Sakura

Nagoya 2019 Discussion (here be spoilers)

15 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Just tuned in now on the QQ stream using the pub’s WiFi while I wait for the cricket final, so I’ve missed all but the last two bouts. Onosho looked surprisingly good and Asanoyama dealt with Endo very effectively.

Nothing much - no big surprises, amazing moves, etc..   I did enjoy Toynoshima's win against the up and coming Takagenji whose KK is now in doubt.   

Mitakeumi looks good so far.  He needs to get another 4 - 5 wins to rekindle his Ozeki hope.   No Ozeki like consistency in Mitakeumi though.  He looks very strong one day and will lose to mid-maegishira the next.   

Takayasu may have injured his arm?   

• Like 1

Watching a 200kg man attempt a henka against a guy half his size is one of the more incongruous things I have seen in sumo...

And serious props to Takayasu. His elbow was hyper-extended about 5 seconds before the match ended and he fought on and ended up winning it. These guys are seriously tough.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Morty said:

Watching a 200kg man attempt a henka against a guy half his size is one of the more incongruous things I have seen in sumo...

And serious props to Takayasu. His elbow was hyper-extended about 5 seconds before the match ended and he fought on and ended up winning it. These guys are seriously tough.

True, but could someone explain to me what it is that made Tamawashi go down? Did he slip?

Hakuho´s opponents seem to do everything to deny him a grip, and are then easy victims of his this basho´s plan B.

2 hours ago, Rainoyama said:

This is why I dislike Tamawashi so much. Let's hope Takayasu's arm is no broken...

Remember Kaio ?

2 hours ago, Rainoyama said:

This is why I dislike Tamawashi so much. Let's hope Takayasu's arm is no broken...

Wasn’t there a basho not long ago in which he injured two rikishi with his kotenage? It’s quite the ‘weapon’.

15 minutes ago, Rocks said:

True, but could someone explain to me what it is that made Tamawashi go down? Did he slip?

Takayasu smacked him on the chin which seemed to be enough to knock him down

13 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Wasn’t there a basho not long ago in which he injured two rikishi with his kotenage? It’s quite the ‘weapon’.

Exactly my point...

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Nagoya 2018, but I am not sure though if those injuries were all related to kotenage. Tochinoshin injured his toe... Interestingly, Tamawashi hasn´t used it since.

Edited by Gospodin
addition

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Gospodin said:

Nagoya 2018, but I am not sure though if those injuries were all related to kotenage. Tochinoshin injured his toe... 

Well, okay, on that occasion it was the kotoenage.

I think Kotoshogiku and Chiyonokuni were the ones who were injured on the elbow.

Edited by Eikokurai

16 hours ago, robnplunder said:

I think he will top out at Sekiwake and mostly go up and down mid-maegishira ranks.  He seems to be a bit short on size, power, and skills to go anywhere.   The guy I see as a potential Sanyuku regular is Tomokaze who is working on 13 straight KK since debut.    I thought he'd go MK in the last basho but he won his last 3 matches to end 8-7 - how's that for coming through?   He has the size, youth on his side.   Speaking of size & youth, Takagenji and Takanofuji are taller and even younger than the aforementioned.   They remind me of W/Takanohana pair.  Will see how the twins progress.  Their last two basho progresses have been nothing short of stellar. 

I, too, have been watching Tomokaze with interest. And I like what I see.

Chiyomaru did what now? lol...I had to watch the replay just to be sure my eyes weren't deceiving me. 

Shodai is 4-4, which isn't bad for a joi-jin. The guy has skills, I just wonder if he's ever going to get anywhere with them.

Mitakeumi has gotten rather thick in the middle. Doesn't seem to be slowing him down, though, but I do have to wonder how it's going to affect his knees long term.

That really did not look good for Takayasu. I hope he's ok, I was counting on him to make things interesting in the yusho race (in addition to his being one of my favorites).

17 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

I think the dame oshi extra shove is off limits against Yokozunas.  At least, I have never seen it happen.  As much as some fans might hope to see Hakuho "get some of his own medicine" as it were, I think any sekitori would resist the urge to do the deed.  That said, Aoiyama might just be foolish enough to try ... if the opportunity ever arises.

I started following sumo at the end of Asashoryu's career, and he would routinely resort to the extra shove.  While the Kyokai frowned on it, it seems to be a Yokozuna prerogative, and something that may be rooted in Japanese culture...

Remember the extra shove from Asashoryu to Hakuho after pulling him down (May 2008) ? That glare Hakuho gave Asa was for the ages.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Gospodin said:

Hakuho´s opponents seem to do everything to deny him a grip, and are then easy victims of his this basho´s plan B.

The way I look at it is, Hakuho's right bicep is not fully healed, so Hakuho is relying more on non-yotsu zumo.  Oddly enough, his non-yotsu zumo is not exactly oshi-zumo.  He seems to be pulling out every trick he has in his bag in order to get the wins he needs.

When he has entered yotsu battles this tournament, he is relying heavily on his left arm.  I suspect that he is keenly aware that he needs to avoid straining his injured right arm.  Seeing that he has a double supporter on his left elbow, obviously that arm is not 100% either!

Given this situation, I believe Kakuryu has the advantage in terms of winning the yusho championship.

