Atenzan

Hakuho Injures Arm Haru Basho 2019

re: Hakuhou's arm: Nikkan reports that he said that it hurt to throw Kakuryuu today and that "it hurts a little" - that was at the yusho interview. 

How that's translated into his actual injury status is unknown, but my wishful thinking says it's nothing as major as Kisenosato's. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Atenzan said:

re: Hakuhou's arm: Nikkan reports that he said that it hurt to throw Kakuryuu today and that "it hurts a little" - that was at the yusho interview. 

How that's translated into his actual injury status is unknown, but my wishful thinking says it's nothing as major as Kisenosato's. 

He paused for a long while before saying 'it hurts a little', and the words he used and the way he said it basically means it hurts a lot, he couldn't move the arm at all, couldn't lift the cup. Maybe it's not as serious as Kisenosato, but my take is he was truly in a lot of pain.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Hakuho holding the same location that kisenosato tore... ugh feels really bad.

On the bright side, it's been recently established that a yokozuna can take as much as 7 basho off while healing an arm injury, with occasional middling performances along the way. Olympics, here he comes! 

• Haha 6

14 minutes ago, Benevolance said:

On the bright side, it's been recently established that a yokozuna can take as much as 7 basho off while healing an arm injury, with occasional middling performances along the way. Olympics, here he comes! 

I agree! He clinched being around for the Olympics with the injury and the 15-0 record. With 42 tournament wins and 15 zensho, Hakuho should be in no hurry to step on the dohyo for a long time. (Onthebanzuke...)

Will surely be an unpopular opinion, but Hakuho was selling the “injury” too hard for me to believe it’s real. Just hamming it up in light of the reprimand he got after Hatsu.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Kyokufuji said:

Will surely be an unpopular opinion, but Hakuho was selling the “injury” too hard for me to believe it’s real. Just hamming it up in light of the reprimand he got after Hatsu.

Oh, probably.  I think his diving into the fans was also played up a bit.  He could have stopped in time.

It seems to me he's quite the showman, but then, that's what we all want.

Question about the French macaroon - is that thing actually edible?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

For those who have compared Hakuho's (yet unknown) injury to Kisenosato's, note that Hakuho was clutching the distal biceps area of his arm (which he's worn a sleeve on) and gingerly moving his elbow, whereas Kisenosato was wounded in the pec major and rotator cuff, which connect the humerus to the shoulder, and are more systemically vital.

Edited by neonbelly
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, neonbelly said:

For those who have compared Hakuho's (yet unknown) injury to Kisenosato's, note that Hakuho was clutching the distal biceps area of his arm (which he's worn a sleeve on) and gingerly moving his elbow, whereas Kisenosato was wounded in the pec major and rotator cuff, which connect the humerus to the shoulder, and are more systemically vital.

theres many levels of muscular distension...I was looking for the bruise when he was doing the hair thing after the final bout and i saw just a little one in his superior biceps area...very different than the huge one we saw on Kise's right after the bout against Haruma...We shal see...IMO a painful but regular distension....

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Kyokufuji said:

Well, it seems quite popular around here, since no one is addressing this. Why on earth does Hakuhou, of all people, need to ham anything up to a point where he is faking the fact that he can't pick up the Cup on his own? Really? Hakuhou can literally get away with anything. He doesn't need to fake an injury. I would like to know why he is doing this, in your opinion. Give me one plausible reason. To gain the fans' sympathy? These are athletes, it's their livelihood. The last thing they want to be seen as is weak. No, I'd really like to hear those of you who agree with this give me one good reason that a dai-yokozuna needs to play up an injury. If you've been watching sumo for a week, you know that if anything, all rikishi play down their injuries. Reprimand? What reprimand? Since when does Hakuhou give a hoot about anything? He was slapping and elbowing the whole basho, even though some farts in the YDC (not the Kyokai,. the YDC) said it was not Yokozuna sumo. There were times here that an utterance like this was met with fire and brimstone. I guess this forum is also undergoing a change of guard.  

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Well, it seems quite popular around here, since no one is addressing this. Why on earth does Hakuhou, of all people need to ham anything up to a point where he is faking the fact that he can't pick up the Cup on his own? Really? Hakuhou can literally get away with anything. He doesn't need to fake an injury. I would like to know why he is doing this, in your opinion. Give me one plausible reason. To gain the fans' sympathy? These are athletes, it's their livelihood. The last thing they want to be seen as is weak. No, I'd really like to hear those of you who agree with this give me one good reason that a dai-yokozuna needs to play up an injury. If you've been watching sumo for a week, you know that if anything, all rikishi play down their injuries. Reprimand? What reprimand? Since when does Hakuhou give a hoot about anything? He was slapping and elbowing the whole basho, even though some farts in the YDC (not the Kyokai,. the YDC) said it was not Yokozuna sumo. There were times here that an utterance like this was met with fire and brimstone. I guess this forum is also undergoing a change of guard.  

