Rainoyama

Takakeisho injury update

36 minutes ago, ryafuji said:

It's very difficult to win promotion to ozeki from scratch. Better to go all out to get ten this time if he's in any sort of condition to compete, even if not fully fit.

This is true, but for knee and spinal injuries the risk of losing one's entire sumo career is significant if returning too quickly. Ura is but the most recent example. Takakeisho may be the strongest candidate for an eventual Yokozuna spot among the current sanyaku, but not if he exacerbates an existing injury that takes him out permanently. I don't know the details of his status, of course, I just think keeping the Ozeki status is not as important as having a full recovery. As he said himself, he did it once, he can do it again.

My God are you guys seeing the calves on this dude? He’s jacked.

It seems to me like he’s ready to go, he’s been sitting out for a really long time I don’t think more time would do him any particular favor. Hopefully he’s good and gets the 10.

• Like 1

申し合い稽古する貴景勝(左)と明生(撮影・鈴木正人)

EDIT: Much better translation from Kintamayama on the Souken topic, go check it out there instead ! 

Takakeisho attented the keiko souken in front of the yokozuna deliberation council today and did some actual sumo this time. He faced fellow sekiwake Mitakeumi (against who and got injured in the first place) and M1W Aoyama (who henkaed him when he tryied to come back) for 5 bouts in total, winning 3 of them.

According to the article, Takakeisho showcased his usual brand of sumo without showing any signs of disconfort on the injured knee. "[Mitakeumi and Aoyama] are the opponents against who I got injured and who I faced when I tried to come back respectively, I haven't forgotten a day since my injury. I don't know if it's to forget about the injury or if it's to end a fight within myself but I wanted to face those two as soon as possible" he said. "It's been a while since I mounted the dohyo at the kokugikan therefore I'm happy I was able to experience how it feels to walk on the sand of a dohyo before the tournament begins. I was really excited because it's been so long"

Like the other day he had both knees taped today " The tape on my knees is loosened compared to before, in the end no taping is what feels the best" explained Takakeisho.

After the bouts, Hakuho offered to lend him his chest for butsukarigeiko, which Takakeisho gladly accepted and he didn't show any signs of disconfort at any point according to the article "I'm very grateful , let's do it with all I have I thought to myself, after all the Yokozuna's chest is the best chest to borrow when it comes to butsukarigeiko"

There's about a week left for Takakeisho to prepare, he'll need ten wins to immediately return  to ozeki " I did everything I could do until now, I'll do my best for the remaining days"

Former yokozuna and NHK pundit Kitanofuji who watched the session was much more reserved about Takakeisho's current shape "he is still very far from ready. His body looks way softer than when he managed to climb to ozeki in the first place" he analyzed. With just a week left until the basho starts Kitanofuji feels Takakeisho's condition is still insufficient "Mmm from what I saw today I think he's a little bit short, he needs a bit more time" Kitanofuji also says that to succeed Takakeisho will need to do well in the first half and ride the wave in the second half and that all depends on how much and how well he trains before the basho starts.

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201908310000299.html

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201908310000306.html

Edited by Rainoyama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Rainoyama said:
With just a week left until the basho starts Kitanofuji feels Takakeisho's condition is still insufficient "Mmm from what I saw today I think he's a little bit short" 

I don't think Takakeisho is going to grow much taller in a week, even if they stretch him :D

• Haha 6

Takakeishou took part in the Nishonoseki rengo keiko today, facing Abi, Ounoshou, and Tamawashi for 5 bouts, going 1-4. He was stopped in his tracks by Ounoshou, fell before even hitting Tamawashi and was not looking good. Mainoumi was there. "Really serious. I have a feeling he won't have enough time to face the sekitori to get back to his old self," he said. "I think it was extremely good. My knee is getting better by the day," said Takakeishou himself. "He doesn't seem to have the power to push all the way. He was pulling a lot," said Oguruma Oyakata. "He had too few bouts to say anything. It's not good that he gets stopped in his tracks, " added Shibatayama Oyakata. "It's lacking at this point. He may still be afraid to face the sekitori, " summed his Oyakata Chiganoura.

Picture says it all..

201909020000313-w500_0.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

On 02/09/2019 at 07:36, Kintamayama said:

"I think it was extremely good. My knee is getting better by the day," said Takakeishou himself.

If I remember correctly, he used to say "neither good, nor bad" about his training results when he was in top form...
I'm trying to not lose hope, but "extremely good" doesn't sound good at all.

