Sign in to follow this  
WAKATAKE

Hakuho Applying for Japanese Citizenship

On 04/10/2019 at 10:10, Akinomaki said:

The travel agency Airtri(p) エアトリ made a survey among 1304 Japanese men and women age 20 to 70 about "Which famous person becoming Japanese made you happy?" and today published the ranking.

Airtrip published details of the survey https://www.airtrip-corp.com/news/2019/3158/

First question: What are your feelings toward famous people active in Japan getting the Japanese nationality?

19.7% extremely glad

19.9% somewhat glad

52.3% can't say

3.1% rather not glad

5.1 not at all glad

2.  - the travel agency question: Have you experienced getting interested in the country of origin of a famous person that became Japanese? Yes 34% No 66%

3. Which sport do you feel to have the most athletes that became Japanese?

1. Sumo 48.2%
  2. Rugby 14.2%
  3. Soccer 8.2%
  4. Baseball 5.6%
  5. Martial Arts 0.7%

4. the ranking from the first post with frequency

1. Hakuho - 54
  2. Ramos - 47
  3. Donald Keene - 29
  5. Takamiyama - 18
  6. Konishiki - 13

Hakuho is top because he's the most recent and still best remembered

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Hakuho has a part in the Olympics - but maybe not as planned: he'll be a torchbearer to run in the Olympic torch relay in Sumida-ward, where the kokugikan is located. http://www.news24.jp/articles/2019/12/07/07557594.html

But will he also make it to the Opening ceremony for a dohyo-iri? Possibly on the same day?

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Hakuho is going to run?

Unless he goes kyujo or refuses the honor. The torchbearers in the Olympic relay usually have to run themselves - no attendants to do it for them while they ride the bus.

• Haha 2

No dohyo-iri (not neccessarily by the Hak) would be a huge disappointment.

To be fair, anytime I've seen video of a famous person in the torch relay it's usually been a light jog, not exactly a "run". The unknowns participating in it might be setting a quicker pace, but not the celebs. Gotta make it easy for the media folks covering it.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

To be fair, anytime I've seen video of a famous person in the torch relay it's usually been a light jog, not exactly a "run". The unknowns participating in it might be setting a quicker pace, but not the celebs. Gotta make it easy for the media folks covering it.

Each leg of the torch relay is quite short---around 200 meters or so. A torch bearer doesn't have to run at all. If he or she is unable to run, walking while holding the torch should be perfectly okay. So is the use of a wheelchair whose users are provided with equipment to attach the torch to the chair. In theory a torch bearer should be alone,  but they are permitted to have the assistance of a wheelchair helper or for a blind person to use a guide dog or another person to help him or her.

I wonder if torch bearers are also allowed to use skate boards and/or roller skates. :-)

Edited by sekitori

Each municipality in the Metropolitan area can assign 4-8 runners to their part of the relay https://www.sankei.com/tokyo2020/news/191208/tko1912080004-n1.html

- I guess Sumida ward will have a course passing by at the kokugikan - Hakuho will get reminded of his new recruit days: in sumo school they have the daily 3 (or so) times run around the kokugikan.

But will Hakuho for his appearance in public be dressed Japanese style ? Hopefully not sumo run style.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

On 19/04/2019 at 20:00, Akinomaki said:

Hiruobi with Demon and sumo journalist Osumi - Demon thinks the chance of Hakuho getting an ichidai toshiyori myoseki is just 50% (Osumi thinks it's 90%): the NSK might want to abolish this option (to avoid having to give it to a foreign born for the first time) - Osumi thinks that would be an international scandal.

The talk that Hakuho should be denied an ichidai toshiyori myoseki has left the realm of the tabloids and arrived in the main papers by now https://www.jiji.com/jc/article?k=2019121200282

This jiji article even points out opinions that the Hakuho cup, the biggest international tournament for kids up to middle school, is just a means for Hakuho to show off. The fear by an (unnamed) oyakata of his Isegahama-ichimon is mentioned, that Hakuho also as oyakata will be as arrogant as his behavior on the dohyo.

The papers clearly are on the side of the YDC in their critic of Hakuho - article after article shows the elbow against Endo: also the Japanese public likely won't accept that the NSK doesn't caution Hakuho for mistreating their darling.

On 25/11/2019 at 17:30, Akinomaki said:

The YDC didn't forget to appreciate the 43rd yusho, but mainly objected to the way Hakuho dealt with Endo - and others. Chief Yano: "Isn't that going too far? Nearly all member thought it an ugly sight as the behavior of a yokozuna." "We want to see some guidance by the NSK."

