Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Trump coming to the basho

22 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

A Trump cup with a big mac perhaps?

<alecbaldwinsvoice> It will be huuuuuuge. Enormous. It will be the best cup ever. And it will be beautiful. So beautiful, looking at it will make you cry. </alecbaldwinsvoice>

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

hi, Chirac was known here (in France) to be a famous fan of Sumo, but also a fine connoisseur of japan culture. He inspired curiosity for sumo.

The "musée du quai Branly" would carry (definitevely) his name at his dead (alzheimer actually). www.quaibranly.fr

He was a scoundrel too, but very sympatical one, nobody's perfect...

• Thanks 2

Hakuho on his impression of Trump: "I don't get it. Because he's a person on TV." But about the event: "Much appreciated. Because I don't know if it happens or nor, I want to gambarize."

Kakuryu: "At the first Reiwa basho a terrific thing. Surely all would put extra fighting spirit into it."

http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201904120000796.html

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Trump wants to sit in a shomen masu seat box somewhere in row 1-3, not on a tamari-seki at the ringside - the security side is  acquiring all adjacent boxes. And they are also occupying several seats along the way Trump will enter (the mainly 1 person corner masu seats). The NSK has started to work on intensified security since March.

The NSK about Trump handing over the prime minister's cup together with Abe (one scenario): "Difficult."" (usually the word to express denial, but here they'd have to obey)

http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201904120000405.html

The NSK has taken extraordinary measures: the people who bought masu seat boxes in the respective area have to report the names etc. of those who will watch on senshuraku. Some of the sunakaburi seats near the dohyo haven't been put on sale. http://mainichi.jp/articles/20190412/k00/00m/050/243000c

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Katooshu said:

I wonder what Kinta's video comment section will look like that day (Laughing...) 

Probably none, since most probably I won't be doing the videos.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 8

hummm...So...Trump.

Well...let me try express my feelings about this in the nicest way i can...I hope Chiyomaru mistakes him with a giant fat carrot and eat that f* orange-turd up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 12/04/2019 at 07:53, RabidJohn said:

I will not pointlessly deprive myself of the pleasure of watching sumo, no matter who happens to be attending.

Wow, you are pretty tough, would you be my hero?

Posted (edited)

Trump may present trophy at Tokyo sumo tournament as officials weigh security concerns

Japan and the United States are considering a plan for U.S. President Donald Trump to present a trophy to the winner of the Summer Grand Sumo Tournament in Tokyo in May, Japanese government sources have said.

Trump is scheduled to visit Japan as a state guest for three days starting on May 26, which coincides with the final day of the 15-day Summer Basho at the Ryogoku Kokugikan.

Under the plan, Trump and Prime Minister Shinzo Abe would enter the sumo ring together after watching the matches. Trump would then present the 40-kilogram Prime Minister’s Cup or another special trophy to the winner...

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/04/13/national/politics-diplomacy/trump-may-present-trophy-tokyo-sumo-tournament-officials-weigh-security-concerns/

That title is YUUUUGE!

Edited by Otokonoyama
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Old Shatterhand is dead said:

Wow, you are pretty tough, would you be my hero?

WTF? How off-topic is that?

In answer: no, I'm genuinely not, and no, I won't.

---

Can't tell if I'm joking or not? No, I can't with your post either. That's the problem with not sticking an emoticon* on a post like this. Here's a bit of a clue about mine: ;-)

*Call me old fashioned, but they were emoticons long before they were emojis.

---

Soz, mods. Feel free to delete this unrelated tangent. I shall confine my noob-bashing to Apex Legends...

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Umizoi said:

hi, Chirac was known here (in France) to be a famous fan of Sumo, but also a fine connoisseur of japan culture. He inspired curiosity for sumo

Jacques Chirac and his wife... Nagoya 2000, day 11

Very popular

The Chirac cup... With a giant golden macaron ! 

ec9fa3f_15451-6rmcxk.jpg

Chirac, Mayor of Paris in the eighties with Chiyonofuji at the Paris Hôtel de ville

image008.jpg

Osaka 2005... With "Le Petit Banzuke Illustré" : late Sumo online magazine (with "Le Monde du Sumo) 

Edited by Kaiomitsuki
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Kaiomitsuki said:

The Chirac cup... With a giant golden macaron !  

