Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Trump coming to the basho

Donald Trump will be visiting Japan in the second half of May (26-28) and is planning to visit the basho. He intends to hand out a Cup to the winner, a rare occurrence involving a foreign head of state, and there is also a possibility that he will mount the dohyo together with Prime  Minister Abe for this, security considerations willing. As this will be the first basho in the new era, it would be a symbolic gesture that can boost Japano-American relationships, said people involved. The only question is will it be a new special prize, or will Trump be handing over the 40 kilo Emperor's Cup itself. Still, it's a huge security headache, as seats must be allotted to Abe's security police and Trump's secret service guys. Using the Emperor's reserved special seats is being considered as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 6

Posted (edited)

Are you 11 days late reporting this???  (Whistling...)

Edited by Asojima

I feel the urge to vomit aggressively. There is not enough salt to purify sumo itself from that.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I really wonder if Trump's attending the basho will help sumo or alienate some would be fans.   Regardless, I don't like politicians attending sports event to steal spotlight.   The spotlight should be on the players (in this case, rikishi).   For sure, I will skip watching the show on live on the day Trump is attending.   Instead, I will stick to Kintamayma san's video, provided that he does not show Trump's face anywhere in the video.  B-)

I will not pointlessly deprive myself of the pleasure of watching sumo, no matter who happens to be attending.

Posted (edited)

Wont be a big deal for me. It will be mildly interesting to see him there, but it's the sumo I care about and his presence will pretty much be an afterthought...nothing that stands out as particularly  good or bad. The thought of Trump in a mawashi is a bit more unsettling however...

I just want the basho to start :-(

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

ANN: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQY_TM7_9Ks

FNN (as Yahoo news video): http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/videonews/fnn?a=20190412-00416044-fnn-pol

(-> youtube-dl https://gw-yvpub.c.yimg.jp/v1/hls/DL2JOmiO2Gg0lXdy/video.m3u8)

Comments in Japan (on the Hiruobi wide show)

Hideki Yashiro wiki/八代英輝, lawyer both in Tokyo and NY:

"Getting interested in Japan's kokugi is a good thing", but "I hate to get shot by the security police while trying to throw a zabuton."

Shiraku Tatekawa wiki/立川志らく, rakugo story teller and all over the wide shows: "Extra excitement. Trump stepping onto the dohyo as an event is fun in itself"

Noriko_Mizoguchi, judoka, about a trophy from Trump: "Not a cup or the like. Trump should do a bout with the yusho rikishi once he's up there on the dohyo."

http://www.tokyo-sports.co.jp/entame/news/1351332/

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Having the POTUS (whoever he is) on the dohyo on day 15 of the new era's first basho is a quite clever political move for tightening the links between Japan and the US. The incumbent is quite controversial but it doesn't matter at the end of the day, all advertisement is good advertisement, and I think it should be treated as POTUS visiting the basho as it is not a private trip.

Does anyone know when was the last occurrence a foreign head of state stepped on the dohyo? (if it ever happened before).

I cannot imagine the state of mind of the security guys if a zabuton rain occurs though (Zabutonflying...)

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

This is not about politics. I don't care if he is democrat, or republican.

But he's a liar, a bully, behaves like a mobster, has ties to the mob (wasn't there something about not letting the yakuza in?), has no respect, no dignity. Making a fuzz because women entered the dohyo to save someones life, but then letting him even near the dohyo, that's preposterous.

I hope this all falters due to security reasons.

Edited by Benihana
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

When the Emperor attends, there is extra security (obviously), including metal detectors outside and bag searches. Can’t imagine how strict it would be if this were to come to pass. One of the most enjoyable things about attending the Kokugikan is how relaxed it all is. Hope it doesn’t happen.

Posted (edited)

I cannot wait to see Trump irrupting on the dohyo along with 6 FBI agents, loud music and everything, and try to start a feud with Hakuho before his bout like if it was pro wrestling only to have Hakuho punished by the YDC for making Trump fly away like a Kotoyuki and for performing uwatenage on all 6 of the FBI agents.

Edited by Rainoyama
  • Haha 2

Always good to remind subjects who've forgotten who SCAP really is.

1 hour ago, Benihana said:

This is not about politics. I don't care if he is democrat, or republican.

But he's a liar, a bully, behaves like a mobster, has ties to the mob (wasn't there something not letting the yakuza in), has no respect, no dignity. Making a fuzz because women entered the dohyo to save someones life, but then letting him even near the dohyo, that's preposterous.

I hope this all falters due to security reasons.

... and he will do his best to have all the attention on him, not the basho and/or rikishi.   Let ozumo be ozumo, not a showcase for a megalomaniac. 

• Like 2

I must have blanked this out completely last time round. When I saw this thread I didn't remember reading about it before but, when I looked at the old thread, I could immediately remember how quickly it descended into chaos.

1 hour ago, Naganoyama said:

I must have blanked this out completely last time round. When I saw this thread I didn't remember reading about it before but, when I looked at the old thread, I could immediately remember how quickly it descended into chaos.

You mean like WrestleMania XXIII?

7 hours ago, Asojima said:

That was exactly my first thought.

1 hour ago, since_94 said:

You mean like WrestleMania XXIII?

Possibly pretty similar...

My humble prediction is there will be a lot of hullabaloo, planning, money spent, gnashing of teeth, then in the end the visit will get cancelled for one reason or another.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Sorry, forgot about the original post from two months ago.. (ironing on). As opposed to when it was first reported, the papers today are full of  news regarding this trip, as it seems it has now been finalized. Apologies to those who were offended by having to read this again.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Asojima said:

Why?

4 hours ago, Jejima said:

That was exactly my first thought.

But why?

I wonder what Kinta's video comment section will look like that day (Laughing...) 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

President Chirac at the Kyusho basho 1996 - with the rikishi. Later in 2000 he had some the French president cup created, which he not handed over personally - it was discontinued, but now the France-Japan friendship cup with the big macaron is awarded instead. A Trump cup with a big mac perhaps?

96958A9F889DE6E1E4E5E0E7E1E2E3E0E2E6E0E2E3EB9793E1E2E2E2-DSXMZO4369741012042019000001-PN1-2.jpg o

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1