In the press conference some media people expressed the opinion that it was an elbow strike rather than a kachiage. But Shibatayama made clear that the NSK has no intention to caution Hakuho or Miyagino-oyakata: "We want his opponents to be alert. The one who uses harite and kachiage opens up his side." http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201911250000670.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/12/2019 at 08:11, Akinomaki said:
On 19/04/2019 at 20:00, Akinomaki said:

Hiruobi with Demon and sumo journalist Osumi - Demon thinks the chance of Hakuho getting an ichidai toshiyori myoseki is just 50% (Osumi thinks it's 90%): the NSK might want to abolish this option (to avoid having to give it to a foreign born for the first time) - Osumi thinks that would be an international scandal.

The talk that Hakuho should be denied an ichidai toshiyori myoseki has left the realm of the tabloids and arrived in the main papers by now https://www.jiji.com/jc/article?k=2019121200282

This jiji article even points out opinions that the Hakuho cup, the biggest international tournament for kids up to middle school, is just a means for Hakuho to show off. The fear by an (unnamed) oyakata of his Isegahama-ichimon is mentioned, that Hakuho also as oyakata will be as arrogant as his behavior on the dohyo.

So there seems to be a significant voice within the NSK that is pushing to deny the Greatest Of All Time an honour that he rightly deserves.  Are they seriously considering abolishing the ichidai toshiyori option so as to avoid essentially letting a foreign-born superstar keep his ring name?   That would be pretty transparent.  Ichidai toshiyori aside, are NSK members seriously hoping to deny Hakuho becoming an oyakata?  He's been the de facto oyakata at Miyagino Stable for several years now, and his efforts are already showing impressive results.  

Hakuho should be embraced as a living national treasure, especially now that he is a Japanese citizen.

Even before Hakuho becomes a member of the NSK (can't see it not happening), the lines seem to be drawn in the sand...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Amamaniac said:

So there seems to be a significant voice within the NSK that is pushing to deny the Greatest Of All Time an honour that he rightly deserves.  Are they seriously considering abolishing the ichidai toshiyori option so as to avoid essentially letting a foreign-born superstar keep his ring name?   That would be pretty transparent.  Ichidai toshiyori aside, are NSK members seriously hoping to deny Hakuho becoming an oyakata?  He's been the de facto oyakata at Miyagino Stable for several years now, and his efforts are already showing impressive results.  

Hakuho should be embraced as a living national treasure, especially now that he is a Japanese citizen.

Even before Hakuho becomes a member of the NSK (can't see it not happening), the lines seem to be drawn in the sand...

Hakuho may reach makuuchi yusho number 50. Instead of making him a one-generation toshiyori, the NSK should make the name "Hakuho" a permanent toshiyori mioseki. 

• Like 3

A little too early for hatsu preparation so I write the post in this thread but Hakuho found himself surrounded by reporters writing his goals on colored papers.

(I guess this is banzuke related actually, so if someone wants to move it...)

20191224-00010038-chuspo-000-1-view.jpg

Now that we're moving into the 'olympic year', Hakuho's target is no longer just to keep going until the olympics. After the 43rd yusho at kyushuu basho he wrote down '50th' on the colored paper. "You guys caused me to write this" he said with a smile. "What I want to say is that Kyushuu basho is one thing that made me confident, or that I can still do it. You can say I've become a blocking wall for the young guys."

"After the olympics, I can see the target to set my sight on. The dream to chase. If I make it 50 (yusho), then I think I can keep my motivation after the olympics are finished. But its a big thing to say, man"

About the kachiage and harite criticism - "I completely don't understand. I'm just doing my own sumo. It's not called a banned move, right?"

About the rikishi he has his eyes on - New sekiwake Asanoyama, New komusubi Daieisho, own deshi Enho "It's good to have a great big wall. In the respect I'll steadily do keiko to block the way (for them, and be that wall). This year was 2 yusho, next year 3. Step by step to rise upwards" giving a confident laugh.

Edited by Tsuchinoninjin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 08/12/2019 at 01:09, sekitori said:

Each leg of the torch relay is quite short---around 200 meters or so. A torch bearer doesn't have to run at all. If he or she is unable to run, walking while holding the torch should be perfectly okay. So is the use of a wheelchair whose users are provided with equipment to attach the torch to the chair. In theory a torch bearer should be alone,  but they are permitted to have the assistance of a wheelchair helper or for a blind person to use a guide dog or another person to help him or her.