The French president cup was never with macaron - that above was already the Japan-France friendship cup that replaced it - the cup by Chirac was this

l.jpg

Jiji

s.jpg s.jpg s.jpg s.jpg s.jpg s.jpg s.jpg s.jpg s.jpg s.jpg s.jpg s.jpg s.jpg s.jpg s.jpg s.jpg s.jpg s.jpg s.jpg s.jpg s.jpg s.jpg

Kyodo

113992738.jpgo 113992713.jpgo 82366856.jpgo 6617043.jpgo 6616711.jpgo 25717063.jpgo 25309595.jpgo 24950835.jpgo 24950793.jpgo 24950791.jpgo 24826476.jpgo 72218367.jpgo 24786043.jpgo 24786039.jpgo 24785854.jpgo 24737649.jpgo 24737648.jpgo 24737404.jpgo 24737403.jpgo 24737402.jpgo 24737400.jpgo 24737399.jpgo 24737396.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I really looking forward for the tweets from @realdonaldtrump that he could easily beat Hakuho on a daily basis in five out of five bouts, because he won all wrestling tournaments in high school. But unfortunately because of a minor [shoulder/hip/foot/whatever] injury he cannot prove this in may. But next time he visit Japan he will do so. Trust him, because he is the best president of all times!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

What I don't understand is why women who tried to help a sick person are not allowed on the dohyo because it's considered to be sacred ground. Yet a person who is doing his best to destroy the earth's environment apparently will be. Very strange.

Edited by sekitori
  • Like 3

On 13/04/2019 at 03:50, Akinomaki said:

Trump wants to sit in a shomen masu seat box somewhere in row 1-3, not on a tamari-seki at the ringside - the security side is  acquiring all adjacent boxes. And they are also occupying several seats along the way Trump will enter (the mainly 1 person corner masu seats). The NSK has started to work on intensified security since March.

The NSK about Trump handing over the prime minister's cup together with Abe (one scenario): "Difficult."" (usually the word to express denial, but here they'd have to obey)

http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201904120000405.html

The NSK has taken extraordinary measures: the people who bought masu seat boxes in the respective area have to report the names etc. of those who will watch on senshuraku. Some of the sunakaburi seats near the dohyo haven't been put on sale. http://mainichi.jp/articles/20190412/k00/00m/050/243000c

Security, security, security.

These are the annoyances of foreign heads, I just wish that they would all sit in the booth like the royal family. 

Probably impacted your senshuraku ticket options as well, @Akinomaki.

I hope someone tells him of the rule about not gripping the mae-tatemitsu. We all know his predilection for grabbing at the groin area. 

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, rhyen said:

Probably impacted your senshuraku ticket options as well, @Akinomaki.

I'm sure that was one main reason I couldn't get the day 15 ticket I selected 5 times - and then it was gone when I had the login completed.

But I'm hoping for a failure to get all the tickets they want to have maximum security, have him sit somewhere else (or stay away) and the mass of tickets they got goes into the resale I'm subscribed to.

Edited by Akinomaki

8 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

I'm sure that was one main reason I couldn't get the day 15 ticket I selected 5 times - and then it was gone when I had the login completed.

But I'm hoping for a failure to get all the tickets they want to have maximum security, have him sit somewhere else (or stay away) and the mass of tickets they got goes into the resale I'm subscribed to.

not going to happened. I believe that they are very thorough about this.

There seems to be some machination behind the scenes as far as the Japanese government is concerned. It's too soon to know what will become of it, but things are very much up in air currently.

4 hours ago, Otokonoyama said:

This article suggests it's the Abe administration that has pushed for Trump at sumo, among other things.

That figures.   If it were a left leaning administration, I wouldn't think Trump will be invited.   Birds of a feather flock together so to speak.  

2 hours ago, robnplunder said:

That figures.   If it were a left leaning administration, I wouldn't think Trump will be invited.   Birds of a feather flock together so to speak.  

Every President since Ike has been to Japan, usually at least once per term to attend the G7(8) summits.  And almost always meet with the Emperor and PM.  Since Japan is an important ally, it's always good to meet.

G.W. Bush met three times with Koizumi; Obama with Hatoyama, Kan and Abe (can't remember if he visited his "hometown" of Obama).  Trump with Abe already. 

George W. visited Mongolia in 2005; wonder if he met Hakuho's Dad?

Since the US Prez spends all that time getting to and from other countries, they always come up with photo ops doing "cultural things" to pass the time.  Some profound, some silly.