R.G

Meeting Tamawashi at Kataonami

3BE22D61-D55A-4755-8AC1-D780FB80CCE1.thumb.jpeg.1f053ee1ce7470abc615b05448ab1c9d.jpeg

On my trip to Japan a month ago, I visited the Kataonami stable as part of my venture into Sumo culture!

Alongside me and my fiancé is Tamakongo , the only other rikishi representing rikishi at the stable and the only one living at the stable. We had the privilege to watch them practice and I’ll show all the photos I was allowed to take to show some rare insight into sumo practice!

Stay tuned!

P.S: new here so if this is in the wrong place, please redirect it if possible 

Edited by R.G
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

You met the only two rikishi of the stable. I didn't even know that there was a stable like that. I wonder if moto-Tamakasuga dons his mawashi to train with them.

Thanks for the pic.

9 minutes ago, shumitto said:

You met the only two rikishi of the stable. I didn't even know that there was a stable like that. I wonder if moto-Tamakasuga dons his mawashi to train with them.

Thanks for the pic.

Isutzubeya is down to three -- but one of them Kakuryu.

21 minutes ago, shumitto said:

Thanks for the pic.

There was originally three but one recently quit sumo altogether.

The funniest thing of it all is we set this up through a company and when they told us it would be only two rikishi, we almost cancelled it. We never knew we’d see a Sekiwake in action.

When I have time I’ll show the photos of them training. Really captivating material.

• Like 1

Oh, so Tamakongo is the only other rikishi in the heya with Tamawashi?  I sorta took notice of how well Tamaknogo was doing when he first entered, it being around the time I started following sumo and he did pretty well to start, but he's been a bit of a disappointment, only getting to the top half of Makushita so far with a Sandanme yusho, and then going 0-7.  He still has a few years before his prime so he may eventually get to Juryo, but I'm not as hopeful as I was 5 years ago.

7 hours ago, Gurowake said:

Oh, so Tamakongo is the only other rikishi in the heya with Tamawashi?  I sorta took notice of how well Tamaknogo was doing when he first entered, it being around the time I started following sumo and he did pretty well to start, but he's been a bit of a disappointment, only getting to the top half of Makushita so far with a Sandanme yusho, and then going 0-7.  He still has a few years before his prime so he may eventually get to Juryo, but I'm not as hopeful as I was 5 years ago.

Yeah I felt the same after looking at his profile, he’s 23 now so plenty to years to grow but not sure he’s got the spirit yet. Again, I’ll post the training photos and you’ll see the vast different between a Sekiwake and a Makushita.