Sakura

Nagoya 2019 Discussion (here be spoilers)

Well the drama builds...Takayasu looks done, Hakaho losses and Kakaryuu looking solid... going to be an exciting finish...go Kakaryuu! !

1 hour ago, Jakusotsu said:

That would imply aiming for losses after his eighth win. Even a 9-6 would probably put him right into the meatgrinder with all the same opponents as Komusubi have.

Of course, you are right about that.  Perhaps it's just me, but I have always had the impression that some wrestlers (i.e., Kyokutenho) fight less hard once they have their kachikoshis, so that they can stay in the Top Division, not have to fight tougher opponents, and avoid serious injury.  A "career before glory" strategy?

Edited by Amamaniac

45 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Of course, you are right about that.  Perhaps it's just me, but I have always had the impression that some wrestlers (i.e., Kyokutenho) fight less hard once they have their kachikoshis, so that they can stay in the Top Division, not have to fight tougher opponents, and avoid serious injury.  A "career before glory" strategy?

IMO, that has to be a special circumstance when a rikishi is nursing an injury but KK'd already.   I can see such rikishi doing just well enough to avoid injury.  This happens in other sports, too.   But I'd bet my last drop of Japanese green tea that most top athletes will do their best to win once they are on the spotlight.   Of course, there'd be exceptions.   You mentioned Kyokutenho as an example.   At one point, I suspected Ichinojo to manage his ranking so that he doesn't want to be in the meat grinder (M1, M2).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Ozeki potential for sure.  I've been watching every basho since Mitakeumi's was in juryo.   Since then, I've seen many young rikishi rising up fast to Makuuchi level.  Of those who made the "rise," only Takakeisho has made the Ozeki rank.  All others have come and stalled.   Having said that, I think Tomokaze has the most potential to become Ozenki.   Let's not even mention the 'Y' word.  No one from college rank ever made it that far if I remember correctly.

54th Yokozuna Wajima was a double university champion who entered sumo as a makushita tsukedashi and went on to win 14 yusho.

• Like 1