Sign in to follow this  
WAKATAKE

Hakuho Applying for Japanese Citizenship

21 minutes ago, Otokonoyama said:

One detail to consider is the koseki tohon - family registry. If uses his own family registry listing him as head of household, they have to take his name. If he rather opted to be listed on his wife's koseki (and dissolving his own as is required) with her as head of household, then the kids get to use (or keep) her family name. In that case, he could register an alias, maybe something like Hakuho Sho, so that he could continue to legally use his shikona on his ID.

He already decided on Hakuho Sho as his legal real Japanese name, so it can't be just an alias - he won't change the name the next day in the family registry. I guess we'll have to wait till the next Hakuho cup and see how his son gets announced to know - I asked the original question because I find it hard to believe that he'll like to be called Hakuho-kun now - and his sisters Hakuho-san or -chan.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

He already decided on Hakuho Sho as his legal real Japanese name, so it can't be just an alias - he won't change the name the next day in the family registry. I guess we'll have to wait till the next Hakuho cup and see how his son gets announced to know - I asked the original question because I find it hard to believe that he'll like to be called Hakuho-kun now - and his sisters Hakuho-san or -chan.

An alias can be registered at a municipal office and listed on your juminhyo. Then it's perfectly legal. You can file taxes, receive a health insurance card, and open a bank account all with the registered alias. And, his wife and kids also have that option available to them. Take his name, and register their former name as their legal aliases. So they can continue to use the name Tomoyoshi or Wada or Davaajargal as though nothing happened.

Edited by Otokonoyama
  • Thanks 1

Apparently with becoming Japanese, Hakuho's popularity has gone into a never known slump.

This article lists the "booing" by Japanese fans http://npn.co.jp/article/detail/30435723/

- mainly in the line of "he should rather go back to Mongolia" and "he's responsible for the Harumafuji incident"

This is reflected by an all time low in personal kensho - all other sanyaku have 60 or much more - he just 19

2 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Top in personal kensho is Takakeisho with 193, then Mitakeumi with 126 and Endo with 113 (Takayasu would have been high up - I guess with 175). Goeido has 98, Abi 71, Kakuryu 67, Tochinoshin 63 - and Hakuho ? Just 19!!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

On 05/09/2019 at 12:52, Otokonoyama said:

So they can continue to use the name Tomoyoshi or Wada or Davaajargal as though nothing happened.

Not Davaajargaliin? Do the Japanese authorities disallow the patronymic form? 

On ‎05‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 00:11, WAKATAKE said:

There is that possibility, although there are very few vacant kabu left. Hakuho would have to borrow one and then he and current Miyagino would have to switch. With the recent retirements, only Endo has his not occupied. Yamashina is owned by Onishiki but he appears to be out of the kyokai having retired.

Think you mean Ikioi (Kasugayama). Endo's Kitajin share is being borrowed by ex-Shotenro. Also, there is another kabu available, Tateyama which was last used by ex-Tamanofuji.

Sokokurai is also granted Japan citizenship. He will probably inherit his current master's kabu next March when his master retires (meaning he retires too).

2 hours ago, Dapeng said:

Sokokurai is also granted Japan citizenship. He will probably inherit his current master's kabu next March when his master retires (meaning he retires too).

15 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Apparently with becoming Japanese, Hakuho's popularity has gone into a never known slump.

This article lists the "booing" by Japanese fans http://npn.co.jp/article/detail/30435723/

- mainly in the line of "he should rather go back to Mongolia" and "he's responsible for the Harumafuji incident"

This is reflected by an all time low in personal kensho - all other sanyaku have 60 or much more - he just 19

Here's what the rest of the quoted fans said:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-"I thought, 'What??' I don't even want to look at his face."

-"Asashoryu would have been better than this guy."

-I wish we could have had a Japanese Yokozuna for the Tokyo Olympics. If only Kisenosato could have healed and held on a bit longer..."

-"He should go back to Mongolia. Will he become an Oyakata and teach his dirty brand of sumo? I don't want him to sully the Japanese flag."

-"He doesn't need to take Japanese citizenship; he should just go back to his own country."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ouch (Protesting...)

Edited by Kaninoyama

I knew he isn't the most loved, but the massive drop in kensho and these comments are quite a bit...disturbing.

Edited by Benihana
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Benihana said:

I knew he isn't the most loved, but the massive drop in kensho and these comments are quite a bit...disturbing.

Keyboard warriors as is common in the age of the internets.

• Like 2

That’s depressing. I saw some comments about Sokokurai becoming Japanese made by Chinese fans and they were surprisingly positive* so it’s sad to see Japanese fans turning on the prejudice.

*Though the Chinese have a fluid approach to nationality. An American who is ethnically Chinese is still Chinese to them, so they tend to get too bothered about the passport one holds. Plus there are not many Chinese sumo fans so it’s unlikely I’d come across many comments about Sokokurai.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

That’s depressing. I saw some comments about Sokokurai becoming Japanese made by Chinese fans and they were surprisingly positive* so it’s sad to see Japanese fans turning on the prejudice.

