Sign in to follow this  
WAKATAKE

Hakuho Applying for Japanese Citizenship

7 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

I wonder if they’ll face legal action from Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey.

Sorry, no one's getting on their knees. We don't get fooled again.

8 hours ago, Otokonoyama said:

More on that group:

Meet The Hu, the Mongolian metal band set to conquer Europe

Combining traditional instruments and Mongolian throat singing with hard rock, The Hu have alighted on an unusual combination that makes them unique ambassadors for Mongolian culture

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/the-hu-mongolian-band-interview

I Can't Explain, but folk of My Generation are unlikely to accept this Mongolian Substitute...

Sry, getting a bit off topic here...

As a Metal fan for 25 years, I have to say they sound quiet good. In line with nordic bands that play Viking or Folk Metal. Good mix of traditional sounds/instruments with an heavy atmosphere.

Unfortunately for them, like in other music genders, in the Metal comunity people rather go to a concert listening to a guy screaming non-sence on songs that took 5 minutes to write, than supporting quality bands with unique sounds that require work and skills to produce.

Hi, I'm looking for information about Hakuho's applying for Japanese citizenship.  Is there a thread for that?(Beingunsure...)

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

I wonder if they’ll face legal action from Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey.

You better you bet.

On 17/06/2019 at 02:20, WakaTakaFlame said:

The governing structures are not the sport. The kyokai is not sumo in the same way FIFA is not soccer or the IOC is not every olympic sport. Sumo is what happens on the Dohyo and in the beyas. Soccer is what happens on the field.

Wrong, like FiFA shapes football so does JSA shapes sumo. And you know what? I enjoy watching sumo and I rather trust in the ones who made it and ruled it until this day to keep my interest than in any other people. 

If being a Mongolian is good enough to be by far the best person to ever compete in this sport, it should be good enough to be an oyakata. And if there are structural issues preventing that, those structures should be changed.

No. It's not like they didn't know of the requirements before taking up sumo. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 19/04/2019 at 20:00, Akinomaki said:

Viking has regular interviews with Kyokushuzan: he thinks that it might be difficult for Hakuho to have the president grant him to give up his Mongolian nationality - and the people in Mongolia are divided in half about it.

Hakuho has taken this hurdle: the Mongolian authorities have acknowledged that he gives up his Mongolian nationality. Next step is to apply for the Japanese one - it is expected that he will do that now. https://www.asahi.com/articles/GCO2019062801002744.html

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Hakuho has taken his hurdle: the Mongolian authorities have acknowledged that he gives up his Mongolian nationality. Next step is to apply for the Japanese one - it is expected that he will do that now. https://www.asahi.com/articles/GCO2019062801002744.html

His mother was OK with it till now,  but upon hearing it's official, said: "I now feel like my son is drifting  away.."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

His mother was OK with it till now,  but upon hearing it's official, said: "I now feel like my son is drifting  away.."

When Hakuho married a Japanese woman was when the major drift happened. When your career (and best future career) are in, and your wife is from, the same country, it logically follows that's where you are going to stay. It would have been surprising if he didn't apply for Japanese citizenship.

• Like 1

Original posting by @apraxin

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20190903/k10012061001000.html?utm_int=news_contents_news-main_001

Just breaking on NHK now, so pretty much just what the title says - it's understood that on September 3rd, Hakuho formally applied for Japanese citizenship, which is a requirement if he wants to be an oyakata. No word yet if this presages his imminent retirement from active sumo.

Now to check what the article says, and hopefully I'm not jumping the gun, but I know that the great one @Kintamayama will correct me if I'm wrong. Hakuho HAS acquired Japanese citizenship, which was the last legal step needed to remain in the NSK as an oyakata. Given that he has several records that will probably remain unbroken for ages to come, he is likely to be given ichidai-toshiyori status. Nikkan is also reporting that Hakuho has attained Japanese citizenship.

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201909030000101.html

• Like 1

Yep, I was reading that as his application being submitted, on a re-read it was obviously that it was accepted and he has obtained citizenship. D'oh (Thinkingindepth...).

