Kintamayama

Trump coming to the basho

Recommended Posts

still hoping that dear leader Kim will do a surprise visit and drumpf will cancel
or is suffering unexpected impeachment :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he is there I hope he gets booed the whole time even more than what they did to Oonomatsu the other day. We want to watch sumo not a clown and his circus show.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Rainoyama said:

If he is there I hope he gets booed the whole time even more than what they did to Oonomatsu the other day. We want to watch sumo not a clown and his circus show.

This is Japan, not the West. They don't boo foreign leaders and they would rather die than mistreat a guest. If you hear any booing, which i doubt, it will be from foreigners attending. Immediately after they do it  all the Japanese surrounding them will shush and shake their heads.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rocks said:

This is Japan, not the West. They don't boo foreign leaders and they would rather die than mistreat a guest. If you hear any booing, which i doubt, it will be from foreigners attending. Immediately after they do it  all the Japanese surrounding them will shush and shake their heads.

That's very true, I was just dreaming. As long as it's on tv and they don't film him every 2 seconds instead of filming the dohyo I'll be happy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The moderating staff want to remind all of you again that the first principle of criticism is to lead by example.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I just told the Syrian refugees living in my neighbourhood in decrepit housing about the hullabaloo this Trump person is causing at the honbasho and they seem a bit miffed about the office of the American president. They said that this goes against the principles of solidarity his country has operated under. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Rocks said:

This is Japan, not the West. They don't boo foreign leaders and they would rather die than mistreat a guest. If you hear any booing, which i doubt, it will be from foreigners attending. Immediately after they do it  all the Japanese surrounding them will shush and shake their heads.

Except the black vans of the far right, of course. I was in Kyoto on a day the South Korean president visited and the nationalists were playing a game of cat-and-mouse with the motorcade, broadcasting anti-Korean, pro-Japanese propaganda at it. The police kept them at a distance but oddly they always seemed to know where the car was going to turn up next and be there ready. It’s like they had inside information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Except the black vans of the far right, of course. I was in Kyoto on a day the South Korean president visited and the nationalists were playing a game of cat-and-mouse with the motorcade, broadcasting anti-Korean, pro-Japanese propaganda at it. The police kept them at a distance but oddly they always seemed to know where the car was going to turn up next and be there ready. It’s like they had inside information.

A whole other kettle of fish as they say. But that was on the street, where the critics could retreat and disappear easily. Far different than seated at an event with no means of running away and avoiding being identified. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am playing football on Sunday so will miss the bouts. However I am absolutely certain a shedload of Western attendees will be chucking their cushions at Trump whether Kakuryu wins or not. Almost no Japanese fans would even consider such an idea.

I am not endorsing it. But I do expect it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rocks said:

oddly they always seemed to know where the car was going to turn up next and be there ready. It’s like they had inside information.

U.S. dignitary motorcade routes are classified information. "inside information" would mean a security breach leading to instant dismissal and legal action. "Outside information" could be enough to reconstruct possible routes from noticeable SS periphery checks and other unusual behaviour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Pandaazuma said:

I am playing football on Sunday so will miss the bouts. However I am absolutely certain a shedload of Western attendees will be chucking their cushions at Trump whether Kakuryu wins or not. Almost no Japanese fans would even consider such an idea.

I am not endorsing it. But I do expect it.

They better practice then. It will be hard flinging those cushions up into the royal box. I could be wrong about where he's going to sit but I doubt it. I don't trust media reports because since Kennedy was shot the second rule is few get to know EXACTLY where a President will sit or stand outside of a podium to speak prior to his arrival. Any release of accurate information to the media about that would get a swift investigation as to how they found it out. 

But I do know the first rule of Presidential security for the past 154 years is the President never sits somewhere where he can be approached from behind easily by the general public. Call it the Booth Rule. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A: "Maybe someone will hit Drumpf with a zabuton, hyuk, hyuk."

also A: "Man, why do they need to waste so many resources on security?"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

A: "Maybe someone will hit Drumpf with a zabuton, hyuk, hyuk."

also A: "Man, why do they need to waste so many resources on security?"

When they could instead politely inform Trump that he will have to sit in the Emperor's box.

