Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

New recruits for Nagoya 2019

Without any news so far I had almost expected another 0 for Nagoya, but I had created the thread, so I was confident the shindeshi-kensa would take place, and it will - 3 16 year old newbies applied for it.

Naruto gets another one, Kanato Konno 今野哉翔 from the Iruma sumo club in Saitama

On 10/05/2017 at 17:09, mikawa said:

In March 2015, a team consisting of Onozawa Ayato (斧澤 亜矢斗, front left), Suzuki Hayato (鈴木 覇都, front right), Yoshino Issei (吉野 一颯, front center), Konno Kanato (今野 哉翔, back right) and Kamiyama Ryuichi (神山 龍一, back left) were triumphant in the 11th National Club Championships, making Iruma Junior Sumo Club officially the best club in Japan:

for Miyagino: Tsubasa Hasegawa 長谷川翼 from Chiba

Kokonoe: Daiki Hisasue  (guess)  久末大輝, also from Chiba

http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20190629/sum19062919280007-n1.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

What about Galdan, 元Takanoiwa’s nephew? He was kyujo on natsu’s maezumo and DB listed him on Bg by now. Is it about his working permit and when will he start his maezumo?

1 minute ago, code_number3 said:

What about Galdan, 元Takanoiwa’s nephew? He was kyujo on natsu’s maezumo and DB listed him on Bg by now. Is it about his working permit and when will he start his maezumo?

He wasn't really kyujo, as foreigner he wasn't allowed to start at once. He should start in Nagoya - the usual one basho after being at the shin-deshi kensa. He is not on the banzuke now, so he is bg. The DB will  list him as mz later when he starts - so far it is set to no new recruits, because of no official data yet.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The 3 passed the initial test

Hasegawa (Miyagino) has a Japanese father and a Mongolian mother. Hakuho had contacted her, that led to him joining the heya. http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20190701/sum19070118010006-n1.htmlsum19070118010006-p1.jpg20190701-OHT1I50224-N.jpgo

the other 2 are quite a pair: Konno: 168cm, 149kg - Hisasue; 167cm, 77kg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Hasegawa (Miyagino) has a Japanese father and a Mongolian mother. Hakuho had contacted her, that led to him joining the heya

20190701-OHT1I50157-N.jpgo201907010000376-w200_0.jpgo 201907020000139-w200_0.jpgo

Chiba shusshin, but born in UlaanBaatar. "(Entering the sumo world was) A dream since I was small. Objective are Hakuho, Asashoryu." From kindergarten till 5th grade he lived in Japan. He wasn't in the sumo club at school. but took part in wampaku sumo tournaments for 5 years in a row, reaching the best 8 in a Kanto regional tournament. Then he returned to Mongolia and was in the basketball club at school. He thought about starting high school in Mongolia (where it starts in September), but in May was invited by Hakuho to join. The Nittaidai high teacher who had followed his progress at primary school presented him to his friend Hakuho, showing him the photo Hasegawa's mother had sent him - Hakuho's reaction: "Appealing"

Hasegawa: 185cm (grown 6cm the last 12 months), 97kg, grip power - right: 46 kg  left:42 kg, back strength: 145kg

He took part in the heya's Nagahama training camp last month

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

At least we won't have any difficulty telling them apart.

• Haha 1

On 01/07/2019 at 16:13, Akinomaki said:

The NSK posted these 2, who hadn't appeared in the media so far - by Baseball Magazine, publisher of monthly "Sumo"

Konno

D-iS61pUwAUEfz1.jpg:large

Hisasue

D-iS3O3UEAoQa72.jpg:large

• Like 2

On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 16:13, Akinomaki said:

How old (young) are these guys? Are they likely to grow a bit taller?

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, orandashoho said:

How old (young) are these guys? Are they likely to grow a bit taller?

I posted the age only in the first (2nd) post

On 29/06/2019 at 17:58, Akinomaki said:

I was confident the shindeshi-kensa would take place, and it will - 3 16 year old newbies applied for it.

