Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Preparations of the Y/O- Nagoya 2019

Posted (edited)

Hakuhou trained with Enhou at their Shiga training camp this day, in front of some 300 fans, driving them nuts. The thing that got the crowd going most was some "love treatment" Hakuhou administered, rolling the diminutive one over time and again. Just when it seemed it was over, Enhou carried a 30 kilo sandbag for lower body fortification. Out of breath and all, he soldiered on, gaining much respect from the assembled crowd. "Maaaan, that first bout was really terrible (Hakuhou blasted him out).. He really came at me.." he said, but with a smile, looking happy. No sign of any bandaging on his injured right thigh, so that is a good sign. As for Hakuhou's injury,. it seems to be healed. He was throwing, pushing and shoving, essentially using a variety of techniques. "My right arm is fine, but I may be overusing my left, causing my old wound (left elbow) some discomfort.." he said candidly. "I prepared well in Tokyo so that I could come here in  good condition. I'll continue to prepare seriously so that I may enter Nagoya," he summed.

201906120000597-w500_0.jpg

With kindergartners who came for a visit:

201906120000593-w500_0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 8

Posted (edited)

Takayasu trained with Araiso Oyakata today and was 6-7. He showed good stuff at times, winning 4 in a row, but lost the last 2.  "I have trained with the oyakata in Tokyo as well, so I arrived in Nagoya in good shape. I intend to forge my body well and do some self confident keiko," he said. he will be joining the Nishonoseki Rengo Keiko between June 27-29th and intends to make a mark there. The Tagonoura beya keikoba in Nagoya is situated outdoors. "I hate the heat. I will be using the experience I accumulated with the years. It's not the same as when I was starting. Today's keiko is much more physical and forces you to exert more power. Sometimes it takes a long time to build up strength but sometimes you can concentrate and go all out, and that can be good keiko too," explained Takayasu. Compared to that 1-20 session a few months ago, Takayasu was looking much better. "His strength in fighting back is different, it's strong. I did my best not to get blown away," said Araiso Oyakata. "Sumo is all about small adjustments that can change everything. A minimal shift in the angle of the tachiai or the change of the timing by a few milliseconds can make a difference. This can bring about a quick improvement but the failure is quick as well. Doing 30-40 bouts to achieve that is not necessary. It's all in the concentration!!" added Araiso.

201906260000564-w500_0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Takayasu was at the Nishonoseki Rengo Keiko held at Oguruma beya today. He took on Ryuuden and was 8-2. "He's one of the rikishi that is 'riding the wave' at the moment. I thought it would be a good training session," he explained. Ryuuden himself had 11 bouts earlier against the other new Komusubi Abi and others and was very quick. "I tried out all sorts of stuff. My condition will get better as I keep at it in the same serious way," he said, quietly sneaking into a thread he does not belong in.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Takayasu trained with Araiso Oyakata today and was 6-7. Compared to that 1-20 session a few months ago, Takayasu was looking much better.

Indeed is much better to lose 6-7 than 1-20. The big issue is that an active Ozeki aiming for Yokozuna promotion shouldn't be having these numbers against someone that officially retired 6 months ago, but technically has retired 2 years ago.

They should have said he is looking less bad, rather than much better.

Is Takayasu aiming for Yokozuna promotion? He’s yet to even set the pace in a yusho race, let alone win one. I see Takayasu as being content where he is, but with the hope of getting one championship before the younger challengers settle in and start making that too difficult.

8 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Is Takayasu aiming for Yokozuna promotion? He’s yet to even set the pace in a yusho race, let alone win one. I see Takayasu as being content where he is, but with the hope of getting one championship before the younger challengers settle in and start making that too difficult.

His 12-win two tournaments shortly after Ozeki promotion hinted that he might be on the path to Yokozuna and less on the path to escaping kadoban multiple times a year.

His awkward sumo lately looks like he's in the process of making changes to his style, but it's not quite clicking yet. It'll be easier to judge his prospects later this year. Hopefully what he and Araiso are working on will pay some dividends by that point.

3 hours ago, Gurowake said:

His 12-win two tournaments shortly after Ozeki promotion hinted that he might be on the path to Yokozuna and less on the path to escaping kadoban multiple times a year.

He’s a solid Ozeki, no question. Consistent and talented. I had him as my unofficial “rikishi of the year” in 2018 because of his three JYs and no makekoshi (other than his zen-kyujo). But, I don’t see him making a serious push for the next step any time soon. In all his JY tournaments he was playing catch up most of the time and never held sole lead. He wasn’t even really putting any pressure on the race leader to stay perfect. In essence, he hasn’t shown he can meaningfully influence a tournament outcome yet. Coming second is always impressive but, for me, not all JYs are equal. Until he proves he can handle the pressure at the head of the yusho race and, when not leading, breathe down the neck of whoever is, I don’t see him making the next level. Also, we should keep in mind that his numerically sound records in 2018 came in several basho won by first-timers, so it’s not as if he’s been missing out to the likes of Hakuho, as Kisenosato so often did.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

And, as has been happening lately, Takayasu is not feeling well. He skipped the rengo keiko and a special Tagonoura pep rally today. "He's in poor physical health. As he is looking forward to being in perfect health this coming basho, it's no use for him to do anything unreasonable at this stage. He's just tired. It's nothing serious," said Tagonoura Oyakata. He intends to join the rengo keiko tomorrow, I hear.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Considering all the injuries and ailments involved in sumo, "just tired" almost sounds like a good thing.