 

Please stop inserting sumo into this political discussion.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trump is arriving at his locations on Marine One - I don't know where there is space to land such a big helicopter near the kokugikan and they will surely not disclose it.

25 000 persons will be involved in security from the Japanese police, up to 18 000 in Tokyo http://www.sanspo.com/geino/news/20190523/pol19052316290010-n1.html

- so the 1000 or so empty places could easily be filled

The police will also be in uniform - very unusual for the kokugikan - to show they are at guard for sudden trouble. Vigilance by the police is necessary not just for front-behind and left-right but also from above. After the end of the torikumi on day 14 they will thoroughly search the kokugikan for hazardous material, on the day there will be body checks with metal detectors and hand baggage search. And they hasten to collect the identity data of all people sitting in the surroundings. http://www.sankei.com/affairs/news/190523/afr1905230034-n1.html

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Abe administration is keen to woo Trump and have a close relationship with the American leadership. To that end they are pulling out all the stops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Trump is arriving at his locations on Marine One - I don't know where there is space to land such a big helicopter near the kokugikan and they will surely not disclose it.

25 000 persons will be involved in security from the Japanese police, up to 18 000 in Tokyo http://www.sanspo.com/geino/news/20190523/pol19052316290010-n1.html

- so the 1000 or so empty places could easily be filled

The police will also be in uniform - very unusual for the kokugikan - to show they are at guard for sudden trouble. Vigilance by the police is necessary not just for front-behind and left-right but also from above. After the end of the torikumi on day 14 they will thoroughly search the kokugikan for hazardous material, on the day there will be body checks with metal detectors and hand baggage search. And they hasten to collect the identity data of all people sitting in the surroundings. http://www.sankei.com/affairs/news/190523/afr1905230034-n1.html

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just some news about Trump’s visit to Japan from my national newspaper. The article is in Indonesian, here is the rough translation. The real article is attached hehe

Quote

US President Donald Trump is scheduled to arrive in Japan on Saturday May 25th alongside his entourage. Across Saturday and Sunday, Trump will attend private events, such as playing golf and watching golf tournament. On Monday, he is scheduled to meet PM Abe to discuss various things.

0E85F026-8E5A-40AA-8DF0-9A004F6449F1.jpeg.408b9257e4c74726e718f3aa6fe1f1de.jpeg

Imaging Trump cancel his sumo visit to watch golf instead (Laughing...)

 

Edited by code_number3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thinking about whether I want to get up before the crack of dawn to see the senshuraku, and I realize the 72-year-old U.S. President will be golfing and sumo-watching with a 12-hour jet lag.  And politicians do this constantly, year after year after year.

I'm going to go take a nap now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

I'm thinking about whether I want to get up before the crack of dawn to see the senshuraku, and I realize the 72-year-old U.S. President will be golfing and sumo-watching with a 12-hour jet lag.  And politicians do this constantly, year after year after year.

I'm going to go take a nap now.

The ardent fans started to line up yesterday evening - at around 8:30p.m:

D7aCxs4U8AEf05P.jpg:thumbo

Asahi shimbun comment video with the complete scenario

meanwhile I'm wading though Trump pics since he arrived in the evening - no article that wouldn't mention sumo

It looks in the end of the Abema video like the NSK has started double vigilance around the dohyo with a enlarged oyakata squad after the end of day 14

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see from the thumbnail of that video a truly Japanese mangling of the president's name, "Toranpu".  Having heard Japanese announcers produce the purely Japonized version of foreign names, I have to wonder what the president's reaction to their pronunciation of his name is going to be.  His first name, if they use it, won't be much better either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can see where the prez will be sitting, the vending machines inoperative, and the metal detectors and bag search.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Trump trophy will have the (prefix not yet unified) name "( NHK : American) President Cup", no pic yet - about 27-31kg, 137cm high - Trump had it made in the US last month. http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/sumo/20190525-OYT1T50284/

Also serving chanko had stopped today - though that ends at 16h - the hall is close to the closed parking lot. No re-try into the kokugikan allowed after 15h (always allowed one time). http://www.nikkansports.com/general/nikkan/news/201905250001370.html

I guess the coin lockers at the kokugikan are also sealed - and the people in seats around the dohyo have nearly no space to put a bigger bag.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.