Sign in to follow this  
Pandaazuma

Games Talk Natsu 2019

Posted (edited)

From day five or so I'll be tracking Oracle projections for the three Yokozuna and Ozeki along with Haidouzo and our new bot addition (as requested by Gurowake) who I am naming MechaJejima. MJ will have picks as follows: Y = 10, O = 9, S = 8, K = 7, M1-M3 = 6, M4 = 7, M5-J14E = 8, M5-J14W = 7

Ganzo reckons this bot will finish dead last. I reckon he'll be top half...and I wouldn't be surprised if he made the top ten.

Edited by Pandaazuma
Stupidity

2 hours ago, Pandaazuma said:

Ganzo reckons this bot will finish dead last. I reckon he'll be top half...and I wouldn't be surprised if he made the top ten.

I don't think he will finish behind Fujisan (Laughing...)

Ganzohnesushi

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Pandaazuma said:

I think it will finish top half. A top 10 is possible if most from M5 down that are doing well are on the East side. This basho may be tougher as I expect M1-M3 to average higher than 6 and M4 to do poorly. 

Ganbatte MechaJejima! 

Image result for mechagodzilla

• Haha 1

I'm all in on kaisei and goeido, I'm definitely not going to finish in the middle.

I've picked different Sekiwake in Bench and Roto.  Scoring systems matter when they're this close.

This is going to be a good, tough fought basho. Both on the dohyo and in the games. I don't see anyone running away with anything this basho.

Gambarize everybody!!!! (Liftingweights...)

Kaisei and Takayasu are injured then. There go half my pre-basho games! ;) Good job I mix up the picks a bit among the games.

Losses everywhere but SG and Toto.  Not good, but in games like TTT where only 12 people walked away with a win, it's not quite so bad.  Being part of the Ichinojo Exodus in Chain is no fun.

Oh, and, of course, I won in the Baka Cup.  Silver linings.

GANBARIMASU

32 minutes ago, Haidouzo said:

Losses everywhere but SG and Toto.  Not good, but in games like TTT where only 12 people walked away with a win, it's not quite so bad.  Being part of the Ichinojo Exodus in Chain is no fun.

Exact same for me. Totally I got a win in Toto given the disaster for the rest. Ichinojo loss was a total shock. 

Kaisei and Takayasu are injured then. There go half my pre-basho games! ;) Good job I mix up the picks a bit among the games.

I wouldn't go that far yet. You can throw Ichinojo in there too for me. They  all looked very rusty for sure but if they keep on this way it's going to be a miracle if I even KK anywhere.

How the heck did I face @Jejima in SG and forget to leave a message?

Good match Jejima! (Cheers...)

• Haha 1

I'm now getting against kaisei in the dailies out of pure spite.

2 hours ago, Tsuchinoninjin said:

I'm now getting against kaisei in the dailies out of pure spite.

I tried that yesterday. Didn't work out. 

Just announced that Takakeisho has gone kyujo. Adjust your sumo online game entries if you chose him.

Oracle Day 5:

You'll never guess who's absolutely flying!

Leader: MechaJejima
Gurowake -2
Haidouzo -3
Choshu-Yuki -5
Norizo -6
Pandaazuma -10
DeRosa -13

I have picked comically in Juryo. My projection of 6 for Ikioi is the only thing preventing total capitulation. Still...there is time for things to turn round.

7 hours ago, Gaijingai said:

Just announced that Takakeisho has gone kyujo. Adjust your sumo online game entries if you chose him.

Well, I didn't get up in the middle of the night so I didn't see this or the kyujo, and I hadn't changed my picks and lost the SG tiebreak because of it. Bummer.

Posted (edited)

Well, just manually totaled my team for Hoshitori and came up with a 380 after day 6. That is not too good normally for Day 6 but given the miserable state of the Ozeki and only 1 Yokozuna this basho maybe it might be as good as middle of the pack. 

The good thing is I have Hokutofuji as my sub for Takakeisho at 9. Considering he's faced his toughest competition except for Ichinojo and MItakeumi already I'm hoping that will work out and he will get me a KK.

Edited by Rocks

Oracle Day 7:

Gurowake is looking strong this basho.

Leader: Gurowake
MechaJejima -6
Norizo -7
Pandaazuma -9
Haidouzo, Choshu-Yuki -10
DeRosa -13

Well, at least Hokutofuji got me 2 wins while Takakeisho is out.  Aoiyama is looking dreadful so I think Takakeisho can pull that one out bringing him to 4 wins. Maybe he will just eek out a KK, if he really is feeling better and not just deluding himself. Good luck to him.

Absolutely stunned at the number of people picking Enho last night in DST, SG and Bench.  If you couldn't see that loss to Terutsuyoshi coming from a mile away I have to wonder what you are watching. 

1 hour ago, Rocks said:

Absolutely stunned at the number of people picking Enho last night in DST, SG and Bench.  If you couldn't see that loss to Terutsuyoshi coming from a mile away I have to wonder what you are watching. 