Hasegawa definitely will grow more

On 01/07/2019 at 17:37, Akinomaki said:

Hasegawa: 185cm (grown 6cm the last 12 months)

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

NSK data:
SHIKONA KANJI NAME HEYA HEIGHT WEIGHT DOB BIRTHPLACE
Hasegawa 長谷川 Hasegawa Tsubasa Miyagino 185 97 30 - April - 2003 Chiba
Hisasue 久末 Hisasue Daiki Kokonoe 167 77 18 - June - 2003 Chiba
Konno 今野 Konno Kanato Naruto 168 149 02 - April - 2003 Saitama

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hisasue with Kokonoe-oyakata - the comment from the shisho reveals that Hisasue has no sumo experience

D-9FigEU0AIkM4g.jpg:largeo

maezumo starts tomorrow

• Like 1

On ‎06‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 13:43, Yubinhaad said:

Banzuke-gai Omura said when the banzuke came out that his injury was 80% healed and he plans to participate in maezumo (perhaps a one-bout-and-out job). I've also heard Urutora may be ready to begin yet another comeback as well, but we'll have to wait and see if that happens.

Five returnees in total then, with the two above joined by Kotoomura, Kochikara and amazingly, Bariki after three years out of action. He looks incredibly uncomfortable though.

Galdan's shikona is Hokutenkai (北天海), surely inspired by the late former Ozeki Hokutenyu, who was still an oyakata in Mihogaseki-beya when Hamanoshima (now Onoe-oyakata) entered ozumo.

Hasegawa's shikona is Senho (千鵬).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 09/07/2019 at 15:00, Otokonoyama said:

Maezumo Day 1

After seeing few maezumo videos, I have some concern (is it just me or what). I saw Bariki has bad posture, he is crooked. I reckoned he has kyphosis. Is this condition made him Kyujo for 3 years?

Posted (edited)

The assembled videographic evidence of this basho's four days of maezumo competition, in mostly forgettable video quality as usual. 9 rikishi from 9 different stables in action; we had the same just last November, but in general it's quite unusual with such a number of competitors.

Day 3

Results:

Mz1  Kotoomura (1-0)         Mz2  Bariki (0-1)
Mz3  Omura (1-0)             Mz4  Kochikara (0-1)
Mz5  Urutora (0-1)           Mz6  Hokutenkai (1-0)
Mz7  Hisasue (0-1)           Mz8  Konno (1-0)
Mz9  Senho (1-0)             Mz2  Bariki (0-2)

Watching Bariki compete is very awkward indeed...

Standings:

Mz1  Kotoomura   Sadogatake  1-0 E   |   Mz2  Bariki     Shikoroyama  0-2 W
Mz3  Omura       Michinoku   1-0 E   |   Mz4  Kochikara  Tagonoura    0-1 W
Mz6  Hokutenkai  Onoe        1-0 W   |   Mz5  Urutora    Shikihide    0-1 E
Mz8  Konno       Naruto      1-0 W   |   Mz7  Hisasue    Kokonoe      0-1 E
Mz9  Senho       Miyagino    1-0 E

Day 4

Results:

Mz1  Kotoomura (1-1)         Mz6  Hokutenkai (2-0)
Mz3  Omura (2-0)             Mz8  Konno (1-1)
Mz5  Urutora (0-2)           Mz2  Bariki (1-2)
Mz7  Hisasue (0-2)           Mz4  Kochikara (1-1)
Mz1  Kotoomura (1-2)         Mz9  Senho (2-0)

Amusing how they seemingly (and rightfully) didn't expect Kotoomura to have any chance at all against Hokutenkai, and had Senho waiting for him on the West side from the start rather than the East side he's assigned to.

Standings:

Mz3  Omura       Michinoku  2-0 E   |   Mz1  Kotoomura  Sadogatake   1-2 E   |   Mz5  Urutora  Shikihide  0-2 E
Mz6  Hokutenkai  Onoe       2-0 W   |   Mz2  Bariki     Shikoroyama  1-2 W   |   Mz7  Hisasue  Kokonoe    0-2 E
Mz9  Senho       Miyagino   2-0 E   |   Mz4  Kochikara  Tagonoura    1-1 W
                                        Mz8  Konno      Naruto       1-1 W

Day 5

Results:

Mz3  Omura (2-1)             Mz6  Hokutenkai (3-0)
Mz1  Kotoomura (1-3)         Mz4  Kochikara (2-1)
Mz2  Bariki (1-3)            Mz8  Konno (2-1)
Mz3  Omura (3-1)             Mz9  Senho (2-1)
Mz5  Urutora (1-2)           Mz7  Hisasue (0-3)

Mz8  Konno (2-2)             Mz4  Kochikara (3-1)

And another positional snub of a Hokutenkai and then later Senho opponent, this time Omura. Plus an unusual bonus matchup for two winning rikishi in Konno-Kochikara.

