Sign in to follow this  
Yubinhaad

Kyujo Updates for 2019 Nagoya

Just filling in for Fukurou who seems to be kyujo herself at the moment. Here are the absentees for the start of the basho.

MAKUUCHI

Ozeki Takakeisho
M11e Yoshikaze

MAKUSHITA

Mk6e Chiyonokuni
Mk56w Tsushimanada

SANDANME

Sd1e Tennozan
Sd2w Obamaumi
Sd62e Fukunofuji
Sd64e Tokiryu
Sd72e Ariake
Sd73e Kotonoumi
Sd76w Ura
Sd78e Hao
Sd88w Sadanohana
Sd94w Mitsuuchi
Sd97e Surugafuji

JONIDAN

Jd28w Aomihama
Jd48w Nankairiki
Jd52e Ryubu
Jd56w Wakaseiun
Jd80e Chiyotaiyo
Jd83e Otsuji
Jd90w Kotourasaki
Jd95w Tsuyasato
Jd97w Mimori
Jd98w Denpoya
Jd109w Ayaminato

JONOKUCHI

Jk23w Asahimaru
Jk26e Murata
Jk33w Taiga

Banzuke-gai Omura said when the banzuke came out that his injury was 80% healed and he plans to participate in maezumo (perhaps a one-bout-and-out job). I've also heard Urutora may be ready to begin yet another comeback as well, but we'll have to wait and see if that happens.

Odake-beya reported that Sandanme yobidashi Takahiro retired for personal reasons as of May 25th, after 13 years in the job.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Rumours of Hitenryu's retirement appear to have been greatly overstated - he fights Hokutoyoshi on the opening day.

Musashigawa-beya reports that Ryubu has a knee injury, while Takadagawa-beya's Otsuji says he is out due to a shoulder injury.

Sanyaku gyoji Kimura Tamajiro and Sandanme gyoji Kimura Sakuranosuke are kyujo.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

Just filling in for Fukurou who seems to be kyujo herself at the moment.

Carry on. :-)  Fukurou has had a brain fart and nearly missed the entire basho.  (Thinkingindepth...)

Edited by Fukurou
  • Like 1

Two withdrawals as of Day 3:

Jd41w Reon - fusenpai on Day 2, Shikihide-beya reports a knee injury.

Jk19e Kotoegashira

On ‎06‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 18:06, Yubinhaad said:

Sandanme gyoji Kimura Sakuranosuke [is] kyujo.

Due to some kind of leg injury, the heya doesn't get any more specific.

J11w Aminishiki is out as of day 3 due to a knee injury from his day 2 match  -   link

Posted (edited)

Aminishiki's kyujo has been confirmed, and Sponichi reports a litany of damaged knee parts from the medical certificate:

Anterior cruciate ligament (前十字靱帯断裂)
Medial meniscus (内側半月板断裂)
Lateral meniscus (外側半月板損傷)
Femoral condyle cartilage? (大腿骨外顆軟骨損傷)
Posterior tibial condyle? (脛骨後顆骨挫傷)

Requiring... 2 weeks rest and treatment.

Edited by Yubinhaad

42 minutes ago, Yubinhaad said:

Aminishiki's kyujo has been confirmed, and Sponichi reports a litany of damaged knee parts from the medical certificate:

I assume their recommendation for two broken legs would be a week off and a nice cup of tea.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, Yubinhaad said:

Although one wonders how many of these have had pre-existing conditions since approximately 2005... :-(

Four withdrawals ahead of Day 5:

Sd15w Komanokuni

Sd48e Daishoki - fusenpai on Day 4

Sd100e Yuriki - a well-strapped right ankle which he didn't have in May, but that's just my guess as to the reason for his kyujo.

Jd42e Kenho - fusenpai on Day 3, apparently suffered a broken toe in his first bout.

No surprise that the press are reporting Tochinoshin is kyujo from Day 6, giving Abi a free win.

• Sad 2

Official:

West Ozeki
Tochinoshin
(Kasugano Beya)
has withdrawn the 6th Day of the July Tournament.

Surprised he's the only one.  Was half expecting Kaisei too.

Posted (edited)
On 08/07/2019 at 19:50, Yubinhaad said:

Requiring... 2 weeks rest and treatment  retirement.

... a minor typo which I mended above.

Edited by robnplunder

Sucks for Tochinoshin to go pretty much immediately kadoban again after the last few basho worth of drama, but he was getting hard to watch. I wonder what’s on his certificate?

