Sakura

Nagoya 2019 Discussion (here be spoilers)

Kotoeko was far from being out, at least compared to Tochinoshin. Didn't even need to see a replay.

Spirited bout by Daieisho, kudos!

And those beautiful yukata, more of it please.

1 hour ago, Benihana said:

Kotoeko was far from being out, at least compared to Tochinoshin. Didn't even need to see a replay.

Agreed, well and truly still in

I remember the other day Kinta mentioned that Daieisho is one of the most underrated rikishi. After watching the ring-entering ceremony yesterday, I have to agree. The crowd cheers like crazy for some of these folks, and cheers middling for others. When they announced "Daiiiiieiiiiishooooo!" the crowd was like, "Dai-who now?" Poor guy.

If we learned anything from his bout against Hakuho, it's that he has amazing balance at the very least. Well, he's still young and has plenty of time to make a name for himself.

• Like 2

鶴竜(左)は正代を寄り切りで破る(撮影・前岡正明)

It only took 5,3 seconds to Yokuzuna Kakuryu to dispose of his "favourite victim" Shodai on day 7 despite the later's improved Tachi ai and good form of late.

Shodai record is now a respectable 4-3 with two of his wins being against sorry ozeki Tochinoshin and Goeido. Kakuryu secured a left mae mawashi and a right uwate right from the tachi ai and pushed him out to stay unbeaten. The two men are from the same Tokitsukaze Ichimon and train with each other a lot as we all know, Kakuryu destroying Shodai every time. Despite that the Yokozuna refused to take this bout for granted "Honbasho is very different from training" he explained.

Kakuryu's back doesn't seem to bother him too much so far and according to the man himself he is feeling is better and better. "I started the basho with the mindset of winning quickly to preserve my back, but as the days are going by I am calming down"

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201907130000984.html

(The picture from the Nikkan article)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

碧山(右)を攻める高安(撮影・前岡正明)

Ozeki Takayasu secured an important win against his nemesis Aoiyama today to preserve a 6-1 record and stay in the race. The ozeki was just 7-11 against the bulgarian in the first division before today.

"Today I managed to come out with more calm. I'm glad I could do my sumo without rushing things" he commented.

Araiso Oyakata (ex Kisenosato) his former stablemate who was on NHK today explained that not training much before the basho due to back pain actually helped Takayasu "He tends to overwork so it was a well needed rest for him. He is in the best shape I've seen him in a year" he analysed.

Takayasu absolutely hates the heat and also benefits from the cooler temperatures of late in Nagoya, with fewer days over 30. "It helps me to be in good shape" explained the ozeki.

Can he continue his good run and win his first yusho ?

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201907130000786.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Dwale said:

I remember the other day Kinta mentioned that Daieisho is one of the most underrated rikishi. After watching the ring-entering ceremony yesterday, I have to agree. The crowd cheers like crazy for some of these folks, and cheers middling for others. When they announced "Daiiiiieiiiiishooooo!" the crowd was like, "Dai-who now?" Poor guy.

And it's not the first time that the press mixes him up with other Daishos - Daily general news give Daishomaru in the caption of the Hakuho bout http://www.daily.co.jp/general/2019/07/13/0012511958.shtml 

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

And it's not the first time that the press mixes him up with other Daishos - Daily general news give Daishomaru in the caption of the Hakuho bout http://www.daily.co.jp/general/2019/07/13/0012511958.shtml 

I'm surprised they even know about daishomaru to be honest, Daieisho is way more talented and has a tiny little bit of charisma whereas Daishomaru's is non-existent.

Edited by Rainoyama

9 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Then after the bout was over, Hakuho pressed down on Daieisho as if to say "stay down".  I guess that can be classified as a gesture of love from the Yokozuna.  But I have never liked that sort of thing.

This is the part of Hakuho I hate.  He seems to these "extras" more often than any others.  No need for those.   Someday, Aoiyama will yorikiri Hak out and give him the extra push ... (Noddingyes...)

Enho beats Chiyomaru today.   My prediction of the day.

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

This is the part of Hakuho I hate.  He seems to these "extras" more often than any others.  No need for those.   Someday, Aoiyama will yorikiri Hak out and give him the extra push ... (Noddingyes...)

I think the dame oshi extra shove is off limits against Yokozunas.  At least, I have never seen it happen.  As much as some fans might hope to see Hakuho "get some of his own medicine" as it were, I think any sekitori would resist the urge to do the deed.  That said, Aoiyama might just be foolish enough to try ... if the opportunity ever arises.