I wonder if torch bearers are also allowed to use skate boards and/or roller skates. :-)

How about tsukebito though? :P

On 05/10/2019 at 12:39, Akinomaki said:

Airtrip published details of the survey https://www.airtrip-corp.com/news/2019/3158/

First question: What are your feelings toward famous people active in Japan getting the Japanese nationality?

19.7% extremely glad

19.9% somewhat glad

52.3% can't say

3.1% rather not glad

5.1 not at all glad

Would this "can't say" be like "I don't know" or more like "I'd rather not say that publicly"?

17 minutes ago, Koorifuu said:

Would this "can't say" be like "I don't know" or more like "I'd rather not say that publicly"?

Can't say I'm glad, can't say I'm not glad - "I don't know if I'm glad" is not what people usually feel, but "I rather don't want to say - or decide" is well covered by this

• Thanks 1

On 12/12/2019 at 08:11, Akinomaki said:

The YDC didn't forget to appreciate the 43rd yusho, but mainly objected to the way Hakuho dealt with Endo - and others. Chief Yano: "Isn't that going too far? Nearly all member thought it an ugly sight as the behavior of a yokozuna." "We want to see some guidance by the NSK."

But Shibatayama made clear that the NSK has no intention to caution Hakuho or Miyagino-oyakata: "We want his opponents to be alert. The one who uses harite and kachiage opens up his side."

The NSK offices finished work today, with some comments on the year, Shibatayama: "Feels like Hakuho is again in level flight", also about the YDC demand: "We as the NSK can't say anything to that. It's neither against the rules nor foul play", and he repeated the advice to the opponents, pointing out Daieisho, who managed to get a kinboshi from Hakuho last basho by attacking the opening from the kachiage: "You have to aim for that, so that Hakuho can't use his power." http://hochi.news/articles/20191227-OHT1T50144.html

and he advised the YDC to order Hakuho to appear before them themselves, if they want to tell him their demands. http://www.daily.co.jp/general/2019/12/27/0012994550.shtml

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

and he advised the YDC to order Hakuho to appear before them themselves, if they want to tell him their demands. http://www.daily.co.jp/general/2019/12/27/0012994550.shtml

I have to say, I would be very interested to see the transcript of that conversation, if it ever came to pass. :-)

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

and the announcement that he'll retire this year

And we learn only now?

Edited by Benihana

Since he said a few years ago that he wanted to make it until the Olimpics, that September 2020 was most likely going to be his last basho.

I think he will only be on the doyo in November in 2 scenarios:

1 - He has won 44 yusho and wants to try for the 45th in Nov.

2 - A more weird one... He wins the next 5 yusho and wants to have a go at making it to 50.

19 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Hakuho on the 4th had an interview with the Tokudane wide show, aired on the show today (8:56h-9:09h) youtube.query=とくダネ!+2020年1月6日

Kachiage, weight training - and the announcement that he'll retire this year

It did seem a little casual the way he said it though which doesn't seem wise to me.

4 hours ago, specialweek 2 said:

It did seem a little casual the way he said it though which doesn't seem wise to me.

Dangerous even - wasn't Konishiki denied to compete on his final two days after declaring his wish to retire?

Posted (edited)
On ‎07‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 09:14, Jakusotsu said:

Dangerous even - wasn't Konishiki denied to compete on his final two days after declaring his wish to retire?

Yes he was - I think one of his tsukebito blurted it out and he wasn't allowed to step onto the dohyo. I even heard that his parents had come especially to see him fight one last time.

Edit: More on this here.

Edited by ryafuji

Posted (edited)

Was browsing through the current kabu list and came to an interesting theory related to Hakuho and his future in the Kyokai, I felt this was probably the most appropriate thread to bring it up in. 

There have been questions and debate about Hakuho will get that ichidai toshiyori status and branch out to make Hakuho beya. And of course with his actions and attitudes that have received reprimand from NSK officials, the YDC and the media at times, there has been conversation about denying him that very status. As of the now cancelled "May" Natsu basho, we know that he has still not assumed any kabu, so he is still in limbo about which name he will be assuming, depending on the NSK's choice to bestow on him ichidai toshiyori or not.

One interesting thing I have found, the current Miyagino is going to be 63 in August, which means he only has two years left to lead the heya. Could it be possible that Hakuho may hold out until the summer of 2022, with the opportunity to assume the Miyagino kabu and take over that heya?

Edited by WAKATAKE