Posted (edited)
On 12/07/2019 at 16:16, Churaumi said:

Sucks for Tochinoshin to go pretty much immediately kadoban again after the last few basho worth of drama, but he was getting hard to watch. I wonder what’s on his certificate?

Left shoulder rotator cuff sprain. 左肩腱板断裂

Left shoulder infraspinatus muscle tear - 左肩棘下筋筋断裂

Right knee ligament after rebuilding, fracture - 右膝前十字靱帯(じんたい)再建後再断裂

Right knee meniscus -右膝半月板損傷

Right knee osteoarthritis- 右変形性膝関節症

1 month to heal.

Oyakata says the main reason is the pain from the old right knee injury. "The status of an Ozeki  is not 'you win some and lose some'. You shouldn't be  barely making kachikoshi. He gambarized but he just couldn't stand his ground. He can't even exert half of his power. He wasn't doing disappointing  sumo, he was losing overwhelmingly. There's a limit to everything.." he said. The kyujo was decided upon after his loss to Asanoyama. After his day 4 loss to Ryuuden kyujo was discussed but Tochinoshin asked to try one more time, but he lost badly again. "He is disappointed and I'm also feeling that it's inexcusable.. I thought that if he could win one bout it would be the best medicine for him, but it didn't go that way," added Kasugano Oyakata. "His shoulder pains are related to the knee pains," said the oyakata, suggesting that his overall physical balance crumbled. Surgery is not on the table, so to speak. "He didn't tear the ligament, so.." As for returning to the basho- "Any way you think about it the knee isn't suddenly going to heal," summed the Oyakata.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 8
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I thought that if he could win one bout it would be the best medicine for him, but it didn't go that way," added Kasugano Oyakata.

The old school of 'fight your way out of serious injury'.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yomiuri reporting that Goeido is kyujo from Day 8. Meisei is set to collect the free win.

• Thanks 2

It's official:

East Ozeki
Goeido
(Sakaigawa Beya)
has withdrawn the 8th Day of the July Tournament.

Well, I hadn’t predicted that. He’s had a couple of off days but didn’t seem to be injured.

Unless he returns this looks like the end of his six-basho kachikoshi streak and we’ll have two Ozeki kadoban in September along with Takakeisho at Sekiwake.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

Yomiuri reporting that Goeido is kyujo from Day 8. Meisei is set to collect the free win.

Goeido had pain in the right shoulder ahead of the basho and couldn't train as he wanted, one month of rest and treatment required for rotator cuff damage (右肩腱板不全損傷).

A number of withdrawals in the lower divisions ahead of Day 9:

Mk21w Masunoyama, fusenpai on Day 7 - struggling with a lower back (or hip) problem before the basho, with no sign of improvement after three bouts (all lost) he and the shisho decided it would be better to withdraw.

Sd4w Musashikuni, fusenpai on Day 8 - struggling with an ankle problem before the basho.

Sd6e Dewanojo, fusenpai on Day 8 - suffering from a bout of cellulitis.

Sd47w Koshinishiki - he was hobbling after his last bout but I don't know what the injury is.

Sd81e Okinoiwa

Jd10e Miryuzan, fusenpai on Day 8.

Jd25e Wakaseido - anterior cruciate ligament in the right knee.

But there is some good news with two returnees:

Sd48e Daishoki - withdrew on Day 5

Sandanme gyoji Kimura Sakuranosuke has recovered from his leg injury and should be on the dohyo tomorrow.

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Seems like Takayasu not decided yet, but if I had to guess at 7-1 the temptation to go for 8 is too great for kyujo at this moment.

Nikkan sports says the last year natsu basho was first time in 59 years all Ozeki were kyujo, but if Takayasu goes kyujo it would be the first time for four at once (last year was 2?)

Edited by Tsuchinoninjin

Posted (edited)

There are many, many ways in which Takayasu is separate from the best in the business, but one thing might be that all his bouts are pretty expensive. I mean that he tends to be unable to score even occasional easy wins against inferior opponents. Every bout seems like a struggle and a stretch. I'm not surprised at all that he piles up smaller and bigger injuries on the way.

Edited by yorikiried by fate
language

I think no way Takyasu goes kyujo 1 win away from a KK. If he loses 5 in a row he's bound to eventually get someone he can beat even with 1 arm.

3 minutes ago, Rocks said:

...he's bound to eventually get someone he can beat even with 1 arm.

Uhh.. That would be either Kakuryu or Hakuho.