Sakura

Nagoya 2019 Discussion (here be spoilers)

Recommended Posts

Both Yokozuna and the only Ozeki to win won by hatakikomi today. None of them seemed particularly pleased about how they won their bouts. Doesn't seem like anyone at the top is comfortable right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, mt fuji said:

Both Yokozuna and the only Ozeki to win won by hatakikomi today. None of them seemed particularly pleased about how they won their bouts. Doesn't seem like anyone at the top is comfortable right now.

This is perfectly normal for yokozuna and ozeki in humdrum bouts. Just racking up the wins. They are perfectly fine with it. 

Edited by Pandaazuma
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Oh wow, great fight by Aoiyama with powerful full-weight thrusts and managing to keep Hakuho off his belt. But Hakuho is a superman. It is as if he can slow time to analyze every minute opportunity that presents itself, and put himself into a position to make use of it. And down Aoiyama goes...

Edited by orandashoho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Pandaazuma said:

This is perfectly normal for yokozuna and ozeki in humdrum bouts. Just ranking up the wins. They are perfectly fine with it. 

Didn't you see the look on Kakuryu and Takayasu's faces today? Kakuryu looked like he got away with one, Takayasu did a funny frown and shook his head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, mt fuji said:

Didn't you see the look on Kakuryu and Takayasu's faces today? Kakuryu looked like he got away with one, Takayasu did a funny frown and shook his head.

That is also par for the course. I have been watching sumo for about 35 years and there are always close shaves for the lads in the basho. Even for the zensho lads, it is never a cakewalk. But they get through nonetheless. And that is why they are ranked where they are.

Sumo has to be seen from a long-term perspective. Comments on a single basho or even three or four basho are basically meaningless in the grand view of things. I must admit I do enjoy the posts on here saying so-and-so looks fantastic after four days though. You can guess what many are saying about the same lad two months later. ;)

Edited by Pandaazuma
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

I hear you. No matter how many distinguished fans he has around here, I constantly find myself shouting names at him unsuitable for this family friendly forum.

How does the ignore thingy work around here? He did a superb job at shouting at them, as they were scratching their balls and not moving forward with the tachiai, and would have continued to do so till Kingdom Come. Kounosuke rules!!!!!!!!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

Today, Kimura Konosuke so disturbed the wrestlers with his incessant screaming every 3 seconds for them to put their hands down that he actually broke their concentration and caused them to stand back up.

He did not. I implore you to look again at what happened. I would like Kounosuke to be my brother. I will defend his honor to my last drop of hummus.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hakuhou now has 21 straight wins, when he's on the dohyo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kimura Konosuke has been noted as one of the most straightforward and serious gyoji in the NSK. Even the announcers at NHK seem to be taken in by how he exerts his authority. To me also he is a standout gyoji, and usually you never think about them. He is going to be a future Kimura Jonosuke, something lacking in sumo right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

I will defend his honor to my last drop of hummus.

You're welcome to do so here, Sir:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw Hakuho was censured for his pre-bout shenanigans and I reckon that's fair enough. That said, it was a good staredown. Aoiyama meant business and was in no mood for Hakuho's crap. Still came up short, but it was a respectable effort. "Today is the day I will beat him," he must have thought. Nope! But keep trying, you'll get him one of these days...maybe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

 Enho just tossing Yago to the ground like a rag doll.

 

10 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

He beat him by uwatehineri last time and a kainahineri today. Yago doesn’t like to twist. I bet he does not look good on a dance floor.

Spoiler

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I would like Kounosuke to be my brother. I will defend his honor to my last drop of hummus.

It took Kaninoyama and Jakusotsu to get our cherished co-member to join the conversation in this thread, so they are to be applauded.  But their "inflammatory";-) remarks are to be strongly condemned.

Kintamayama-sama, I could use a brother like you!  Please forgive all my past transgressions.

btw, Does anyone know why sanyaku gyoji Kimura Tamajiro is MIA this tournament?  It is curious that both the Shimpancho and gyoji from last tournament's controversial Asanoyama v. Tochinoshin bout are nowhere to be seen in Nagoya!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Hakuhou now has 21 straight wins, when he's on the dohyo.

Hakuho's win streak may motivate him to produce another zensho yusho in Nagoya.  Imagine him actually breaking Futabayama's 69 straight-wins record this year at the age of 34!  

Imagine too the Kyokai granting Kisenosato special dispensation to come out of retirement and return to the ring/banzuke if/when Hakuho reaches 67 straight wins.  That is probably why Araiso is still training hard with Takayasu. ;-)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Does anyone know why sanyaku gyoji Kimura Tamajiro is MIA this tournament?  It is curious that both the Shimpancho and gyoji from last tournament's controversial Asanoyama v. Tochinoshin bout are nowhere to be seen in Nagoya!

anybody who reads the kyujo thread

On 07/07/2019 at 22:26, Akinomaki said:
On 06/07/2019 at 19:06, Yubinhaad said:

Sanyaku gyoji Kimura Tamajiro and Sandanme gyoji Kimura Sakuranosuke are kyujo.