Edited by MrGrumpyGills

This injury seems to have creeped him out. I'm hoping for the best, but his mental game may be damaged. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Philioyamfugi said:

This injury seems to have creeped him out. I'm hoping for the best, but his mental game may be damaged. 

The biggest thing Takakeisho had going for him was that he didn't seem to "think" much during his fighting. He just went out, sort of slack-jawed, and did what came naturally to him. That's the best sort of mindset for a premier athlete. If he has lost that, it's going to take a lot to get back to his old form...it's like having the yips in golf. :-/

• Like 1

I used to work for a guy that had been a semi-pro skateboarder in his younger days. He’d been in some skateboarding videos showing off but never got anywhere. He said he knew it was time to quit when he first felt nervous going down a ramp because it would make him pull back and the half pipe is something you just blindly have to commit to. Seems like Takakeisho is at that point himself; he got hurt and it’s rattled his cage a bit. Best thing for him to do is win some matches and get that confidence back.*

Edited by Churaumi
*assuming his injury has healed.
  • Like 2

I just went and looked up "butsukarigeiko," as I try to learn something from you folks here. I found an enlightening article on sumo training, rather well written also. I think I need to go see a training exhibition someday in Tokyo, if that's possible. If anyone has a good lead for me, please share it. I'll be there in January during the basho, but may visit again later in the year after the olympics. I love the lead photo in the article, captioned "butsukarigeiko." 

Link to the article:  https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2018/06/20/sumo/grueling-training-key-sumo-transcendence/#.XXE-Vy2ZNBw

A win is a win, especially when you've got a one-time shot at 10 to regain Ozeki status. But pre-injury Takekeisho's double arm thrusts seemed much stronger than what we saw today. Keep fighting Tak!!

OK, so all reports indicated that Takakeisho had not really healed completely, was not back to full strength, etc. However, during the first five days he's clearly now contending for the yusho.

So, was he intentionally dogging it to psyche the other rikishi out? It seems to me that because it is such a savage and ruthless sport, if still polite and respectful, the rikishi and oyakata don't like to give any info on injuries, info that could simply be used against a given wrestler. Am I wrong here? Did he simply have an amazing one-week recovery? Seems unlikely to me.

21 minutes ago, Thundersnow said:

OK, so all reports indicated that Takakeisho had not really healed completely, was not back to full strength, etc. However, during the first five days he's clearly now contending for the yusho.

So, was he intentionally dogging it to psyche the other rikishi out? It seems to me that because it is such a savage and ruthless sport, if still polite and respectful, the rikishi and oyakata don't like to give any info on injuries, info that could simply be used against a given wrestler. Am I wrong here? Did he simply have an amazing one-week recovery? Seems unlikely to me.

It's clear he was doing some very serious training at that high school of his. And totally sandbagging it after IMO.

For those who can't read japanese: this is bad. The injury is as bad as we feared. The MRI revealed Takakeisho tore his left pectoral muscle. According to the Oyakata there will be mo surgery. 6 weeks to heal. He won't be at the jungyo for sure and will probably be out for Kyushu to be safe.

Edited by Rainoyama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 4

3 minutes ago, Rainoyama said:

For those who can't read japanese: this is bad. The injury is as bad as we feared. The MRI revealed Takakeisho teared his left pectoral muscle. According to the Oyakata there will be mo surgery. 6 weeks to heal. He won't be at the jungyo for sure and will probably be out for Kyushu to be safe.

Thanks.   Yahoo translation was good enough for me.   He will be kadoban, most likely.   I hope  he won't be injury prone going forward.   

Isn't this the same injury Kisenosato had? And the "no surgery" path was such a great success? And Takakeishou is left handed so his career depends on this healing? Excellent.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Sad 5

What kind of blinders must one have to witness a yokozuna inevitably retire no more than a year ago in part due to a similar injury + not getting the surgery for it, but choose the exact same path despite the fact? We all saw that this kind of thing didn't just "heal." What point is there in crossing your fingers and hoping it might be different this time? (If I sound baffled, it's because I am.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Isn't this the same injury Kisenosato had? And the "no surgery" path was such a great success? And Takakeishou is left handed so his career depends on this healing? Excellent.

Very worrying indeed. Let's pray they are not making the same stupid mistake and that the injury is not as serious than Kisenosato's. What comforts me a bit is that Takakeisho is younger so his body may heal better. Also Kisenosato was screaming in pain when his injury happened whereas Takakeisho was clearly in pain but it seemed more bearable hopefully it means the tear is not as severe.