Hakuho earns Japanese citizenship in step toward second career as stablemaster

Yokozuna Hakuho, the most decorated wrestler in sumo history with 42 basho titles, has successfully completed his application for Japanese citizenship, according to a Tuesday notice in the official government gazette.

The 34-year-old announced in June that he would renounce his Mongolian citizenship in order to naturalize in Japan, a requirement toward his ambition of becoming a stablemaster after he retires as a wrestler.

Hakuho is the third foreign yokozuna to earn Japanese citizenship following Akebono and Musashimaru (now known as Musashigawa stablemaster). Hakuho’s mentor Tomozuna stablemaster (former sekiwake Kyokutenho) also naturalized and Hakuho is the first Mongolian to do so at or above the rank of ozeki...

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2019/09/03/sumo/hakuho-earns-japanese-citizenship/

"I found out about it at around 8:30 this morning and I could hardly believe it was real," said Hakuho, a much-revered yokozuna (grand champion) in the traditional Japanese sport.

"It may be because it was soon after I woke up," the 34-year-old wrestler told reporters with a smile.

Hakuho, the son of a Mongolian wrestling champion and an Olympic wrestling silver medalist, came to Japan at age 15 to enter the sumo world. He was born Munkhbat Davaajargal.

"People around me may think I'm special but I wasn't special at all when I was 15. I became strong after completing practice after practice," he said. "I have single-heartedly pursued sumo for the past 18 years."

As Japan does not allow multiple nationalities for adults over 22, Hakuho needed to relinquish his Mongolian citizenship.

A wrestler does not need to hold Japanese nationality to compete in tournaments but only Japanese citizens can become a stablemaster after retirement.

But acquiring Japanese citizenship is relatively rare.

According to justice ministry data, about 1,000 foreign nationals annually have obtained a Japanese passport in recent years.

https://japantoday.com/category/sports/turning-japanese-sumo-champ-hakuho-gets-citizenship

Edited by Otokonoyama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Beyond the obvious of Hakuho wanting to go on to be a stable master;  is there any significance in his obtaining Japanese Citizenship prior to the 2020 Olympics?

Edited by Houmanumi

Hakuho's real name is now "Hakuho Sho", like his full shikona - he didn't opt to take on the name of his wife, I wonder what that means for the names of his kids.

201909030000295-w200_0.jpgo 201909030000295-w200_1.jpgo

201909030000586-w200_1.jpgo b_12667372.jpgo4.jpgo 20190903s00005000178000p_thum.jpgo 4.jpgo 20190904-OYT1I50006-1.jpg?type=mediumo sty1909030012-g1.jpgo 20190903s00005000475000p_thum.jpgo   201909030000307-w200_0.jpgo AS20190903001434_commL.jpgo spo1909030020-n1.jpgo20190903at21S_t.jpgo 201909030000586-w200_2.jpgo  AS20190903002409_commL.jpgo sum19090312520006-m1.jpgo

K10012061231_1909031333_1909031340_02_01.jpgvid

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Akinomaki said:

Hakuho's real name is now "Hakuho Sho", like his full shikona - he didn't opt to take on the name of his wife, I wonder what that means for the names of his kids.

Interesting question indeed ! I only have basic notions of japanese civil law but from what I know, according to article 750 of the japanese civil code the spouses are to take only one name  (they can pick either name but 98% of the time the husband's name is picked). I also know that when it's an international marriage the article doesn't apply as the spouses can either pick one name or keep separate names (Hakuho and his wife likely chosed that last option when they got married ), but with Hakuho now becoming a japanese citizen surely they cannot keep separate names anymore and article 750 applies. I'll try to do more research to confirm it because it's very rare situation but if my reasoning is correct, Hakuho not taking his wife's name would mean that not only his children but also is wife all changed their names to Hakuho.

