Kintamayama

Trump coming to the basho

4 minutes ago, Otokonoyama said:

Yes, and they are also similar in color to the tabi, making them hard to notice sometimes.

As Akinomaki stated, they wear slippers, whether it's Trump, Abe-sori, the Tamari-kai guys, or various ambassadors and other big wigs.

I thought so.  I am trying to make sense out of the hoo-haa about Trump wearing slippers.

28 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

It is forbidden to bring food and drinks into the kokugikan - nobody usually cares, but this time they brought airport-like equipment to check persons and baggage at the entrance - usually you never wait at the entrance when you pass with your ticket, this time a 500m queue and with the checks it took up to 90min. to get in

20190526-OHT1I50139-N.jpgo AS20190526001393_commL.jpgo  s.jpg

No tea pots, no beer bottles (no chanko) - and the drink vending machines were all kyujo

sty1905260005-g3.jpgo

drinks were only available at the food shops - which had long queues as well

With all this, the usual day at the kokugikan is no fun - in the end I'm glad I got no ticket and didn't have to experience that live - just the right thing to watch on TV

Sounds awful. I’d feel bad if I was President and people had to endure and sacrifice so much just for me. But I guess anyone who wants to be President must have a certain sense of self-importance to even run for office, so I doubt they even notice.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Asojima said:

I thought so.  I am trying to make sense out of the hoo-haa about Trump wearing slippers.

The press making hay with a small detail. He needed custom (or not commonly stocked) slippers as he has the usual large gaijin feet. I suspect in the sumo world a lot of guys have big feet. Shouldn't be that hard to get big slippers. So they were black instead of the usual brown/grey. So, as in so what.

Edited by Otokonoyama

2 minutes ago, Asojima said:

Oh, that’s easy. The people moaning don’t know a thing about sumo.

6 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Oh, that’s easy. The people moaning don’t know a thing about sumo.

There were news reports all over the Japanese media just for the slippers: just like me, they overlooked that all guests wear slippers on the dohyo - Otokonoyama had pointed that out already earlier in this thread.

The new generation of black, bigger and hard to spot slippers definitely was worth a mention - but including a mention of those used for ages.

Maybe inspired by this, the very popular Chiko-chan ni shikareru "Don't sleep through life" show checked what the people know about the origin of slippers: hardly anybody knew that slippers were introduced (they even claimed invented) in Japan to allow the foreigners enter Japanese rooms with their shoes on:  maybe the last place to keep this original tradition is on the dohyo - sumo again as preserver of cultural heritage

• Like 2

Just saw our friend, John Gunning, featured on CNN's coverage of Donald Trump's visit to the Kokugikan ("Sumo Diplomacy").  Nice to see him get the credit he deserves.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Amamaniac said:

Just saw our friend, John Gunning, featured on CNN's coverage of Donald Trump's visit to the Kokugikan ("Sumo Diplomacy").  Nice to see him get the credit he deserves.

CNN only report fake news apparently, therefore Trump didn’t visit the Kokugikan and in fact John Gunning isn’t even real.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I asked it before, now I'm asking it again: is the prize Trump presented just the trophy and a change to shake hands with the POTUS, or is there something else attached, like money or a quantity of a product? Expressing the hope that the prize will be awarded in the future suggests the latter and that the huge trophy is destined for the trophy case at the Kokikugan. What does the tournament winner get, exactly?

Edited by orandashoho

5 minutes ago, orandashoho said:

What does the tournament winner get, exactly?

A year's supply of Big Mac's??

1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

CNN only report fake news apparently, therefore Trump didn’t visit the Kokugikan and in fact John Gunning isn’t even real.

I won't dispute your first claim, but I dare you to make the latter one face to face with John.  LOL

2 minutes ago, Asojima said:

A year's supply of Big Mac's??

If that were true, you'd start seeing Top Division wrestlers taking shivs into the ring. ;-)

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

I won't dispute your first claim, but I dare you to make the latter one face to face with John.  LOL

How can I if he doesn’t exist? :-P

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, orandashoho said:

I asked it before, now I'm asking it again: is the prize Trump presented just the trophy and a change to shake hands with the POTUS, or is there something else attached, like money or a quantity of a product? Expressing the hope that the prize will be awarded in the future suggests the latter and that the huge trophy is destined for the trophy case at the Kokikugan. What does the tournament winner get, exactly?

It's too bad that the media is filled with stories about this, but they're basically all the same one they picked up off the wire service.  None of them will have any substantive information about the nature of the award other than being a large hunk of metal.  Is each winner's name going to go on it, and would it be in Romaji since it's a US prize?  I hope John will be able to write something in English about stuff like this.  I understand, but can't recall where I read it, that it will be given every Natsu basho now, but I don't anticipate the POTUS making a trip to Japan every year to present it and instead will have some diplomatic staff do it most of the time.

On 26/05/2019 at 19:59, Washuyama said:

As with most arguments involving politics/religion: opinions are like butt holes-everyone has one and they all stink.

Everyone has one and mine is demonstrably the superior one**

• Thanks 1

Overal I think it is safe to say Trump's visit turn out to be a success.

He didn't do anything disrespectufully and had a professional behaviour. Only thing I could point out is that he could have tried to read some words in japanese, like thank you or hello. Yes, there were minor changes due to Security and the delaying in the last 5 matches starting, although the same happens when the Emperor shows up (not trying to put both at the same level. Of course the Emperor is more important for japanese people).

All the publicity that it brought to Sumo all over the world is great for the sport. First time I see a Sumo related story on a mainstream portuguese newspaper, although the jornalist had no clue what he was writting about, and the same happen in many other countries. Although the journalists stories are in general very poor due to the fact they have no knowledge of the sport, believe that is enough for having some readers trying to find out a bit more about the sport and maybe became fans.

On a negative side, I have to say I wasn't happy at all reading the comments of some people on the forum regarding Trump,  which apart from insults even included death wishes. This is a forum with people all over the world, with different races, religions, ideologies, etc. If you want to discuss Politics, go somewhere else. There isn't a shortage of political forums out there.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

If that were true, you'd start seeing Top Division wrestlers taking shivs into the ring. ;-)

Advocating for taking weapons into the ring, you’re a real winner

3 hours ago, orandashoho said:

For most of the other trophies received by the yusho winner, there is a public announcement stating what is included with the prize (e.g., Carona beer with the Mexican trophy/plaque).  I went back and listened to the presentation of the President's Cup, and there were no specials detail given.  Perhaps that has yet to be worked out, or it will remain a trophy and nothing more...  (Still looking)

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 2

You, literally, can't spell "fascist".

Asojima's been recommending it for years, but I've only just made use of the 'ignore user' function for the first time...

Ok, I think we're done now.

Thread closed.

Edited by Jakusotsu
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 6