Tamajiro has a herniated disk and due to acute back pain needs 2 weeks of rest

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Amamaniac said:

Hakuho's win streak may motivate him to produce another zensho yusho in Nagoya.  Imagine him actually breaking Futabayama's 69 straight-wins record this year at the age of 34!  

Imagine too the Kyokai granting Kisenosato special dispensation to come out of retirement and return to the ring/banzuke if/when Hakuho reaches 67 straight wins.  That is probably why Araiso is still training hard with Takayasu. ;-)

Mathematically impossible because he’ll only get to 60 by the end

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mt fuji said:

Didn't you see the look on Kakuryu and Takayasu's faces today? Kakuryu looked like he got away with one, Takayasu did a funny frown and shook his head.

Takayasu is always like "yeah, I won, whatever", so nothing out of the ordinary for him. Kak's face was priceless though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

Mathematically impossible because he’ll only get to 60 by the end

Mathematically impossible re "this year", but mathematically possible re Hakuho being "34 years old" still if he were to pull it off.  My post was idle speculation anyway. (Bow...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

You're welcome to do so here, Sir:

 

I hope you are monitoring the results sir, as it seems that other than you, nobody hates him.. So far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dwale said:

I saw Hakuho was censured for his pre-bout shenanigans and I reckon that's fair enough. That said, it was a good staredown. Aoiyama meant business and was in no mood for Hakuho's crap. Still came up short, but it was a respectable effort. "Today is the day I will beat him," he must have thought. Nope! But keep trying, you'll get him one of these days...maybe.

Aoiyama did well in his losing effort.  I sure hope he beats Hakuho at least once before either one's career is over.   As the water boy says, "you can do it!" (Applauding...)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

He did not. I implore you to look again at what happened. I would like Kounosuke to be my brother. I will defend his honor to my last drop of hummus.

I stand by my view that he indeed did, but won't debate this any further.

At tachi-ai most (all non-Konosuke) gyoji will instruct the wrestlers to "matta nashi" and something to the effect of "hands down" once (maybe once more when they are taking a really long time to do so), and that is more than sufficient. So you really believe the facing-off rikishi need to have "hands down" screamed into their ears every five seconds while they are in the process of doing exactly that? If so, why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It is my belief that kyoji should be invisible as much as he can be.   I.e, they should not distract rikishi or fans.   If Konosuke went too far (personally, I wasn't paying attention), he should review his actions and adjust as appropriate.   OTOH, the "screaming" was applied to both rikishi so it should  not have affected the outcome of the bout.   Aren't we making something out of trivial stuff in this case?   IMHO, rikishi who purposefullly never touched down their hands is the bigger & real issue.   How many rikishi suffered a loss b/c of his opponent cheating this way?   Mattaaaaaaa!

Edited by robnplunder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't mind Konosuke's or any gyoji's "te wo tsuite". The "Oi hakkeyoi! Oi!" when rikishi are locked up bugs me sometimes though. That's when they're trying to listen to each other's breathing to pick their moment, meanwhile some guy's yelling at them. I guess that's something you feel as much as you hear though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

It is my belief that kyoji should be invisible as much as he can be.   I.e, they should not distract rikishi or fans.   If Konosuke went too far (personally, I wasn't paying attention), he should review his actions and adjust as appropriate.   OTOH, the "screaming" was applied to both rikishi so it should  not have affected the outcome of the bout.   Aren't we making something out of trivial stuff in this case?   IMHO, rikishi who purposefullly never touched down their hands is the bigger & real issue.   How many rikishi suffered a loss b/c of his opponent cheating this way?   Mattaaaaaaa!

I post clips of sumo bouts on my WeChat with a short explanation of what happened. Some time last year I posted a clip in which the gyoji got knocked down. A mate of mine commented that until that video he hadn’t noticed there was a ref in the ring. That’s how it should be. Gyoji should be like the gorilla in those videos of people throwing a basketball back and forth.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

It is my belief that kyoji should be invisible as much as he can be.   I.e, they should not distract rikishi or fans.   If Konosuke went too far (personally, I wasn't paying attention), he should review his actions and adjust as appropriate.   OTOH, the "screaming" was applied to both rikishi so it should  not have affected the outcome of the bout.   Aren't we making something out of trivial stuff in this case?   IMHO, rikishi who purposefullly never touched down their hands is the bigger & real issue.   How many rikishi suffered a loss b/c of his opponent cheating this way?   Mattaaaaaaa!

Yesterday he went too far, and even he realized it. He toned it down considerably following the matta, and kept the tone down for the following match.

And yes, of course this is all trivial and none of it matters one iota in the great scheme of things, but it is after all a sumo forum, and this is the kind of stuff that we discuss just for the hell of it :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now