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 1

Kakaryuu vs. Hakahou in the last day would be my best wanted outcome.. Want to see Kagayaki, Toyonoshima and Chiomaru do well... i like Terutsuyoshi better then enho...lil more size and speed and all about footwork! ! Both excellent footwork. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Philioyamfugi said:

Kakaryuu vs. Hakahou in the last day would be my best wanted outcome.. Want to see Kagayaki, Toyonoshima and Chiomaru do well... i like Terutsuyoshi better then enho...lil more size and speed and all about footwork! ! Both excellent footwork. 

How long since the last basho that was decided in the last match of the tournament?

16 minutes ago, Kotomiyama said:

How long since the last basho that was decided in the last match of the tournament?

You mean by 2 rikishi going 14-0 and facing each other? That would be Harumafuji against Hakuho in July 2012. Harumafuji won.

If not 14-0, then believe the last one was Kakuryu against Takayasu in March 2018, where both went 12-2 into final day and face each other. Kakuryu won.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, RPedro44 said:

You mean by 2 rikishi going 14-0 and facing each other? That would be Harumafuji against Hakuho in July 2012. Harumafuji won.

If not 14-0, then believe the last one was Kakuryu against Takayasu in March 2018, where both went 12-2 into final day and face each other. Kakuryu won.

One way or the other, the answer I was looking for.

Thank you!

御嶽海(左)は逸ノ城を押し出しで破る(撮影・前岡正明)

It took 3 takes to get the "breathing" to match at the tachi ai but in the end Sekiwake Mitakeumi prevailed over Ichinojo to preserve his two losses and keep his hopes of back to back yushos in Nagoya alive. The 226kg mongolian giant managed to get a left uwate at the tachi ai i but Mitakeumi kept his fierce oshi attack going, cutting Ichinojo's grip and pushing him out of the dohyo.

"I managed to completely cut his grip with calm, my intention was to get my arms inside. It's not good if I don't take the initiative to attack" He reflected 

"The content of my sumo during the first half wasn't bad but I need to reflect on it, reset and forge my body one more time" 

Ozeki Takakeisho, Tochinoshin, Goeido are out, Takayasu looks like he injured his arm quite badly and may be out as well, with so many top dogs out Mitakeumi wants to take more responsabilities "I intend to carry the ichimon and heat up the basho"

Can he chase the yokozuna and make the race more interesting ?

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201907140000896.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Rainoyama said:

While at a visceral level, I think most people would agree with you.  But, kotenage arm bar throws are not kinjite restricted moves, but rather recognised kimarite techniques.  One shouldn't dislike a rikishi for using techniques that they are free to and even taught to use.  Frankly, kotenage is a very effective throw.

Out of curiosity, I checked the kimarite for Tamawashi's Hatsubasho championship, and kotenage did not come up.  I suspect that for Tamawashi, kotenage is something of desperation manoeuvre.  It is odd to me that an oshi-zumo wrestler would have much occasion to use the technique.  It usually occurs using the arm of one's opponent that has a grip on your mawashi during yotsu-battles.  But of course, feisty opponents can get a grip on one's mawashi during oshi-battles.

Yes, I wish he wouldn't use kotenage, but I still have respect for Tamawashi as a sumo wrestler.

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Rainoyama said:
Ozeki Takakeisho, Tochinoshin, Goeido are out, Takayasu looks like he injured his arm quite badly and may be out as well, with so many top dogs out Mitakeumi wants to take more responsabilities "I intend to carry the ichimon and heat up the basho"

Can he chase the yokozuna and make the race more interesting ?

Goeido is out too?  Bummer but a good news for Mitakeumi.   He won't contend for the yusho with Kak & Hak going zensho so far.   But 11 or 12 wins will go a long way to set up his Ozeki run.   Mitakeumi is an enigma though.  After a brilliant mini run looking very strong, he gives away a loss or two against lesser opponent - a sign that he is not good enough to be an Ozeki yet.

2 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

While at a visceral level, I think most people would agree with you.  But, kotenage arm bar throws are not kinjite restricted moves, but rather recognised kimarite techniques.  One shouldn't dislike a rikishi for using techniques that they are free to and even taught to use.  Frankly, kotenage is a very effective throw.

Out of curiosity, I checked the kimarite for Tamawashi's Hatsubasho championship, and kotenage did not come up.  I suspect that for Tamawashi, kotenage is something of desperation manoeuvre.  It is odd to me that an oshi-zumo wrestler would have much occasion to use the technique.  It usually occurs using the arm of one's opponent that has a grip on your mawashi during yotsu-battles.  But of course, feisty opponents can get a grip on one's mawashi during oshi-battles.

Yes, I wish he wouldn't use kotenage, but I still have respect for Tamawashi as a sumo wrestler.

When well executed kotenage is a nice move, when it's not it can be dangerous but the move is legal you are completely right. I just dislike Tamawashi on a visceral level like you said for attempting the technique when he doesn't have any chance of success. No way he wasn't going for the actual throw today he had no real leverage he just caught Takayasu's arm and bent it in an horrible way. If it was just a one time thing fine, but it's not the first time he injures someone in such a short time and it can be very serious injury. I think he deserves recognition for his late bloom and yusho but I personally dislike him for his roughness,  tachi ai mindgames and contrasting goofiness outside the dohyo.

• Like 1

Would like Kakuryu to take this one.. let us see.. 

but overall I'm loving this basho and the new blood are looking very promising!

Ichinojou will beat Hakuhou tomorrow. Anyone with me on this?

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Kintamayama said:

Ichinojou will beat Hakuhou tomorrow. Anyone with me on this?

First!