A rather action-packed day, in any case, although I could have done without seeing frail Bariki tumbling off the dohyo...

Standings:

3-win target achieved:
#1  Mz6  Hokutenkai  Onoe       3-0
#2  Mz3  Omura       Michinoku  3-1
#3  Mz4  Kochikara   Tagonoura  3-1

Still active:
    Mz8  Konno       Naruto     2-2 W   |   Mz1  Kotoomura  Sadogatake   1-3 E   |   Mz7  Hisasue  Kokonoe  0-3 E

Mz9  Senho       Miyagino   2-1 E   |   Mz2  Bariki     Shikoroyama  1-3 W
                                            Mz5  Urutora    Shikihide    1-2 E

Day 6

Results:

Mz9  Senho (3-1)             Mz8  Konno (2-3)
Mz5  Urutora (2-2)           Mz2  Bariki (1-4)
Mz1  Kotoomura (1-4)         Mz7  Hisasue (1-3)

That was weird and slightly disturbing...knee injury? Knockout? Either way, it likely cut this session short as Konno vs (winner of Urutora-Bariki) was almost certainly intended to happen to find another 3-win finisher. Kotoomura conceivably could have figured into such an extra matchup as well, but he failed to get his prerequisite second win against the boy named Hisasue. Nice to see nobody has to depart Nagoya winless, at any rate.

The final standings:

3-win target achieved:
#1  Mz6  Hokutenkai  Onoe         3-0
#2  Mz3  Omura       Michinoku    3-1
#3  Mz4  Kochikara   Tagonoura    3-1
#4  Mz9  Senho       Miyagino     3-1

Remaining order:
#5  Mz8  Konno       Naruto       2-3
#6  Mz5  Urutora     Shikihide    2-2
#7  Mz1  Kotoomura   Sadogatake   1-4
#8  Mz2  Bariki      Shikoroyama  1-4
#9  Mz7  Hisasue     Kokonoe      1-3

The projected order from #5 downwards is subject to verification with the Day 8 official data as usual, of course.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

The shinjo shusse with 2 of 3 new + 1 delayed nephew

D_aMrUXUYAA1HAo.jpg:thumbo sum19071416050009-m1.jpgo 201907150000160-w200_1.jpgo sum19071416050009-m2.jpgo 201907150000160-w200_0.jpgo

Only 3 at the shinjo shusse hirou - Hokutenkai, Senho and now presented as Suehisa (with the same kanji reversed?) - Konno was kyujo

Miselet posted maezumo in proper quality

day 3 https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7d7al7

day 4 https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7d7atu

day 5 https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7d7b9p

day 6 https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7d7bqz

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 13/07/2019 at 08:24, Asashosakari said:

The final standings (...)

The projected order from #5 downwards is subject to verification with the Day 8 official data as usual, of course.

Confirmed as posted.

The Abema version of the presentation:

1 hour ago, Akinomaki said:

(...) and now presented as Suehisa (with the same kanji reversed?) - Konno was kyujo

No such change listed at either Sanspo or the Kyokai - I guess the PA gyoji was just mistaken about his name.

Kind of glad Bariki didn’t get through, even Hattorizakura might be too much in his condition. The maulings  wouldn’t have been fun to watch. Any word on what the deal is with him? 

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Churaumi said:

Kind of glad Bariki didn’t get through, even Hattorizakura might be too much in his condition. The maulings  wouldn’t have been fun to watch.

Just by appearing in one bout, Bariki accomplished the sai-shusse (as all 5 returners did) and will be on the banzuke next basho. If he is fit enough then to appear for a bout is a different matter.

Edited by Akinomaki

It was a right knee injury for Konno.

I've read that Bariki was (is?) suffering from some kind of deformation in the hip joint. I wonder whether he simply wanted to retire with a banzuke rank?

21 hours ago, Asashosakari said:
22 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

(...) and now presented as Suehisa (with the same kanji reversed?) - Konno was kyujo

No such change listed at either Sanspo or the Kyokai - I guess the PA gyoji was just mistaken about his name.

The NHK graphic concurs with them, so that was just a mistake by the announcer. (Now watch him show up as Suehisa on the Aki banzuke!)

N4s0StzC_o.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yubinhaad said:

I've read that Bariki was (is?) suffering from some kind of deformation in the hip joint.

I saw Bariki’s maezumo video and I saw he is crooked. Is his spine (and hip) condition makes him kyujo for 3 years?