Sign in to follow this  
Rocks

Games Talk Nagoya 2019

I messed the entry for Bench Sumo. Damn it. 

This looks a very tough gaming basho. Quite a few unknowns injury-wise and plenty of dark horses too. I am not at all confident about my pre-basho picks.

I will put up the Oracle projections here from day 5 or so as usual. Hoping to beat MechaJejima by more than one point this time. ;)

13 hours ago, Rocks said:

I messed the entry for Bench Sumo. Damn it. 

A lot of people missed it; 6 absences in Juryo which will make scheduling a bit rougher than normal, though at least there's exchange bouts needed every day so that'll help.  I don't know about long-term seasonal trends, but with Nagoya coming in the height of the summer, I expect a lot of people to have their mind on other things.

4 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

A lot of people missed it; 6 absences in Juryo which will make scheduling a bit rougher than normal, though at least there's exchange bouts needed every day so that'll help.  I don't know about long-term seasonal trends, but with Nagoya coming in the height of the summer, I expect a lot of people to have their mind on other things.

I just thought I had to be in by Friday for some reason and had stuff to do on the Fourth. 

2 minutes ago, Rocks said:

I just thought I had to be in by Friday for some reason and had stuff to do on the Fourth. 

You should always sign up immediately when you can.  You can change your squad before entering the Day 1 line-up.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gurowake said:

You should always sign up immediately when you can.  You can change your squad before entering the Day 1 line-up.

I'll try to do better next time. Just been very busy implementing a new system the past month. 

For better or worse I am in everything else.  I have the feeling this is going to be a very wild basho, except for Hakuho. I tried to mix it up a bit pre-basho but it was tough because I see a lot of guys doing poorly and they can't all do badly in the end. I think the dailies may be very high scoring as I expect to see some guys go on long runs.

18 hours ago, Pandaazuma said:

I will put up the Oracle projections here from day 5 or so as usual. Hoping to beat MechaJejima by more than one point this time. ;)

I'd watch Real Jejima in Oracle this Basho.  Picking 8 wins for Yokozuna usually costs him but that will be closer than most people for Kakuryu this Basho I think.

3 minutes ago, Rocks said:

I'd watch Real Jejima in Oracle this Basho.  Picking 8 wins for Yokozuna usually costs him but that will be closer than most people for Kakuryu this Basho I think.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing.

I am quite interested to see the new Oracle banzuke, actually. You may get an ozeki promotion and Gurowake could go to yokozuna.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pandaazuma said:

Yes, I was thinking the same thing.

I am quite interested to see the new Oracle banzuke, actually. You may get an ozeki promotion and Gurowake could go to yokozuna.

You think so? Gurowake deserves it.  Very good win last basho and despite it not being technically so, or even technically a jun yusho,  I would call his result the previous basho at only 1 point back a yusho equivalent. Plus he has 2 other Yusho. If I was deciding I would say it's time.

7 minutes ago, Rocks said:

You think so? Gurowake deserves it.  Very good win last basho and despite it not being technically so, or even technically a jun yusho,  I would call his result the previous basho at only 1 point back a yusho equivalent. Plus he has 2 other Yusho. If I was deciding I would say it's time.

Norizo was promoted with less, I think.

Could tomorrow be the first day ever (??) that every player picks the same winner in TTT? I mean usually some would pick Abi to lose instead of Hak to win, but that would make the other pick a lot riskier...

4 hours ago, Pandaazuma said:

Could tomorrow be the first day ever (??) that every player picks the same winner in TTT? I mean usually some would pick Abi to lose instead of Hak to win, but that would make the other pick a lot riskier...

+10 oof. First day of TTT is always wacky.

4 hours ago, Pandaazuma said:

You have to know there are people out there who are going to go contrary to the general expectations.  For those that look mainly at HTH results, Kyokutaisei looks like the best pick.

24 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

You have to know there are people out there who are going to go contrary to the general expectations.  For those that look mainly at HTH results, Kyokutaisei looks like the best pick.

I do indeed, but that +10 for Hakuho is just an automatic pick. ;)

I have brain farted the entire basho. Would the game masters for Hoshitori, UDH, and Banzuke Surfing (all waves) please grant kosho status for Fukurou?

Well,  it could ahve been worse. I could have lost in ISP too instead of just every other single game. What a start. Ugh.

I'd say the 3.83 Odd Sumo quota on Tamawashi for Day 3 has to be among the largest ever for a match not against a Yokozuna or Ozeki.

1 hour ago, Gurowake said:

I'd say the 3.83 Odd Sumo quota on Tamawashi for Day 3 has to be among the largest ever for a match not against a Yokozuna or Ozeki.

And I still wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Considering who he has faced the first 2 days he has about as much business being 0-2 as a skunk in a perfume shop.

29 minutes ago, Rocks said:

And I still wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Considering who he has faced the first 2 days he has about as much business being 0-2 as a skunk in a perfume shop.

This post made me pick him up for Odd Sumo

• Haha 1

Just now, Tsuchinoninjin said:

This post made me pick him up for Odd Sumo

Glad I could help. 

With not many winners to be found on the menu for TTT today, 15 players got it right with Nishikigi while 10 went for his aite Daishoho.

I#ve had the best start in SG of my five-year career in SG: 3-0 with a whopping 26 points. 9-8-9!
Of course this is no guarantee for getting KK; I'll probably sink back into mediocrity in a few days.

1 hour ago, Jakusotsu said:

With not many winners to be found on the menu for TTT today, 15 players got it right with Nishikigi while 10 went for his aite Daishoho.

Nishikigi has looked woeful and Daishoho has looked ok despite his losses. Cue the inevitable reversal today.

47 minutes ago, orandashoho said:

I#ve had the best start in SG of my five-year career in SG: 3-0 with a whopping 26 points. 9-8-9!
Of course this is no guarantee for getting KK; I'll probably sink back into mediocrity in a few days.

You've done it now! MK for sure! ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pandaazuma said:
2 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Nishikigi has looked woeful and Daishoho has looked ok despite his losses. Cue the inevitable reversal today.

I was wavering between between Nishikigi and Yago but chose Yago in the end because it seems Toyonoshima has only one gear, reverse, once he hits makuuchi lately. 

Nishikigi looked like he was reverting to form and heading to permanent lower makuuchi status after his run at the top. But he showed some spine last night.