Gurowake

Promotion Discussion thread - Natsu 2019

1 hour ago, Gurowake said:

Asashosakari puts a lot of work into this topic usually, but also does other stuff like run LKS which he needs to get done in a more timely manner.  He never really discusses his personal situation, so I don't know what made him too busy this time, but he's clearly still active on the board.

Yeah, nothing wrong, just Real Life happened; I didn't feel it needed making a big deal about it ahead of time. (It's not like my posts are crucial to enjoying the basho goings-on, unlike when e.g. one of the limited number of video sources disappears.) Anyway, I was travelling over both the middle and the final weekend - I briefly considered starting up the thread on Day 10 as I used to do until a few years ago, but by that point I hadn't actually watched any bouts since Day 6 and with another absence looming for Days 13/14, it would have been pointless in any case.

On the topic, I don't have much to add to what's already been capably discussed. 5 up/down for juryo and makushita, 3 up/down for makuuchi and juryo unless they feel like penalizing Terutsuyoshi for the fact that he already got lucky last time, and Abi/Asanoyama for the komusubi spots is a nice conundrum - I'm leaning towards Abi for the East spot right now, but that's really a coin toss where perhaps even the committee members would decide differently if you asked them twice a week apart...

Ugh, M10 downwards is a mess again.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

It's not like my posts are crucial to enjoying the basho goings-on,

Yes, they are

• Like 1

Before they took down the dohyo they should have secretly marked one half of it “Juryo” and one half “M16w”, brought Terutsuyoshi in to toss a softball sized ball of salt, then measured which sectors attracted the most grains...  :)

8 hours ago, bettega said:

Yes, they are

Yes, they are also for me. 

I’m not an expert, so I read every time your topic to understand better the situation. I really appreciate your sumo knowledge.

Asashosakari, don’t underestimate your job. See you.

Edited by Fede

12 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

Yeah, nothing wrong, just Real Life happened; I didn't feel it needed making a big deal about it ahead of time. (It's not like my posts are crucial to enjoying the basho goings-on, unlike when e.g. one of the limited number of video sources disappears.) Anyway, I was travelling over both the middle and the final weekend - I briefly considered starting up the thread on Day 10 as I used to do until a few years ago, but by that point I hadn't actually watched any bouts since Day 6 and with another absence looming for Days 13/14, it would have been pointless in any case.

On the topic, I don't have much to add to what's already been capably discussed. 5 up/down for juryo and makushita, 3 up/down for makuuchi and juryo unless they feel like penalizing Terutsuyoshi for the fact that he already got lucky last time, and Abi/Asanoyama for the komusubi spots is a nice conundrum - I'm leaning towards Abi for the East spot right now, but that's really a coin toss where perhaps even the committee members would decide differently if you asked them twice a week apart...

Ugh, M10 downwards is a mess again.

Good to see you back. :)

16 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

It's not like my posts are crucial to enjoying the basho goings-on

Maybe not crucial, but your analysis and commentary adds to my enjoyment of the basho, and evidently to others' too.

Edited by RabidJohn
  • Like 3

@Asashosakari, your content is always greatly appreciated. The fact that many of us panic when life and other items of higher priority take precedence, shows how much we value your contributions. The promotion/demotion discussion is one I have great fun in reading and your analysis provided me with so much insight when getting started into sumo and still does today. Don't take our craving for your continued content as a negative, we appreciate any time you give up to provide us with your knowledge! The same goes for the many content generators of this site:

• @Akinomaki and his kensho tracker, spirited rikishi results, new recruits to watch, and daily pictures
  • @naganoyama for his Heya watch, and Upper and Lower division leaderboards
  • @amamaniac and the Bout Length tracker
  • @kintamayama and his endless stream of great content and knowledge
  • @mbovo for his coverage of the bashos

And the countless others who contribute their knowledge. I picked up the nuances of this amazing sport so quick thanks to all of the insight on these boards, as have so many more before me. So thank you all!

Edited by Tiger Tanaka
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 27/05/2019 at 17:38, Asashosakari said:

It's not like my posts are crucial to enjoying the basho goings-on

Honestly, they're my very favourite thing. 

• Like 2

On ‎26‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 09:33, ryafuji said:

Asanoyama not Ryuden will be komusubi. 

Looks like the Banzuke committee chose Ryuden over Asanoyama.  

8 minutes ago, Morningstar said:

Looks like the Banzuke committee chose Ryuden over Asanoyama.  

Yeah, I was pretty shocked at that considering he beat Ryuden.  I guess they were expecting more out of Asanoyama's final day effort. 

Well I was wrong.... still think Asanoyama should have got it. 

1 hour ago, ryafuji said:

Well I was wrong.... still think Asanoyama should have got it. 

I don’t think you’re alone in being wrong. :)