Sakura

Nagoya 2019 Discussion (here be spoilers)

1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

Hakuho has plans to open his own heya and recruited Enho for that purpose, so it would be odd if he was bothered about his deshi getting a bit of publicity. As an Oyakata his whole job will be to get the likes of Enho up to the level where they’re getting public attention. Also, over the years Hakuho has been happy to give advice and urge other rikishi, especially the Mongolians, on to better things. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t in fact feel a lot of pride at seeing Enho doing so well.

Agreed. Any success Enho has is also Hakuho's. He picked a highly skilled little guy with the intention (it seems to me) of seeing if he could get him to the top level purely through skill rather than size. So far, much like everything Hak does in sumo, it has been successful. I think he'd be ecstatic

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Morty said:

Agreed. Any success Enho has is also Hakuho's. He picked a highly skilled little guy with the intention (it seems to me) of seeing if he could get him to the top level purely through skill rather than size. So far, much like everything Hak does in sumo, it has been successful. I think he'd be ecstatic

I wonder if Hakuho quietly laments that lack of technicians in modern sumo and has set himself the modest challenge of developing one or two as a way of addressing that. Young Japanese rikishi seem to overwhelmingly favour oshizumo and even the yotsu guys aren’t that sophisticated in their technique, but sumo needs grapplers to stay interesting. To a Mongolian the idea of wrestling without actual wrestling must be anathema.

Also, commiserations on the cricket. It was as one-sided as Hakuho taking on Hattorizakura. 

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Morty said:

So far, much like everything Hak does in sumo, it has been successful.

CoughYamaguchiCough... 

• Like 3

Wow, an impressive win by Sokokurai, lifting Hidenoumi out of the ring.  The guy is looking his age though.  

More impressive win by Ishiura against Yutakayama but unwarranted extra push at the end.

3 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

Enho just tossing Yago to the ground like a rag doll.

He beat him by uwatehineri last time and a kainahineri today. Yago doesn’t like to twist. I bet he does not look good on a dance floor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

He beat him by uwatehineri last time and a kainahineri today. Yago doesn’t like to twist. I bet he does not look good on a dance floor.

Yago won't look good on any floor.   

Enho faces Kagayaki on day 7, their first match against each other.  I like Enho's chance to go 6-1.   Kagayaki will lose before he can find Enho :-D.   Enho for jun-yusho!

Takagenji does a deep vow after losing today.   I am shocked!  Nice tilt by Okinoumi after getting startled by Takagenji's slap to side of his belly.   

Edited by robnplunder
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Terutsuyoshi's zensho yusho hopes are dashed.

Meanwhile, fellow diminutive stablemate Midorifuji wins again to remain unbeaten at 3-0 at Ms11, his best ever rank. 

Edited by Kaninoyama

Today, Kimura Konosuke so disturbed the wrestlers with his incessant screaming every 3 seconds for them to put their hands down that he actually broke their concentration and caused them to stand back up.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

Today, Kimura Konosuke so disturbed the wrestlers with his incessant screaming every 3 seconds for them to put their hands down that he actually broke their concentration and caused them to stand back up.

I hear you. No matter how many distinguished fans he has around here, I constantly find myself shouting names at him unsuitable for this family friendly forum.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Kaninoyama said:

Terutsuyoshi's zensho yusho hopes are dashed.

Remind that to Eikokurai ...

Ichinojo looks good again.  Aoiyama came closer to beating Hak.  That probably as close he gets to beat Hak (less fusen).

I don't know about you guys but I'm enjoying this basho immensely so far. Exciting bouts every single day. That Hakuho-Aoyama musubi no ban was amazing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

Remind that to Eikokurai ...

Ichinojo looks good again.  Aoiyama came closer to beating Hak.  That probably as close he gets to beat Hak (less fusen).

Hey, I only predicted a bog-standard yusho, not a zensho.

I’m no fool.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Senkoho said:

CoughYamaguchiCough... 

While giving his uchi-deshi all the training needed to reach makuuchi quickly, he hasn't revealed to them the secret of how to avoid bigger injuries till reaching yokozuna. Maybe one central part of that secret is to wreck your training opponents - but his deshi can neither do that nor avoid to train with him.

Edited by Akinomaki

8 minutes ago, Rainoyama said:

I don't know about you guys but I'm enjoying this basho immensely so far. Exciting bouts every single day. That Hakuho-Aoyama musubi no ban was amazing.

Can't say that I've ever truly not enjoyed a basho.  Somehow the ozumo 15-day tournament format never fails to deliver, both on and off the dohyo.

The Hakuho v. Aoiyama bout was indeed noteworthy, but I couldn't help think that Hakuho is no longer able to show his physical dominance, and so now is relying on experience and a cool head.  His reaction to Aoiyama's final charge was textbook perfect!

But if I were to apply the word "amazing" to any of today's bouts, I would go with the crowd, and choose Enho v. Yago.  It was a tough win for "Mighty Mouse" as I like to call him, but that more than any left me amazed!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Hey, I only predicted a bog-standard yusho, not a zensho.

I’m no fool.

No zensho yusho for Tomokaze either.   

I am glad Rainoyama is enjoying this basho.   It is a two-horse race from day 1, i.e., no drama.  For me, there is only Enho entertainment.  Nothing else to see as all my favorites are a no show.

8 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

No zensho yusho for Tomokaze either.   

I am glad Rainoyama is enjoying this basho.   It is a two-horse race from day 1, i.e., no drama.  For me, there is only Enho entertainment.  Nothing else to see as all my favorites are a no show.

Probably going to be a straightforward fight between the two Yokozuna (until day 11 when Kakuryu starts his 5-bout losing streak), but we can hope for an upset. Takayasu could yet play his part in the yusho race and even Ichinojo is creeping up (now just one off the pace). 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

On the plus side, his timely assistance prevented Shimanoumi from crashing all the way down to the ocean. This version of Ichinojo is scary.

Edited by Koorifuu

2 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

I hear you. No matter how many distinguished fans he has around here, I constantly find myself shouting names at him unsuitable for this family friendly forum.

I absolutely hate it. Power-trip city. I can just see him at around 10pm in a local yakitori after six shochus telling the rapt locals that 'you have to be strict with these young know-nothings' etc. ;)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

And yes I was also shouting those unsuitable words. ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

I’m not sure what happened but he’s definitely gone over the top now.

Sad for Tomokaze losing, hopefully he’ll keep the kachikoshi streak alive nonetheless.

Enhō is a treat.

Hakuhō–Aoiyama niramiai was weird. Hakuhō had more trouble with the bouth than I expected, not that I have a great memory of it but I think he usually just grabbed the belt at tachiai and threw Aoiyama easily in the past.

Just now, ALAKTORN said:

Hakuhō–Aoiyama niramiai was weird. Hakuhō had more trouble with the bouth than I expected, not that I have a great memory of it but I think he usually just grabbed the belt at tachiai and threw Aoiyama easily in the past.

But that way he would not have been able to daunt Aoiyama by flexing his biceps.

4 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Time to find some new favorites!

3 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Takayasu could yet play his part in the yusho race 

I'm a Takayasu fan, but I'll believe it when I see it...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, mt fuji said:

I'm a Takayasu fan, but I'll believe it when I see it...

He’s one off the pace. That’s already playing a part because it forces the Yokozuna to stay perfect. They have no margin for error. The only question is whether Takayasu can keep it going deep into week two when it really matters.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 1