robnplunder

Natsu basho 2019 discussions [SPOILERS]

Sorry I said this a day late, but that Tochinoshin lift left me speechless. It reminds me of Haguroyama vs Terukuni in Aki 1947. I guess having strong arms comes with its benefits. At least Ichinojo won, but I highly doubt he will put on another 14-1 or yusho-worthy performance this time. Tamawashi has just been dissapointing so far. 

Haguroyama vs Terukuni: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zvzd1E173o

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terukuni said:

Sorry I said this a day late, but that Tochinoshin lift left me speechless. It reminds me of Haguroyama vs Terukuni in Aki 1947. I guess having strong arms comes with its benefits. At least Ichinojo won, but I highly doubt he will put on another 14-1 or yusho-worthy performance this time. Tamawashi has just been dissapointing so far. 

Haguroyama vs Terukuni: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zvzd1E173o

Lifted him 2 feet off the ground and out with a cross handed grip no less. Awesome. 

Masunoyama had quite some applause, but no comparison  with Naya. Flashlights from all over the hall as he won after being on the edge of defeat.

Onomatsu did a flawless explanation for the Joko.Hoshoryu bout monoii. Hoshoryu win confirmed.

Posted (edited)

Kotokamatani for juryo visit with oichomage. Usual. But with sekitori shimekomi? Very unusual I think. His father had grey? For pushing out Akiseyama I think I will vote for him for the spirited poll today.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Chiyoshoma looked a little slow to leave the dohyo. Did he think he'd won? That would be totally out of character for him.

Enho is settling in nicely in his debut. People will work him out eventually, but I think he can enjoy a spell like Ura when opponents less familiar with the style get caught out.

Shimanoumi gets his first top-division win on day three. Good for him. 

Okinoumi made Tochinoshin work haaard for that win. 3-0 though. That's all that counts.

Ichinojo looks lifeless.

Takayasu on two losses already. He really has no interest in ever winning a yusho.

Terrific stuff from Hokutofuji. It's been a while since we've seen Takakeisho get up from the third row.

I thought Kotoshogiku deserved a mono-ii, but the gyoji got it spot on. Nicely done.

Edited by Eikokurai

Already for Endo two zabuton flew.

Kakuryu didn't even consider putting an arm out, that's crazy dedication.

Here's my hot take on today's action:

A bunch of guys punched the clock and got paid, but never really showed up for work. I'm talking about Takarafuji, Shodai, and Aoiyama in particular. Chiyotairu gets an honorable mention for phoning it in. On the other hand, Tochinoshin, Hokutofuji and (even in defeat) Okinoumi reminded us of why we watch. Kakuryo and Matakeumi also provided fans with good value for the money.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Tsuchinoninjin said:

Kakuryu didn't even consider putting an arm out, that's crazy dedication.

At first look, I thought both heads hit  at same time. Good call

Edited by Philioyamfugi
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

For pushing out Akiseyama I think I will vote for him for the spirited poll today

He got first....well done;-)(Laughing...)

Kakuryu lucky not to be paralysed or dead after getting spiked on his head like that. He must have some seriously powerful neck muscles.

And Ichinojo had a heap of tape on his right knee today. I don't remember seeing his knees taped before, but is that just me not noticing? Regardless, at his weight a knee problem is bad news (especially added to the back injury) and he could end up like Terunofuji...

Not sure whether I enjoyed Tochinoshin's or Kakuryu's win better, but both were a bit of fun. Great reversal from Tochinoshin: I think Okinoumi came in with a solid game plan today and just about pulled it off. But what can you do with an opponent who's so strong they can say, "Actually, let's trade places" like that?

I just watched the replays again, and oh boy, what an awful day of bad bouts! If it wasn't for Kakuryu's nice throw at the end, I would feel totally robbed if I had bought a ticket.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

I just watched the replays again, and oh boy, what an awful day of bad bouts! If it wasn't for Kakuryu's nice throw at the end, I would feel totally robbed if I had bought a ticket.

You didn’t enjoy Tochinoshin’s and Hokutofuji’s wins? There were a few others worth watching too. 

36 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

It was an excellent day from makushita through to the end of makuuchi - worth every yen for the ticket. That's the difference when you watch live at the venue: you never would get the idea you could feel robbed.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

It was an excellent day from makushita through to the end of makuuchi - worth every yen for the ticket. That's the difference when you watch live at the venue: you never would get the idea you could feel robbed.

I’ve seen some pretty bad days over the years (on TV) featuring a succession of one second hatakikomi slap downs, or spiritless defeats to yorikiri and oshidashi, but I felt today was just fine. There were a couple of standout bouts, a few good ones, a few ones that were just fine and a couple of duffers. Nothing there to make me think it was an awful day at all. Frankly, I take the view that if just two bouts a day make me go “woah!”, that was a good day! 

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Kotokamitani for juryo visit with oichomage. Usual. But with sekitori shimekomi? Very unusual I think. His father had grey?

Unprecedented? Anyone know of a previous occastion that a makushita wore a silk mawashi for a juryo visit? And no I don't think I ever recall Kotonowaka wearing grey.

8 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Kotokamitani for juryo visit with oichomage. Usual. But with sekitori shimekomi? Very unusual I think.

And it's not as if he has ever ranked Juryo before. He must have had that shimekomi ready for a promotion... bad luck, I would say. Or arrogance, just as bad.

I wonder why Shodai bothered to get up today?!

He could have spared a lot of trouble and effort for a bunch of people, if he just stayed at home today.

Post bout Yokozuna Kakuryu had time to meet Julio César Lamas the head coach of the Japanese national basketball team.
The Yokozuna is a big fan of basketball and even considered a career in the sport before becoming inspired by sumo.

201905140000874-w1300_0.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Tomorrow looks fantastic -- five real quality matchups at the end, among all the other action.

This is probably one of the weakest sanyaku in a long time, and Tochinoshin really looks like he intends to take full advantage of it. 

• Like 1