*Though the Chinese have a fluid approach to nationality. An American who is ethnically Chinese is still Chinese to them, so they tend to get too bothered about the passport one holds. Plus there are not many Chinese sumo fans so it’s unlikely I’d come across many comments about Sokokurai.

I'm assuming you meant "not get too bothered about...". With Sokokurai being ethnically Mongol, perhaps they just don't care that much either way, and rather enjoy sumo.

Weren't the kensho placements decided some time before Hakuhou went public with his declaration? I'd say Hakuhou's popularity has been tanking lately regardless of his nationality. The fans have turned from him to other places. When I was there in May, the most popular guy by far was Mitakeumi. I was sitting not in my place as usual, and the guy sitting next to me said it was OK provided I shout as loud as I could for Mitakeumi. I promised to do so, but my fingers were crossed so hahaha.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 5

39 minutes ago, Otokonoyama said:

I'm assuming you meant "not get too bothered about...". With Sokokurai being ethnically Mongol, perhaps they just don't care that much either way, and rather enjoy sumo.

Yes, I did! Good spot. As for the Mongolian thing, that actually doesn’t matter. He’s Chinese because he’s from China and looks Asian. There are 56 ethnic minorities recognized here and if you’re one of them, you’re Chinese and that’s it (even if you don’t agree, like many Tibetans and Uighurs). The same fans I saw commenting sent him a Chinese-flag embroidered sash not long ago and he was the focus of a mini-documentary made by a Chinese film crew because he was *their* rikishi. 

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Weren't the kensho placements decided some time before Hakuhou went public with his declaration?

Sure, but well after he got the green light from Mongolia to renounce his nationality - it was clear that he would be Japanese soon. The sponsors react to popularity - his obviously was/is on the way to sub-zero. People think he wants to take over sumo and mongolize it - ruin sumo as they think it should be. The tabloids keep telling them that for years, and now really many seem to believe it.

Edited by Akinomaki

12 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

"Asashoryu would have been better than this guy."

Wow.... I never thought someone would say something like this. Asashoryu always seemed  to be portrayed as the bad guy and Hakuho the good guy. How times have changed. (Idunno...)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Sure, but well after he got the green light from Mongolia to renounce his nationality - it was clear that he would be Japanese soon. The sponsors react to popularity - his obviously was/is on the way to sub-zero. People think he wants to take over sumo and mongolize it - ruin sumo as they think it should be. The tabloids keep telling them that for years, and now really many seem to believe it.

Not to mention the fact that it seems he pisses off the Kyokai every time he makes a yusho interview.. I think the downhill roller coaster started when he refused to leave the dohyo in that Yoshikaze bout. At least for me , that was it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Not to mention the fact that it seems he pisses off the Kyokai every time he makes a yusho interview.. I think the downhill roller coaster started when he refused to leave the dohyo in that Yoshikaze bout. At least for me , that was it.

Yes, for me too. It was disgusting. 

5 hours ago, Kishinoyama said:

Wow.... I never thought someone would say something like this. Asashoryu always seemed  to be portrayed as the bad guy and Hakuho the good guy. How times have changed. (Idunno...)

Maybe it was just an intentional exaggeration. 

15 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Funny, really. If Taiho. Chiyonofuji and Takanohana were locked out of top executive positions in the NSK, then being among the greatest ever yokuzuna is clearly a liability for Kyokai leadership. Obviously Hakuho's only recourse would be to be akuma oyakata. Nothing more than an oyakata that raises superb deshi.

14 hours ago, Otokonoyama said:

If Taiho. Chiyonofuji and Takanohana were locked out of top executive positions in the NSK (...) 

Taiho wasn't "locked out"; the stroke he suffered and its physical after-effects made it hard for him to be in a front-and-center role. Maybe it would be different nowadays, but in the 1970s/80s... But to my knowledge he was being groomed for major roles in the Kyokai prior to that, unlike the other two. And it's arguable that even Takanohana was being fast-tracked until he insisted on accelerating the process and started making enemies.

• Like 1

Chiyonofuji did make it to the board, but my understanding was that he was seen as a bit of an asshole to work with. Takanohana made being a judging crew chief pretty fast to other wrestlers as oyakata.

Ok, were not allowed to rise to the top, due to a variety of factors. But sheer number of yusho won has not seemed like a major factor in choosing a riji-cho from all that has been reported and discussed on here. I'm not sure how anyone could think that Hakuho is somehow going to take over sumo and "mongolize" it. Even the once formidable Takanohana-oyakata was unable to effect much change, despite even having organized a renegade de facto ichimon in support.

Posted (edited)
On 06/09/2019 at 16:51, Akinomaki said:

That apparently represented just some (minor?) part of Japanese society  (likely the SNS lying lot). The travel agency Airtri(p) エアトリ made a survey among 1304 Japanese men and women age 20 to 70 about "Which famous person becoming Japanese made you happy?" and today published the ranking.

1. Hakuho
  2. Ramos
  3. Donald Keene
  5. Takamiyama
  6. Konishiki

http://hochi.news/articles/20191004-OHT1T50059.html

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

Vocal minority gets pounced on by parts of the media for its headline-grabbing effects, news at eleven.

(Not that I think that survey is all that much more relevant either; the vast majority of people probably have no feelings either way about Hakuho becoming Japanese.)