Posted (edited)

I really think dropping a few kilos would help him in a lot. He'd have more speed, more stamina and his back would thank him.

Edited by Rainoyama

Posted (edited)

He should have joined the bunch that wishes for health on Tanabata instead of those that picked the yusho

Edited by Akinomaki

4 hours ago, Rainoyama said:

I really think dropping a few kilos would help him in a lot. He'd have more speed, more stamina and his back would thank him.

"He" is unspecified here, but it could be half of the sekitori coterie.

25 minutes ago, Asojima said:

"He" is unspecified here, but it could be half of the sekitori coterie.

Sorry I didn't mention it clearly since I thought it was obvious from the discussion just above:  "he" is Takayasu but you are absolutely right I can apply to many guys around.

Posted (edited)

Tochinoshin is back training and did 14 bouts at home today., facing Tochiouzan and  Aoiyama. "I'm able to hit well.. I'm happy to be able to do this well," he said later. He was in Georgia  between bashos and admitted he drank a lot. "Don't worry, it's out of my system already," he joked.

sum19063017130005-p1.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Tochinoshin is back training and did 14 bouts at home today.,

He looks pretty lean there.

Just glad Tochinoshin got to go home and see his people. He’s got fame and fortune but for whatever reason he only sees his wife and baby only rarely, from what I understand.

Posted (edited)

Hakuhou invited Asanoyama for degeiko a couple of days ago.  Asanoyama was terrified, but of course, could not say no. So today, he went over for some fun. 11 bouts (2-9), and during the 11th, he was knocked out by the Yokozuna. A right harite followed by an uwatenage sent him crashing to the clay and he seemed to have symptoms of a brain shake.  His back was all sandy and he could not get up. He tried to, but staggered back down to a sitting position.. "It was the harite. It felt like a brain shake. I really got done for there.. I think i was a bit dehydrated as well.." said Asanoyama. Before that he faced Makushita Hokahou and Juryo Ishiura for 11 bouts, so he had 22 bouts. He went for degeiko without a tsukebito, on his own, and seemed to be more tense than usual and was seen breathing heavily after only a few bouts. He did beat Hakuhou in their first bout, though.. "I was really surprised by that. My body responded well, but I was under attack from bout 2 and onward.." said Asanoyama. The same thing happened in bout 10, left hand front mawashi grab and yorikiri. "He has some good stuff and he is heavy, more than I imagined. In the past when I faced him during jungyo he was light. He must have added 20-30 kilos since then, no?" said Hakuhou. "As for degeiko tomorrow, i'll decide after my afternoon nap, " said Asanoyama, who seems to be doing all the right things in preparations for the coming basho.

KO:

201907010000302-w500_0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
On 30/06/2019 at 22:08, Rocks said:

He looks pretty lean there.

That’s what a couple of weeks on the red meat and dairy-based Georgian diet does to a man. He needs to get back on the tofu and natto asap.

Edited by Eikokurai

Posted (edited)

Tochinoshin injured his left shoulder in training yesterday. "Yesterday, you know, when I was doing some sumo.." he said. Today he was careful and had only three bouts against Aoiyama and Tochiouzan. He will be taking painkillers and and will be careful. It's a bit of a shock to him after regaining his Ozeki status last basho. "Nothing good will come from looking down, so I'm going to be looking up," he said,  paraphrasing the lyrics of the 1965 hit by Sakamoto Kyu "Sukiyaki", its original Japanese title being "Ue Wo Muite Arukou", covered by some balding guy a few years back.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

Posted (edited)

Hakuhou went for degeiko today to his friend Tomozuna's (ex-Kyokutenhou)  heya. 19 bouts, won 18. "The content has become better. Now, all we have to do is open the lid and look inside. I'll try to go with the flow.." he said. He beat another degeiko-er , the king of keiko Shoudai 10-0, overwhelming him with speed and power. He also faced Juryo Kyokushoehorn and Kyokutaisei. "For now, I was able finish it safely," added the boss.

Didn't face Kaisei?

sum19070316430005-p1.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

And finally some news from the other Yokozuna, Kakuryuu. He is suffering from a back injury. Yesterday he did not train and went to treat his back instead. That's about all we have on him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Hakuhou went for degeiko today to his friend Tomozuna's (ex-Kyokutenhou)  heya. 19 bouts, won 18. "The content has become better. Now, all we have to do is open the lid and look inside. I'll try to go with the flow.." he said. He beat another degeiko-er , the king of keiko Shoudai 10-0, overwhelming him with speed and power. He also faced Juryo Kyokushoehorn and Kyokutaisei. "For now, I was able finish it safely," added the boss.

Didn't face Kaisei?

sum19070316430005-p1.jpg

He went to the heya? Are they not already in Nagoya?

1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

He went to the heya? Are they not already in Nagoya?

You know what I meant. The Nagoya lodgings of course, it's the heya away from the heya.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

You know what I meant. The Nagoya lodgings of course, it's the heya away from the heya.

The original article I guess you were sourcing also uses ‘heya’ so I suppose it can also refer to the group of people from it as opposed to just the building. Always something new to learn!