Kintamayama

Videos Nagoya 2019- Promo and Days 1- 15

Posted (edited)

Kotomitsuki at the Azrieli Mall- 2006

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Hoping Kyokutaisei is finally ready to move back up to makuuchi.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Day 1:

Thank you for the awesome video! I really enjoyed the photos from your trip. If you don't mind I'd like to see more please. 

As for Kyokutaisei, and with all due respect to Aminishiki - if K has that much trouble with A, then he's not really ready for Makuuchi yet. 

Did I utterly misunderstand it, or did the commentators at the end of the esteemed Kintamayama's video talk about non-existent bow twirling ceremony jinx? And, how they hope it can be broken?

5 hours ago, Morningstar said:

Did I utterly misunderstand it, or did the commentators at the end of the esteemed Kintamayama's video talk about non-existent bow twirling ceremony jinx? And, how they hope it can be broken?

Well, there is actually talk of not going anywhere rank-wise if you're the bow twirler. 

41 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Well, there is actually talk of not going anywhere rank-wise if you're the bow twirler. 

Yeah, you'll never make it to ozeki

On 22/04/2016 at 20:25, Akinomaki said:

Tomoefuji is an earlier and more successful example

The list of all about 40-50(double entries, without Kasugaryu yet), with 8 who made it to sekitori: https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%BC%93%E5%8F%96%E5%BC%8F#.E5.BC.93.E5.8F.96.E3.82.8A.E5.8A.9B.E5.A3.AB

quite a good percentage

The curse thus is: a yumi-tori rikishi won't make it to ozeki - or if you see a big rank difference towards komusubi: to sekiwake

and: doing the yumitori-shiki doesn't really improve the chance of getting to sekitori

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Yeah, you'll never make it to ozeki

Be that as it may statistically, this idea has been circulating for years. And don't bother me with facts, please. Where's the fun? And a question- When was the last time we had a yumitorikishi who was a sekitori? And how many of the last 10 became sekitori?

EDIT- found my answers. 13 years ago is the last time we had a sekitori, and of the last 10, it was only him (Ouga, 6 bashos in Juryo, 4 makekoshi) that made it to Juryo. Before him-you have to go back to 1988 and Hidenohana, who got a juryo yusho upon promotion (was he even doing the job when he was promoted to Juryo?), went 0-11 next basho, and that was his sekitori career..So of the last 24, 2 (1, if Hidenohana wasn't even  doing it)made it to Juryo for a combined 8 bashos . Am I correct?

Edited by Kintamayama

Posted (edited)

Day 2: Kotooushuu -2006. Mifgash Hasteak restaurant.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 6

9 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Be that as it may statistically, this idea has been circulating for years. And don't bother me with facts, please. Where's the fun? And a question- When was the last time we had a yumitorikishi who was a sekitori? And how many of the last 10 became sekitori?

EDIT- found my answers. 13 years ago is the last time we had a sekitori, and of the last 10, it was only him (Ouga, 6 bashos in Juryo, 4 makekoshi) that made it to Juryo. Before him-you have to go back to 1988 and Hidenohana, who got a juryo yusho upon promotion (was he even doing the job when he was promoted to Juryo?), went 0-11 next basho, and that was his sekitori career..So of the last 24, 2 (1, if Hidenohana wasn't even  doing it)made it to Juryo for a combined 8 bashos . Am I correct?

Hidenohana's five-basho stint with the bow came a couple of years after he dropped from Juryo.

Four rikishi have performed the yumitori-shiki as a sekitori since 1952, when it started to be done at the end of the every honbasho day. The incumbent performer at that time, Oiwazan, was a Maegashira for the first six basho (with a jun-yusho in 1952 Natsu), then three more in Juryo before retiring. His successor Otayama did a lengthy 27-basho stint mostly in Juryo. In the mid-1970s Itakura twirled the bow for nine basho, the last of which was his Juryo debut. He later reached Makuuchi. Then it was Oga as you already found.

A number of others were either former sekitori, like Hidenohana, or later became sekitori. As far as I'm concerned the idea of a jinx is nonsense.

PS: I don't say it enough but thanks as always for the videos! (Iamnotworthy...)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Yumitori-shiki are (at least nowadays) somewhat specifically selected because they're well-established career lower division rikishi - not quite "old hand" level, but rikishi who have been around for a while, are trustable members of the sumo world, and with whom it's a good bet that they won't be quitting six months from now and making their yumitori coaching a waste of time. It's rather natural that such rikishi have limited career upside remaining at that point in their tenure, so treating it as a "jinx" has always been nothing more than an inversion of cause and effect. To see that bogus notion peddled on the NHK broadcast of all places is a bit annoying, to say the least.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

Yumitori-shiki are (at least nowadays) somewhat specifically selected because they're well-established career lower division rikishi - not quite "old hand" level, but rikishi who have been around for a while, are trustable members of the sumo world, and with whom it's a good bet that they won't be quitting six months from now and making their yumitori coaching a waste of time. It's rather natural that such rikishi have limited career upside remaining at that point in their tenure, so treating it as a "jinx" has always been nothing more than an inversion of cause and effect. To see that bogus notion peddled on the NHK broadcast of all places is a bit annoying, to say the least.

Be that as it may, Wikipedia has a whole section titled "Jinx" on the yumitorishiki page . True or not, it's definitely an issue and not off the wall, if it warranted a whole section..

ジンクス[編集]

弓取式を行った力士は関取になれないというジンクスが相撲界にあった[5]1990年5月場所まで弓取を務めていた九重部屋巴富士が同年7月場所で十両に、最終的には小結まで昇進したことによりこのジンクスは影を潜めた。2007年3月場所まで弓取を務めていた高砂部屋皇牙2006年5月場所から十両に昇進した。十両力士(関取)が本場所の弓取式を務めることになったのは、1975年3月場所の板倉(後の前頭大豪)以来実に31年ぶりだった。一方で、元十両の秀ノ花は関取から陥落した後に弓取を務めた。

Edited by Kintamayama

Posted (edited)

Day 3: Kool Kotoshougiku 2006-I caught him trying on some shades at the Azrieli Mall..

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

What's your obsession with hairpulls these days? Envy? B-)

• Haha 8

56 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

What's your obsession with hairpulls these days? Envy? B-)

That too, but I call what I see and today was certainly borderline, looking at Ounoshou's mage after the bout. It's moot, since there was no intentional pull, so I guess they don't care about that no more..

49 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

It's moot, since there was no intentional pull, so I guess they don't care about that no more..

And I can't be more happy about it. As long as sokubiotoshi is an official kimarite, nobody should be offended by merely touching the mage. I have yet to see a bout where an alleged pulling actually led to an unfair advantage.

Oops - inadvertent rambling - please ignore and move on!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Day 3: Kool Kotoshougiku 2006-I caught him trying on some shades at the Azrieli Mall..

Thanks again for the great video! I'm drooling for some of the food there... Mmm, gyoza... 

Posted (edited)

Day 4: "Where's the neck???"

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 5

Does anyone know where I can find juryo recaps? I could find them last basho, but I haven't found any for this one.

Juryo Day 6- for the heck of it. KOUNOSUKE RULES!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6