Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Ounomatsu Oyakata kyujo for Nagoya

Ounomatsu Oyakata out of July due to "poor physical health". I think we saw that coming- something wrong with him, definitely. He is in hospital and taking his meds. High blood pressure is being mentioned. His announcing fell short last basho, I recall.  Someone will be named to replace him soon.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1

I hope whoever steps in to his role does a better job

Edited by Fukuyamada
misread the first post

Sakaigawa-oyakata (former Komusubi Ryogoku) will stand in for the absent Onomatsu this basho. He did the same last March for Nishonoseki after his accident.

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Thanks 2

On 26/06/2019 at 18:58, Fukuyamada said:

I hope whoever steps in to his role does a better job

Any chance he does not 

Hope he is OK, but frankly he was ill-suited for the role as head shimpan and sumo will be better moving forward with him not in it.

He will be leaving the Kyokai, citing ill health. High blood pressure among other things. Otowayama Oyakata (ex-Daidou, 37) is slated to take over the heya.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Sad 5

2 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

He will be leaving the Kyokai, citing ill health. High blood pressure among other things.

What about the future of Onomatsu Beya?

1 minute ago, code_number3 said:

What about the future of Onomatsu Beya?

See edit above.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

He will be leaving the Kyokai, citing ill health. High blood pressure among other things. Otowayama Oyakata (ex-Daidou, 37) is slated to take over the heya.

He must have been under a load of stress through all the Takanohana-ichimon stuff, which likely overwhelmed him. Sad to hear he's leaving but I think it's a good idea, hopefully he'll have the time and space now to take care of himself and get back to good health. I've long considered his heya to be among the best run, good support and atmosphere. I only hope that will continue under the next shisho.

• Like 1

All the same, taken in context with the passing of Izutsu Oyakata, it highlights problems that perhaps sumo needs to address.  Onomatsu was one of the very lightest during his career which was somewhat shortened by bad knee injuries.  Perhaps there needs to be greater medical support for both active rikishi and oyakata.

It doesn't bode well for future generations, today's generation features far fewer lightweights than in the 80s and 90s.

Swami

14 minutes ago, Swami said:

All the same, taken in context with the passing of Izutsu Oyakata, it highlights problems that perhaps sumo needs to address.  Onomatsu was one of the very lightest during his career which was somewhat shortened by bad knee injuries.  Perhaps there needs to be greater medical support for both active rikishi and oyakata.

It doesn't bode well for future generations, today's generation features far fewer lightweights than in the 80s and 90s.

Swami

Rikishi and oyakata get the same standard of care as all Japanese residents.

3 hours ago, Otokonoyama said:

Rikishi and oyakata get the same standard of care as all Japanese residents.

It just seems like rikishi are dying younger nowadays when, even taking into consideration the risks their lifestyles bring about, greater life expectancy rates should be increasing their lifespans.

Swami

6 hours ago, Swami said:

Have you considered the possibility that how much they weigh during their competition days is only a small factor in how healthy they're going to be 30 years later?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

According to Nikkan, he first conveyed his intentions to the rest of the Kyokai brass last month, and subsequently rejected requests to reconsider - I would guess they wanted him to at least see out his director term until next spring. Quite exceptional for a sitting director to not only leave his post, but the Kyokai altogether.

And with that, the Takanohana rebellion is now entirely in the dustbin of history, given that Onomatsu was the compromise replacement candidate when Taka became untenable as director for even his own group's members.

Anyway, it sounds like it'll be a few more days until all the proverbial i's have been dotted officially.

7 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Who might get his kabu?

Ex-Daido? ;-) If you mean who's going to get the freed up share, I presume Onosho to own and some-random-ex-sekitori-stuck-in-makushita on loan, eventually.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

Have you considered the possibility that how much they weigh during their competition days is only a small factor in how healthy they're going to be 30 years later?

Absolutely, and to be fair a lot of them do lose a lot of weight immediately after retirement. 

Swami

The next rijikai session will be on the 26th, with Onomatsu's resignation among the agenda items, say the papers.

I kind of doubt it'll be effective immediately though - I think there's a trend these days to date heya transfers to the start of the month, so my blind guess is everything needed will happen officially on October 1st.

• Like 1

On 22/09/2019 at 22:51, Swami said:

It just seems like rikishi are dying younger nowadays when, even taking into consideration the risks their lifestyles bring about, greater life expectancy rates should be increasing their lifespans.

Swami

I did a very crude analysis through life tables that can be found on the "Izutsu has died" thread and the conclusion was that a sekitori has roughly the same risk of dying between the ages of 25 and 60 as the typical American man. Higher risk than the average Japanese man, but nothing dramatic. I think people often underestimate the sizable chunk of people who die in middle age. 

• Like 1