In defence of we the peanut gallery, I don't think the silence around the post in question is a tacit endorsement. Maybe people prefer to avoid dumb posts instead of "making a scene" and e-fighting.

On other forums I frequent I use bad words and insult people who say stupid things all the time, but I feel that the sumo forum is a nice place and I don't want to piss on the rug.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hakuhou says he  has a torn muscle. "It's torn. not good," said the conniving impostor. He was moaning out loud from the pain and could not bend his arm. It sounds serious to me, but he's probably exaggerating.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Hakuhou says he  has a torn muscle. "It's torn. not good," said the conniving impostor. He was moaning out loud from the pain and could not bend his arm. It sounds serious to me, but he's probably exaggerating.

Well if that´s the case he is facing a recovery around 3-4 months... So he is gonna sit 2 basho´s at least 

1 minute ago, Midoriyama said:

Well if that´s the case he is facing a recovery around 3-4 months... So he is gonna sit 2 basho´s at least 

Unless he's hamming it up, of course. Seriously though,  if it is seriously bad, I'd say at least three bashos.

2 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Unless he's hamming it up, of course. Seriously though,  if it is seriously bad, I'd say at least three bashos.

It´s definitely possible. He can take his time without anybody from YDC questioning his decision and abilities. He has earned it over the course of his career and IMO Kisenosato and his poorly managed injury is a warning for anybody facing similar situation (not that I am comparing the seriousness of those injuries, only the point about taking the time needed to heal) 

7 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Seriously though,  if it is seriously bad, I'd say at least three bashos.

Too bad no one told that to Kisenosato!!!  Wonder who is going to clean up if Hakuho does end up sitting 3 out.  Kakuryu fought some mighty good sumo on the Senshuraku, but he wasn't consistent, and ended the tournament with a barely-Ozeki-worthy 10-5.  Will Takayasu get his act together and win his first yusho this year?  Can't say I'm convinced that is going to happen.  That leaves the likes of Takakeisho and Ichinojo 2.0.  Still too early to count on Hakuho being MIA, but the undercurrent of uncertainty certainly breeds speculation.

36 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Well, it seems quite popular around here, since no one is addressing this. [...] I guess this forum is also undergoing a change of guard.  

Come on now, some of us are semi-pro pool players here. I was at, er, work. Sure. Didn't have time to properly get my shot in. But otherwise very well said. 

Now to get my shot in:

If any of you think that Hakuhou would ever bend so much as to play theatre to some random geriatric YDC guy (who could never tell a sport-related injury if it hit him in the face, presumably) by getting a zensho yusho while bitching about it, we live in a completely different world. Firstly, it's unreasonable of you to assume that the YDC can have any meaningful power over the guy who has now TEN yushos more than Taihou. Especially when the only other yokozuna hadn't completed a basho of his last 5, and said "reprimand" was over Hakuhou pulling out while 10-2 or something. Secondly, if Hakuhou wanted to make a statement about something, he'd actually come out and say it. I have an EXTREMELY hard time believing that he'd act weak on purpose in any circumstances, he more than any other rikishi on the banzuke right now. 

Finally and most importantly, I fear for the end of Hakuhou. Maybe they'll do the unthinkable and let him heal and come back well-rested in November or January. But knowing the sumo world, I fear for the worst. 

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Well, it seems quite popular around here, since no one is addressing this. Why on earth does Hakuhou, of all people, need to ham anything up to a point where he is faking the fact that he can't pick up the Cup on his own? Really? There were times here that an utterance like this was met with fire and brimstone. I guess this forum is also undergoing a change of guard.  

I for one get tired of the arguing. Some people just hate the guy. He can't do anything right even when it comes to being injured. He was not born and or raised in Japan so he has that going against him. He will never have the hinkaku of a Japanese person because he was not raised there. 

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Well, it seems quite popular around here, since no one is addressing this. Why on earth does Hakuhou, of all people, need to ham anything up to a point where he is faking the fact that he can't pick up the Cup on his own? Really? Hakuhou can literally get away with anything. He doesn't need to fake an injury. I would like to know why he is doing this, in your opinion. Give me one plausible reason. To gain the fans' sympathy? These are athletes, it's their livelihood. The last thing they want to be seen as is weak. No, I'd really like to hear those of you who agree with this give me one good reason that a dai-yokozuna needs to play up an injury. If you've been watching sumo for a week, you know that if anything, all rikishi play down their injuries. