Kintamayama

Trump coming to the basho

CNN early morning news has just reported that while in Japan next month, Trump is "looking forward to catching a wrestling match."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Jejima said:

CNN early morning news has just reported that while in Japan next month, Trump is "looking forward to catching a wrestling match."

should be mma....ozumo is save! (Sigh...)

6 hours ago, Jejima said:

Well Japan is a hotbed for pro wrestling and we already know Trump loves WWE, so ... hopefully ...

Posted (edited)
On 15/04/2019 at 07:52, Akinomaki said:

I'm hoping for a failure to get all the tickets they want to have maximum security, have him sit somewhere else (or stay away) and the mass of tickets they got goes into the resale I'm subscribed to.

Looks good for my plan - I'll be checking the resale each day till day 15: Trump told Abe his strong wish to watch in a masuseki box, but the Japanese side thinks the security problems are big - latest news say it's very likely he'll watch in the royal box on the upper floor. TV Tokyo news video: https://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/mv/txn/news_txn/post_176439/

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Looks good for my plan - I'll be checking the resale each day till day 15: Trump told Abe his strong wish to watch in a masuseki box, but the Japanese side thinks the security problems are big - latest news say it's very likely he'll watch in the royal box on the upper floor. TV Tokyo news video: https://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/mv/txn/news_txn/post_176439/

I just assumed that report was inaccurate from the start and that Trump would be sitting in the Royal Box. If he insisted on sitting anywhere it would be there. He probably asked for "front, row box seats" thinking of a normal western style arena. Once aware he'd be sitting on the floor the "royal" box would have been much more appealing. It looks like there is also an American Trophy to give the winner and it's being made which makes me think giving one of the traditional ones with Abe was never in the cards. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6965365/People-throw-seat-cushions-Trump-plans-watch-sumo-wrestling-match-visit-Japan.html

This does make me wonder about Hakuho though. before this I was 99% sure he would be out. But with it being the first basho of a new era and a big brand new American Trophy added he may want badly to be the first to win it. 

2 hours ago, Rocks said:

I just assumed that report was inaccurate from the start and that Trump would be sitting in the Royal Box. If he insisted on sitting anywhere it would be there. He probably asked for "front, row box seats" thinking of a normal western style arena. Once aware he'd be sitting on the floor the "royal" box would have been much more appealing. It looks like there is also an American Trophy to give the winner and it's being made which makes me think giving one of the traditional ones with Abe was never in the cards. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6965365/People-throw-seat-cushions-Trump-plans-watch-sumo-wrestling-match-visit-Japan.html

This does make me wonder about Hakuho though. before this I was 99% sure he would be out. But with it being the first basho of a new era and a big brand new American Trophy added he may want badly to be the first to win it. 

It also occurred to me that he would not want to miss the first tournament of the Reiwa era

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Rocks said:

Hakuho's arm is not fully healed. He has done no serious training, If he entered the Natsu basho, the chances of his winning the yusho, no matter how great he is, would be zero. In addition, if he undergoes further injury to the arm and that injury is severe like Kisenosato's, there could be no more yushos, no dohyo-iri at the Olympics, and no more active sumo career.

Winning the first basho in the new era and being presented the Emperor's Cup by the president of the Unied States would be very nice. But neither of those things will happen because competing before he's completely ready to would be way to risky for Hakuho's health. He and his oyakta are fully aware of that fact and because they are, he will be kyujo. I'm not just 99% sure  of it. I'm 100% sure. 

If by some miracle, he does decide to compete, there will be no way to quote this post showing that I was completely wrong. That's because I will delete it before anyone can reply.. :-)

Edited by sekitori
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sekitori said:

Hakuho's arm is not fully healed. He has done no serious training, If he entered the Natsu basho, the chances of his winning the yusho, no matter how great he is, would be zero. In addition, if he undergoes further injury to the arm and that injury is severe like Kisenosato's, there could be no more yushos, no dohyo-iri at the Olympics, and no more active sumo career.

Winning the first basho in the new era and being presented the Emperor's Cup by the president of the Unied States would be very nice. But neither of those things will happen because competing before he's completely ready to would be way to risky for Hakuho's health. He and his oyakta are fully aware of that fact and because they are, he will be kyujo. I'm not just 99% sure  of it. I'm 100% sure. 

If by some miracle, he does decide to compete, there will be no way to quote this post because I will immediately delete it. :-)

I hope you’re right. For many reasons. Including the Fantasy Sumo pool I’m in.

I have a feeling that Trump attending the basho, and perhaps giving a trophy on the dohyo, will be big news in the US (it will surely be featured - even if briefly - on the Sunday cable shows?) - and possibly in other countries, and could easily end up on news stations and in newspapers worldwide.

This might bring about a new wave of interest in sumo among people outside of Japan. A good thing?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jejima said:

I have a feeling that Trump attending the basho, and perhaps giving a trophy on the dohyo, will be big news in the US (it will surely be featured - even if briefly - on the Sunday cable shows?) - and possibly in other countries, and could easily end up on news stations and in newspapers worldwide.

This might bring about a new wave of interest in sumo among people outside of Japan. A good thing?