EDIT : I looked a bit and found this which seems to confirm my reasoning, I knew all those painful years in law school were not for nothing aha ! "帰化申請の場合、帰化後の氏名は自由に決めることはできるが、戸籍謄本をつくる時に、夫婦別姓は現在のところ認められていない。帰化すれば、日本国籍を取得するので、民法750条と戸籍法の届出制度で、夫または妻の氏を称することになる"

Edited by Rainoyama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

(Me after watching Roger Federer losing in US Open QF)

IMO, both Hakuho and Federer are looking on the same final showdown: Tokyo 2020 Olympics. They play their best (for fun, maybe?) till their final showdown

If NSK reject Hakuho’s ichidai toshiyori, is it possible that Hakuho will be Hakuho-oyakata for some years, then when current Miyagino-oyakata reaches 65, Hakuho Sho will become new Miyagino-oyakata?

Edited by code_number3
  • Thanks 1

At this point, I can't imagine the NSK NOT making Hakuho an ichidai-toshiyori. Aside from his brushes with the NSK in the past, I don't see them as anything warranting that he wouldn't get it. And they could use an ichidai-toshiyori and strong past yokozuna in their midst.

The NSK top emphasizes that Hakuho should behave (or they might abolish the ichdai toshiyori system and there will be no Hakuho-beya).

No. 2 Oguruma: As the present (active) no.1, those around him aim to be like him. I want him to present himself as a role model.

PR top Shibatayama: I want him to be careful with egocentric actions.

http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201909030000586.html

TV news headlines yesterday like "Hakuho on the way to oyakata" makes people who know something about sumo doubt that those news people also know something

News shows yesterday with detailed reports

LIVE Goody 1:50-2:12h

GogoSmile 2:19-2:35h

Nsta: 4:50-5:07h

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, code_number3 said:

.... then when current Miyagino-oyakata reaches 65, Hakuho Sho will become new Miyagino-oyakata?

This is what I am hoping he will do whether he is offered an ichiichidai-toshiyori or not.

Chiyonofuji was offered an ichiichidai-toshiyori but took the Kokonoe name instead. I think it was a wise move on his part. 

There is that possibility, although there are very few vacant kabu left. Hakuho would have to borrow one and then he and current Miyagino would have to switch. With the recent retirements, only Endo has his not occupied. Yamashina is owned by Onishiki but he appears to be out of the kyokai having retired.

1 hour ago, WAKATAKE said:

There is that possibility, although there are very few vacant kabu left. Hakuho would have to borrow one and then he and current Miyagino would have to switch. With the recent retirements, only Endo has his not occupied. Yamashina is owned by Onishiki but he appears to be out of the kyokai having retired.

A retired yokozuna can stay in the kyokai for 5 years without a kabu as "short-time ichidai toshiyori" - ozeki 3 years

2 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

There is that possibility, although there are very few vacant kabu left. Hakuho would have to borrow one and then he and current Miyagino would have to switch.

In addition to what Akinomaki already said, it would also be highly unusual to be borrowing a kabu and then switch it with somebody else's permanent one leaving that guy on a borrowed share. 

I wouldn't be floored if Hakuhou decided to leave the sumo world altogether upon retirement. I think the main reason he wanted  the citizenship was because he wanted to do the dohyo-iri in 2020 as a Japanese Yokozuna, creating a nationwide consensus. I'm not even sure that a dohyo-iri is planned at this time in the opening ceremony . This could seal the deal and make a better case for it to be included. Unless it's already a done deal, in which case it's Thursday. In any case, it is very important for Hakuhou to be there - he wants to  honor the memory of his father, silver medalist in wrestling in 1968.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1

On 03/09/2019 at 17:19, Akinomaki said:

One detail to consider is the koseki tohon - family registry. If uses his own family registry listing him as head of household, they have to take his name. If he rather opted to be listed on his wife's koseki (and dissolving his own as is required) with her as head of household, then the kids get to use (or keep) her family name. In that case, he could register an alias, maybe something like Hakuho Sho, so that he could continue to legally use his shikona on his ID.

Edited by Otokonoyama
  • Thanks 1