Seems you have problems accepting other opinions and views sometimes. Among the 20 Bouts in Makuuchi only very few were "easy" to predict, thus Enho seemed to be a not so bad pick in DST (where usually the most difficult bouts are selected). 52% picking him in SG for me looks normal for a 5-1 Rikishi meeting a 2-4 Rikishi and in Bench you anyway have to deal with the daily Torikumi for your 10 selected Rikishi.

As you are handing out such wise advice after the Bouts I'm just asking myself why you did not survive even Day 1 in Chain Gang   :-P

Ganzohnesushi

18 minutes ago, Ganzohnesushi said:

Seems you have problems accepting other opinions and views sometimes. Among the 20 Bouts in Makuuchi only very few were "easy" to predict, thus Enho seemed to be a not so bad pick in DST (where usually the most difficult bouts are selected). 52% picking him in SG for me looks normal for a 5-1 Rikishi meeting a 2-4 Rikishi and in Bench you anyway have to deal with the daily Torikumi for your 10 selected Rikishi.

As you are handing out such wise advice after the Bouts I'm just asking myself why you did not survive even Day 1 in Chain Gang   :-P

Ganzohnesushi

I was out of CG on Day 1 for the same reason 39 other people were, I picked Ichinojo to win against someone he usually beats easily, and he lost.

As for problems with others I have none. Just expressing my shock at them sometimes. Same sort of thing happens sometimes in ISP.

As for the games I'll give you Bench, but just because he's in your lineup doesn't mean you have to start him.  There's something to be said for SG too as many there are just picking based on fandom or record but I never thought that would amount to 52%. As for DST to see so many pick AND place him high? I just don't get it. DST seems to attract players with more knowledge and watch the matches closely. Anyone doing that should already be aware that picking any Enho match factors in more than the rickishi's record, etc. 

2 hours ago, Rocks said:

you couldn't see that loss to Terutsuyoshi coming from a mile away I have to wonder what you are watching. 

Can you tell us mortals, what's the reason you saw it coming from miles away....prior to today their record was 2-1 ......what in the style of sumo of specifically those 2 rikishi made it sooooo easy to pick terutsuyoshi over enho?

56 minutes ago, Gernobono said:

Can you tell us mortals, what's the reason you saw it coming from miles away....prior to today their record was 2-1 ......what in the style of sumo of specifically those 2 rikishi made it sooooo easy to pick terutsuyoshi over enho?

If you think style of sumo or the closeness of their record had a lot to do with it I can see where you went wrong. Terut lost on purpose in January. Go and watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPnLmzmMXkI

It's a comical farce. The idea that Terut  would not only lose to a henka but do so in such a blatant manner is ridiculous. He practically dives to the ground.  The last match I saw which was so blatant was when Tochinoshin lost to Gagamaru to give him a KK and keep him in makuuchi.  Terut is not only significantly stronger than Enho, being short himself he takes away what little advantage Enho has against others. There is no way for him to go low against Terut. In 100 straight up matches Terut would beat Enho 99 times and the one loss would be because he slipped. Terut is also very proud.  The henka in January was probably because he was not going to lose in such a manner other than that which made clear it wasn't because Enho beat him. 

The things to ask yourself in picking a Enho match are:

Is his opponent injured? is his opponent's basho NOT going terribly? Will losing NOT strongly effect his opponent's career? 

If the answer to all those is No then it's probable Enho will lose.

Throw into that did the opponent lose to Enho the last time he faced him and it's almost certain.

Normally I don't even bother.  Thinking a lot about his matches is more than I care to do.  I just pick against Enho. But I usually avoid his match in all other games if it can be avoided. Normally that match would be my 0 in DST for example. That match was my 4 last night. It's wasn't 5 because I thought it slightly more certain Onosho would beat Yago. Yago is in no condition to handle Onosho's charge this basho and he has no ability to avoid it. I don't care to benefit from the kyokai's marketing gimmick. 

Edited by Rocks

Under my picking system, Enho was the best pick of all the choices in DST on day 7. It was a tough day in general and I even included him in my SG line-up.

Enho has been doing strong sumo with the occasional gimmick. Terutsuyoshi had, until that point, been lackluster. My main concern was that Enho tends to do well against the bigger, slower guys, but could run into trouble with the smaller, faster ones. That said, of the choices on offer, he was viable and worth the punt as he looks up for winning every bout. He lost, but...hey...welcome to sumo gaming. ;)

"In 100 straight up matches Terut would beat Enho 99 times and the one loss would be because he slipped."

I don't even know what to say to that. If you truly believe that to be true, I have to wonder at your understanding of sumo.

"In 100 straight up matches Terut would beat Enho 99 times and the one loss would be because he slipped."

I don't even know what to say to that. If you truly believe that to be true, I have to wonder at your understanding of sumo.

I have to wonder at your understanding of Rocks.  It's not like this is the first time he's said something like that.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1