All I see is probably fake news CNN reporting that Trump inserted himself into another country's sport for the attention, grossly misrepresented and more than likely not saying that it was the Abe administration that actually invited him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jejima said:

In the US, at least, the country is very divided. If Trump likes sumo, his supporters might be interested, and his opponents will not be interested.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sekitori said:

He has done no serious training, If he entered the Natsu basho, the chances of his winning the yusho, no matter how great he is, would be zero. In addition, if he undergoes further injury to the arm and that injury is severe like Kisenosato's, there could be no more yushos, no dohyo-iri at the Olympics, and no more active sumo career.

I don't think it would be a good decision either. 

4 hours ago, Jejima said:

As they say, there is no such thing as bad publicity. I think on balance it would help sumo. I think it will get wide, if brief,  coverage too. Being sumo it allows the sports channels to get in on the act, even if only to criticize Trump. A US President standing around with mostly naked guys makes for great pictures. 

I anticipate a sea change in the nosebleed section if all this comes to pass. The cheap seats in the Kokugikan will be overflowing  with Americans who know nothing about Sumo but love to talk about it instead of Australians who know nothing about Sumo but love to talk about it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 12/04/2019 at 02:52, Nantonoyama said:

{deleted}

Does anyone know when was the last occurrence a foreign head of state stepped on the dohyo? (if it ever happened before).

I cannot imagine the state of mind of the security guys if a zabuton rain occurs though (Zabutonflying...)

I cannot recall a head of state, perhaps some CEO presenting a new trophy/prize.  I do fondly recall Paul McCartney and his wife sitting on masu-seki at the Fukuoka basho in the 90s.

On 11/04/2019 at 23:51, Kintamayama said:

Donald Trump will be visiting Japan in the second half of May (26-28) and is planning to visit the basho. He intends to hand out a Cup to the winner, a rare occurrence involving a foreign head of state, and there is also a possibility that he will mount the dohyo together with Prime  Minister Abe ...{deleted}

it would be cool if Alec Baldwin get there ahead of Trump and present the yusho trophy on his behalf.

https://youtu.be/8vQlhWBvAwY

• Haha 1

Someone needs to start the twin thread "Kintamayama coming to the basho" :)

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

On 30/04/2019 at 18:33, Ichimawashi said:

Someone needs to start the twin thread "Kintamayama coming to the basho" :)

That would be pretty cool if we happen to catch a view his distinguished mug in the crowd.

Only there are no videos to watch.... (Weeping...)

Posted (edited)

Trump may only arrive for the sanyaku soroibumi and watch the last 3 bouts. His cup might really be the "Trump Cup", rather like with Chirac the "US President Cup". The NSK is working on security to have him watch from a masu seat box like he desires. http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20190512/sum19051221360017-n1.html

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Trump may only arrive for the sanyaku soroibumi and watch the last 3 bouts. His cup might really be the "Trump Cup", rather like with Chirac the "US President Cup". The NSK is working on security to have him watch from a masu seat box like he desires. http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20190512/sum19051221360017-n1.html

This is the result of the offer of google to translate the Japanese article....

Trump's awarding award at the summer place?

The US President Trump came to Japan later this month, and the Grand Sumo Summertime Place Chiguraku (Ryoku Kokugikan) is scheduled to be held on the 26th, so the president newly establishes an award for the Makuuchi champion and will be on the ground On the 12th, it was found in the talk of Japanese sumo wrestlers that they are adjusting in the direction of direct awarding. It was also revealed that the possibility of Trump's watching at the end of the curtain at the end of the curtain was rising.

The award ceremony will be held after the end of all efforts, and the name of the award is being considered, such as "Trump cup". Trump said in April that "I have found it interesting. I will give a trophy to the winner."

The last 3rd place in the curtain of Senshuku is called "3 roles from this", and the efforts of Yokozuna and Ozeki are centered. Assuming that Mr. Trump will be watching the game at a dining table near the temple, the Sumo Association will prepare for security and other aspects.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, Jejima said:

This is the result of the offer of google to translate the Japanese article....

Trump's awarding award at the summer place?

The US President Trump came to Japan later this month, and the Grand Sumo Summertime Place Chiguraku (Ryoku Kokugikan) is scheduled to be held on the 26th, so the president newly establishes an award for the Makuuchi champion and will be on the ground On the 12th, it was found in the talk of Japanese sumo wrestlers that they are adjusting in the direction of direct awarding. It was also revealed that the possibility of Trump's watching at the end of the curtain at the end of the curtain was rising.

The award ceremony will be held after the end of all efforts, and the name of the award is being considered, such as "Trump cup". Trump said in April that "I have found it interesting. I will give a trophy to the winner."

The last 3rd place in the curtain of Senshuku is called "3 roles from this", and the efforts of Yokozuna and Ozeki are centered. Assuming that Mr. Trump will be watching the game at a dining table near the temple, the Sumo Association will prepare for security and other aspects.

Well, that answers all of my questions ...

Has anyone told Trump that the prize is not about the trophy, but something else? What would that something else be in Trump's case, I wonder.

Didn't vote for him, so don't have a dog in this hunt.  I imagine he'll give the trophy over, no speechifying (not the way it's done -- any veering from tradition would TBF be on Abe's head).  There isn't any precedent for U.S. Presidents doing this, so who knows what will happen.  Interesting to imagine Obama doing this; face it, Clinton would be chatting up the "Geisha chicks".  Strangely, I think George W. would probably appreciate the sport and tradition more than the others.