Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Oyakata kyujos Nagoya 2019

Just for order's sake- Ounomatsu and Dewanoumi are both out-both central figures in the sumo administration. Ounomatsu probably out for the duration, Dewanoumi on "we shall see" basis. Sakaigawa is taking over for Ounomatsu, Oguruma for Dewanoumi.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Dewanoumi is back. "I'm healthy," he said. He had some heart problems and was in hospital. He collapsed on July 4th during keiko and was rushed to the hospital.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2

On 09/07/2019 at 08:31, Kintamayama said:

Dewanoumi is back. "I'm healthy," he said. He had some heart problems and was in hospital. He collapsed on July 4th during keiko and was rushed to the hospital.

Dewanoumi was saved by the AED installed in each sumo beya. His heart stopped and all of a sudden he fell from the bench where he was supervising jonokuchi keiko. Because the young rikishi around Ogitora swiftly reacted, he could return on the 9th, without after effects. Diagnosis: variant angina , without a blood clot or abnormality in the blood vessels it suddenly occurred. And 15 minutes after the first time, his heart stopped again - both time the AED was used.

In February 1990, Ryukozan after keiko in Dewanoumi-beya suddenly died of ischemic heart failure at age 22. Dewanoumi-oyakata reached both new juryo and new makuuchi in the same year as Ryukozan. After this tragedy, the NSK introduced obligatory regular EKG checks and AED in the heya. But the younger brother of the oyakata, Nakadachi-oyakata recalls: "After I retired, just by chance I had an AED instruction." Recently courses for the use of it take place regularly in all heya.

http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/column/sumo/news/201907150000362.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
On 18/07/2019 at 15:59, Akinomaki said:

Dewanoumi was saved by the AED installed in each sumo beya. His heart stopped and all of a sudden he fell from the bench where he was supervising jonokuchi keiko. Because the young rikishi around Ogitora swiftly reacted, he could return on the 9th, without after effects. Diagnosis: variant angina , without a blood clot or abnormality in the blood vessels it suddenly occurred. And 15 minutes after the first time, his heart stopped again - both time the AED was used.

Dewanoumi-beya, in particular the jonokuchi rikishi around Ogitora today received a document of gratitude and public acknowledgement from the local fire brigade main office, for the swift and proper use of the AED to save the life of the oyakata.

local TV yahoo news page with video http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20190722-00023461-tokaiv-soci

91473.jpg

EAExzhkUIAA_Z90.jpg:thumbo EAExzhkUEAAwL9P.jpg:thumbo EAExzhmU4AEnogZ.jpg:thumbo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That’s awesome. We often like to think of the sumo association as taking a pretty backwards stance to health and medical care, what with almost nothing ever said about the possibility of CTE and the way rikishi return injured time and again to the dohyo, but clearly there have been people in the organization with the right attitude to have implemented this policy. 

Posted (edited)

I recently did a first aid course and the numbers don't lie: chance of survival with manual CPR: 5-7%. Chance of survival with AED: 80%. CPR is an emergency action to keep the patient alive while others search for the nearest AED. In fact everyone should know where the nearest AED is.

Edited by orandashoho
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, orandashoho said:

CPR is an emergency action to keep the patient alive while others search for the nearest AED. In fact everyone should know where the nearest AED is.

Basic cardiac life support (BCLS) is very very important. It saves lives.

People should be taught how to do it properly. Return of spontaneous circulation (ROSC) chance of people who have cardiac arrest and not treated ASAP (i.e. no CPR and/or AED) is decreasing fast and results in death.

It amaze me that they react fast recognising the sign of cardiac arrest and they could do it properly. They did a very very good job saving live!

On ‎22‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 19:32, code_number3 said:
On ‎22‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 16:37, orandashoho said:

CPR is an emergency action to keep the patient alive while others search for the nearest AED. In fact everyone should know where the nearest AED is.

Basic cardiac life support (BCLS) is very very important. It saves lives.

People should be taught how to do it properly. Return of spontaneous circulation (ROSC) chance of people who have cardiac arrest and not treated ASAP (i.e. no CPR and/or AED) is decreasing fast and results in death.

It amaze me that they react fast recognising the sign of cardiac arrest and they could do it properly. They did a very very good job saving live!

Yeah... of course I should have also said, "...and chance of survival without either is 0%"