Sign in to follow this  
autotroph

O2eHD, and similar ranks

I apologise if I have missed an obvious source of this information.

I have noticed ranks such as O2eHD and Ms10TD on the database recently. They do not appear on the legend (or if they do I can't work it out).

What do they mean?

Haridashi and makushita tsukedashi, respectively. 

From Wikipedia:

haridashi (張り出し)

Overhang. If there are more than two wrestlers at any san'yaku rank, the additional wrestlers are termed haridashi. Prior to 1995, such wrestlers were listed on the banzuke in extensions or "overhangs" to the row for makuuchi wrestlers. This is now an informal designation, since presently all wrestlers are listed within the normal bounds of the row.

makushita tsukedashi (幕下付け出し)
A system where an amateur wrestler who has won one of the four major amateur titles is allowed to skip the bottom three divisions and enter pro sumo at the makushita third highest division at the rank of makushita 15. In the event of achieving two of these titles in the same year, he can begin at makushita 10. The original system has existed since the Taishō era, and until 1966 any wrestler who was a university graduate could enter pro sumo at the bottom of makushita. The system was changed in 1966, and from then until 2001 a wrestler who had achieved success as an amateur would begin at the rank of makushita 60, though the criteria were not as strict as post 2001. (See also sandanme tsukedashi.)

• Thanks 4

24 minutes ago, autotroph said:

Thanks so much!

No worries. I've been a hanger on for nearly 11 years now, and not too long ago just posted my own question about some of the shorthand in the database I hadn't seen before, so know the pain! 

10 hours ago, Tochinofuji said:

No worries. I've been a hanger on for nearly 11 years now, and not too long ago just posted my own question about some of the shorthand in the database I hadn't seen before, so know the pain! 

I recently quit a 18 year membership in a leading IT forum, because it was getting too toxic. One of the nicest things here is, people just explain it.  No "what a stupid question" stuff or making fun of, just passing down the knowledge in a civilised manner.

• Like 2