I started following sumo at the end of Asashoryu's career, and he would routinely resort to the extra shove.  While the Kyokai frowned on it, it seems to be a Yokozuna prerogative, and something that may be rooted in Japanese culture...

Edited by Amamaniac

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Dwale said:

If we learned anything from his bout against Hakuho, it's that he has amazing balance at the very least. Well, he's still young and has plenty of time to make a name for himself.

I think he will top out at Sekiwake and mostly go up and down mid-maegishira ranks.  He seems to be a bit short on size, power, and skills to go anywhere.   The guy I see as a potential Sanyuku regular is Tomokaze who is working on 13 straight KK since debut.    I thought he'd go MK in the last basho but he won his last 3 matches to end 8-7 - how's that for coming through?   He has the size, youth on his side.   Speaking of size & youth, Takagenji and Takanofuji are taller and even younger than the aforementioned.   They remind me of W/Takanohana pair.  Will see how the twins progress.  Their last two basho progresses have been nothing short of stellar. 

Edited by robnplunder

Tomokaze seems to have adopted his mentor Yoshikaze's approach at the tachiai, I think every bout this basho he has put both hands down first and waited for his opponent. I never noticed if he was already doing that in previous basho, maybe Yoshikaze's absence caused me to pay more attention to the habits of others.

13 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Curse of the robnplunder continues.   I predicted Enho's win vs Kagayaki and, predictably, Kagayaki blows away Enho.  My apologies to Enho.

Don't feel too bad about it.  Somehow, I don't think it was your fault.  But if you want to take credit, then by all means ... (Laughing...)

Watching the bout over again, Enho came out with a poor strategy, while Kagayaki had a great tall-man-vs-short-man strategy IMHO.  

Out of the tachiai, Enho uses a Hakuho-esque harite slap, which did two things: (1) it straightened him up, and (2) it delayed his own submarine attack.  Meanwhile, Kagayaki kept both his arms in and his hands down low so that he could keep Enho off his mawashi and lift him up if necessary.  Without being able to get at Kagayaki's mawashi belt, he was an easy target for an oshi thrust.  If other opponents get wind of this tactic, Enho could be in trouble.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Not a bad effort from Daieisho there against Hakuho. I expected that to be over much faster.

He seems to have good ability to take blows and regaining his balance. Really impressive.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

Tomokaze seems to have adopted his mentor Yoshikaze's approach at the tachiai, I think every bout this basho he has put both hands down first and waited for his opponent. I never noticed if he was already doing that in previous basho, maybe Yoshikaze's absence caused me to pay more attention to the habits of others.

I've seen a few of his high school matches and many of his university matches and he did it then too. I have some respect for the guys that just go straight for it, no posturing or funny business.

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 2

Midorifuji, all 100 kilos of him, is now 4-0 at Ms11. A couple more wins and he could be well positioned for a Juryo promotion by the end of this year. 

Posted (edited)

Strange stuff with my ex-adoptee Homarefuji.  After a year and a half of crash, burn and kyujo, he returned on Day 13 of natsu and is now on a 5 match win streak at Jd14.

Edited by Asojima

15 minutes ago, specialweek 2 said:

Next basho two kadoban ozeki and 1 sekiwake needing 10 to regain rank, a first?

That in itself should make for a spirited basho.

Posted (edited)

Does anyone know what this annoying constant chanting is about? First I thought it was some deranged spectator, but since it happens every day, there must be method to this madness.

Edit:...and as soon as I ask, he shuts up - perfect! Should have asked earlier...

Edited by Jakusotsu
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jakusotsu said:

Does anyone know what this annoying constant chanting is about? First I thought it was some deranged spectator, but since it happens every day, there must be method to this madness.

A beer seller walking just in the vicinity of the Abema camera  - he was close enough: it is beer - ikaga desu ka

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Thanks 1

That was a good win by Toyonoshima albeit aided by poor finish by Takagenji.   

I am predicting Enho to lose 3 in a row on day 9.   This will fire him up and beat the aforementioned Takagenji.   

Just tuned in now on the QQ stream using the pub’s WiFi while I wait for the cricket final, so I’ve missed all but the last two bouts. Onosho looked surprisingly good and Asanoyama dealt with Endo very effectively.

This is why I dislike Tamawashi so much. Let's hope Takayasu's arm is no broken...

• Like 1