again." he declared.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20190708/k10011986771000.html

(picture from the article)

Edited by Rainoyama

Nothing to lose if he comes back later in the basho. If he does, he might lose his ability to walk (kind of) normally for the rest of his life, but walking is a bit overrated these days. Better to come back and make a fool of himself (like Takak last basho), than bow out with some dignity.

22 minutes ago, RPedro44 said:

Nothing to lose if he comes back later in the basho. If he does, he might lose his ability to walk (kind of) normally for the rest of his life, but walking is a bit overrated these days. Better to come back and make a fool of himself (like Takak last basho), than bow out with some dignity.

Aminishiki definitely is no fool. He already is a legend and has nothing to prove. His Ajigawa-kabu is free, waiting for him to become an oyakata. The only incentive for him showing up again would be the possibility to climb one or two ranks in the top ten of all time wins. If he's out this basho, he will drop to makushita. I hope he calls it a career then. He'll be a good oyakata and future shisho.

• Like 7

竜虎(左)との取組で右膝を痛めた安美錦(撮影・鈴木正人)

"I feel terribly sorry" confessed 21 years old Ryuko  who was Aminishiki's opponent of the day.

When Ryuko was just one years old, Aminishiki was already a sekitori " I've been watching and admiring him for a long time. I think he is strong and awesome. I'm glad I was able to face him/ I'm even more happy to get my first win as a sekitori against him but of course [the injury] left a bad aftertaste"

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201907080000918.html

Edited by Rainoyama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 2

Feels bad, hard not to like Aminishiki. If he does decide to retire I look forward to his tenure as oyakata and being in the booth and so on.

And Ami is kyujo from Day 3.

It's the meniscus indeed, the injury is reported as tears in both the inside and outside part of the meniscus of the right knee ( 右膝内側半月板断裂、右膝外側半月板損傷) two weeks of treatment were advised but we all know it means nothing... They still haven't rulled out a return completely yet and are waiting for the swelling to go down.

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201907090000221.html

Will always admire his fighting spirit, but Uncle Ami needs to call it a career, so as to be able to walk to and join in his own intai-zumo.

Ami has been operating without substantial connective and cushioning tissues in his knees for over a decade.  He has developed muscle tissue to keep his knees in place.  The musculature is supplemented by elaborate braces.  His knees are almost immune to further damage. 

12 minutes ago, Asojima said:

His knees are almost immune to further damage. 

Says the guy who might have noticed the damage happened to his "good" knee; as in the one without the brace classified as a medical device.

It's mind-boggling to think that Aminishiki was the last man to defeat Takanohana, yet is still on the dohyo.

• Like 1

"If I feel better, I want to return," said Aminishiki. "We'll wait 2, 3 days and then he'll probably decide," said Isegahama Oyakata.(Bombabouttobeblown...)

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Jeronimozo said:

He would need 6 (with luck 5) wins to stay in Juryo, if my database query is correct. Hm... (Scratchingchin...)

That’s a long shot but rumors of his demise have been exaggerated before.

Aminishiki wants to return as early as day 9, and: "It's not so that there is no way that I would continue also in makushita. It will depend on how I feel." http://www.jiji.com/jc/article?k=2019071300347&g=spo

Edit: he's not on the torikumi for day 9

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

On 13/07/2019 at 18:34, Akinomaki said:

Aminishiki wants to return as early as day 9, and: "It's not so that there is no way that I would continue also in makushita. It will depend on how I feel." http://www.jiji.com/jc/article?k=2019071300347&g=spo

Edit: he's not on the torikumi for day 9

Aminishiki has delayed (and maybe given up on) his return: "It's no use if I re-enter and get re-injured. It's annoying for those around me. I'm thinking about a lot of things. I'll have to deliver results soon." http://www.daily.co.jp/general/2019/07/14/0012514335.shtml

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Akinomaki said:

Aminishiki has delayed (and maybe given up on) his return: "It's no use if I re-enter and get re-injured. It's annoying for those around me. I'm thinking about a lot of things. I'll have to deliver results soon." http://www.daily.co.jp/general/2019/07/14/0012514335.shtml

To me it sounds like he's retiring, as sad as it is it's the safest decision for him.

In my previous company I knew it was time to go when the last person who had started working there before me left. There was just something depressing about being the last one of the era. So it goes with Aminishiki. He has just always been there, a constant, the last survivor of the years when Asashoryu was the boss. He was a ten-year veteran when I got into sumo. Now he’s gone it really does feel like the closing of an era and that makes me a little sad.

On the other hand, I’m glad he’s finally giving himself a break. He’s taken a beating over the years and there comes a time when a man just has to accept that time has caught up with him. I’m glad at least he will be sticking around the sumo world as an elder. Things wouldn’t be the same with the Uncle.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 2

Sad to see his illustrious run atop the dohyo come to an end.

On the plus side, I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing & hearing from him in the broadcast announcer's seat. 

• Like 1

i was hoping for his intai for years

glad henkanishiki is no longer on the dohyo

sad it had to take an injury to make him quit

1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

In my previous company I knew it was time to go when the last person who had started working there before me left.

So you're either quite older than it seems or that company was crap. B-)