Gurowake

Promotion Discussion thread - Natsu 2019

2 minutes ago, ryafuji said:

You honestly think they will treat  a 12-3 yusho exactly the same as a regular 12-3?

It would not have been the first time. In general only the number of wins and your rank count. 

However, this is not to say that they do not upon occasion take into account other factors. Thus the by the numbers disclaimer.

By the numbers the rank rises by the difference between the wins and the losses. So 12-3 goes up by 9. Whereas 10-5 only goes up by 5. Thus Asanoyama should be higher than Ryuden without considering the yusho.

• Like 2

Looking at the Makuuchi / Juryo exchange, I see 2 clear promotions and 3 clear demotions with one maybe. So Takagenji & Toyonoshima go up. With Azumaryu and/or Kotoyuki getting a lucky promotion. 

Chiyoshoma , Ishiura, & Tokushoryu are going down. With Terutsuyoshi also most likely joining them.

35 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

Makuuchi <-> Juryo:

Out: Chiyoshoma, Ishiura, Tokushoryu

In: Toyonoshima, Takagenji, Kotoyuki

That is good enough for me

Yes I think Azumaryu would be extremely lucky to replace Terutsuyoshi. 

I think Terutsuyoshi will be saved from demotion.  Azumaryu is too far down in juryo with 8-7 record to replace Terutsuyoshi.

4 going down to Makushita?  Seiro to remain in juryo although there are potentially 5 worthy promotion candidates in Makushita.

5 going down to makushita I guess. Seiro goes down too as there are a lot of promotable rishiki. Hoshoryu could be ms1e in july.

Edited by Gooner

The joi looks to be rather crowded.  After we determine the sanyaku there's an obvious choice for M1e, but after that we have Ichinojo, Aoiyama, Hokutofuji, Endo, Daieisho, Meisei, and Shodai who should probably all be M3 or higher, but there's not enough room.  That'll also push Kotoshogiku down further than normal, since he's behind all of those 7.

1 hour ago, Gurowake said:

The joi looks to be rather crowded.  After we determine the sanyaku there's an obvious choice for M1e, but after that we have Ichinojo, Aoiyama, Hokutofuji, Endo, Daieisho, Meisei, and Shodai who should probably all be M3 or higher, but there's not enough room.  That'll also push Kotoshogiku down further than normal, since he's behind all of those 7.

Poor Takarafuji (Weeping...)

All I know is if there is any justice after staying at M15W twice with a 7-8 Kokoeto should stay there with a 8-7. 

1 hour ago, Rocks said:

All I know is if there is any justice after staying at M15W twice with a 7-8 Kokoeto should stay there with a 8-7. 

Chuckle.   There is no justice and Kotoeko shoots up to M13!

2 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

They'll probably make him Sanyaku. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rocks said:

Why?  At that low of a rank, you face mostly people ranked ahead of you.  If you can manage a 7-8, you should stay put.  It should be seen as entirely normal for that part of the banzuke.

11 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

My guess is he'll be ranked at least a little higher than that.  There's a huge void to fill and some people are going to get lucky promotions and small demotions relative to their score.

Edited by Gurowake
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, chishafuwaku said:

Well, they could promote him past Kotoshogiku.  If it was the Bench banzuke, they definitely would.

2 hours ago, chishafuwaku said:

He may have stumbled into the meatgrinder for the July basho.

5 hours ago, Asojima said:

He may have stumbled into the meatgrinder for the July basho.

Only if there's a similar level of kyujo rikishi.  He'll be lucky to get a full-rank promotion, which is what was being referred to.

To me, Mitakeumi-Asanoyama at senshuraku was very much the match to decide who's gonna be sekiwake east and west for Nagoya.

I mean, I kinda suck at GTB so take it with a Terutsuyoshi level pinch of salt.

What happened to Asashosakari's topic?
And what surprises me even more, given the popularity of his signature topic: why doesn't anyone ask the question?! (Idunno...) Did I miss something?(Eek...)

You seem to have missed the sterling efforts by Gurowake to fill the void.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lackmaker said:

You seem to have missed the sterling efforts by Gurowake to fill the void.

I haven't done anything unusual.  I usually do my own takes on the promotion situation, which sometimes differ a bit from Asashosakari's.  The only difference is that I had to create the thread this time since Asashosakari seems to not have time to do it.  And it certainly must take him a long time to type up all the stuff he normally does, even if he has most of the charts being created automatically (and I don't know to what extent that's true, because sometimes mistakes crop up).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, serge_gva said:

What happened to Asashosakari's topic?
And what surprises me even more, given the popularity of his signature topic: why doesn't anyone ask the question?! (Idunno...) Did I miss something?(Eek...)

Asashosakari puts a lot of work into this topic usually, but also does other stuff like run LKS which he needs to get done in a more timely manner.  He never really discusses his personal situation, so I don't know what made him too busy this time, but he's clearly still active on the board.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Thelone said:

To me, Mitakeumi-Asanoyama at senshuraku was very much the match to decide who's gonna be sekiwake east and west for Nagoya.

I don't know about that but I know Mitakeumi is good at beating the yusho winner.   

9 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

I haven't done anything unusual.  I usually do my own takes on the promotion situation, which sometimes differ a bit from Asashosakari's.  The only difference is that I had to create the thread this time since Asashosakari seems to not have time to do it.  And it certainly must take him a long time to type up all the stuff he normally does, even if he has most of the charts being created automatically (and I don't know to what extent that's true, because sometimes mistakes crop up).

All I see is someone providing a much appreciated promotion thread to accompany the basho. How you manage it is clearly a Labour of love beyond most of us.

35 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

LKS

What's that then?

Google came up with Landau-Kleffner Syndrome and Lambda Kappa Sigma, amongst other things, none of which seems likely.