Sakura

Nagoya 2019 Discussion (here be spoilers)

1 hour ago, RabidJohn said:

I think there's also the fact that Terutsuyoshi is small and agile enough to keep up with anything Enho can do, whereas the latter can run rings around much larger. less mobile rikishi - quite literally in Kaisei's case.

True.  Enho is better against lumbering giants.   I think Ura (who?) was like that.

The funny thing about Enho vs Terutsuyoshi was the fact that the gyoji was the same size as them

• Like 1

Nice basho so far. Kakuryu is looking good, let's see if he can keep it up.

I feel obliged to say that I am a Ryuden fan. His sumo is based in intillegence and resilience and I like his calm demeanor. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

There seems to be a shift in the shimpan directives this tournament.  More monoii end with a torinaoshi redo rather than a sashichigae reversal of the referee's call.  The Myogiryu v. Onosho bout is a prime example.  It should have been clear to all the judges that Onosho's left heel went over the tawara bale in the first run through.  At least, it was significantly clearer (to me, anyway) that his heel touched out as opposed to last tournament's case involving Asanoyama v. Tochinoshin, where the judges felt they should reverse the referee's call in a case that was splitting hairs (or grains of sand from the Georgian's heel).  But in this post-debacle age, the judges (Sakaigawa anyway) seem content to simply call a redo and avoid controversy.

I have yet to see all the bouts, but my impression is that there has yet to be a reversal called.  If that is in fact the case, I predict that we won't see any reversals this tournament, unless it involves a blatant mistake by the gyoji.

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 1

I feel like I'm suddenly in a weird backwards world where shimpan explanations are simple, clear, refer to the rikishi with correct names and actually make sense! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Very pleased to see Terutsuyoshi get off to such a great start, but we've seen this movie before. Gravity inevitably pulls him toward either an 8-7 or 7-8 record. Maybe this time will be different and he can solidify his footing in Makuuchi. 

30 minutes ago, dingo said:

I feel like I'm suddenly in a weird backwards world where shimpan explanations are simple, clear, refer to the rikishi with correct names and actually make sense! 

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

Very pleased to see Terutsuyoshi get off to such a great start, but we've seen this movie before. Gravity inevitably pulls him toward either an 8-7 or 7-8 record. Maybe this time will be different and he can solidify his footing in Makuuchi. 

Maybe with a different actor, but this is his strongest start by far in Makuuchi. After four days in his previous two basho he was 1-3 and 2-2. I do agree though that he will likely be slowed down and end up with a margin of a couple of wins or losses.

Edited by Eikokurai

3 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Maybe with a different actor, but this is his strongest start by far in Makuuchi. After four days in his previous two basho he was 1-3 and 2-2. I do agree though that he will likely be slowed down and end up with a margin of a couple of wins or losses.

Same actor, different setting. I was referring to his prior Juryo performances, where he's gotten off to strong starts before and inevitably stalled.

That said, Teru is one of my favorites and I've been singing his praises since I saw him train close up at the Isegahama training camp in Niigata while he was still down in Makushita (I even got my picture taken with him!).

Whether he grinds out another 8-7 or breaks through this basho with a double-digit performance, I'm definitely a long-term buyer and believe he'll continue to rise. 

9 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

Same actor, different setting. I was referring to his prior Juryo performances, where he's gotten off to strong starts before and inevitably stalled.

That said, Teru is one of my favorites and I've been singing his praises since I saw him train close up at the Isegahama training camp in Niigata while he was still down in Makushita (I even got my picture taken with him!).

Whether he grinds out another 8-7 or breaks through this basho with a double-digit performance, I'm definitely a long-term buyer and believe he'll continue to rise. 

Fair enough, yeah. Though even in Juryo he never managed more than three wins in his first four days (three times) so this is his strongest opening as a sekitori. I hope he can maintain it or at least pick up enough wins to avoid a demotion. He’s in a vulnerable spot but we’ve seen guys, like Chiyoshoma recently, survive at the bottom with a makekoshi before. Much of that also depends on what happens at the top of Juryo, of course.

2 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

There seems to be a shift in the shimpan directives this tournament.  More monoii end with a torinaoshi redo rather than a sashichigae reversal of the referee's call.

I've noticed it, too.  It will be interesting to see if this persists throughout the basho.

Must be their way of “addressing” last basho’s controversy

Posted (edited)

The sumo association is a caring, thinking organization that listens to the people and heeds their advice. It heard the public’s complaints about the Asanoyama-Tochinoshin controversy and acted with typical swiftness and decisiveness. Hakkaku and his team have always had their fingers firmly on the pulse of public opinion.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

After he beat Enho and took the kensho from the Gyoji his actions were very Hakuho like in the way he accepted the envelope, his facial expressions, everything. When I was younger I used to mimic the actions of my favourite sport stars. I can imagine younger up and coming rikishi doing the same, immitating the top stars in an attempt to be like them and then that just following through to the real thing when they finally make it to the big time. (I used to try and bat like Viv Richards and bowl like Dennis Lillie and kick a footy like the Krakeour brothers...)

• Like 1

You’re showing your age there @Morty. :)

Watching the World Cup semi later? I’d like to say I’m confident about England’s chances, but Australians always like to ruin our fun.

Anyone following Tebakari's flight?   He is a 19 year old 188 cm tall dude who went KK 9 of 10 times.  He just went 3-0 at Ms 8.  Once his body fills out and gain some experience, he may be a Makuuchi mainstay.   

Another young prospect Hoshoryu improved to 2-1 beating feisty Churanoumi.   That was a fine display of skills by both rikishi but Hoshoryu's athleticism prevailed in the end.  He reminds me of Chiyoshoma albeit more skillful version.

1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

You’re showing your age there @Morty. :)

Watching the World Cup semi later? I’d like to say I’m confident about England’s chances, but Australians always like to ruin our fun.

And, like Hakuho, they have been there so many times before. England's last semi-final was in 1992.

Did Chiyoshoma just invent the okurisukuiotoshi?

34 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

We should have a thread about non-existent kimarite which should exist. There are a whole load which do but which we seldom see, but often I think “How is there no kimarite to describe XYZ?” 

37 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

That was so cool to watch when it happened.

Eikokurai may get his prediction right.  Terutsuyoshi yusho!   :-D

Just now, robnplunder said:

That was so cool to watch when it happened.

Eikokurai may get his prediction right.  Terutsuyoshi yusho!   :-D

My joke prediction for Asanoyama came true. Maybe I’m some sort of sumo prophet without realizing it ... hmm.

Posted (edited)

Another wildly impressive win by Enho ...  if Terutsuyoshi didn't beat him, he'd take the yusho with a playoff win over Hakuho.   ;-)

Edited by robnplunder

Can someone please give Kimura Konosuke a desk job facing the window with Onomatsu Oyakata?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Tochinoshin is now the first Ozeki to start 0-5 twice in a calendar year, including losses by fusen on day five. It’s only happened 15 times since records began. Excluding fusen, as is the case for him in Nagoya, it’s only happened 8 times.

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query_bout.aspx?show_form=0&day=5&m=on&rank1=O&wins1=0

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 2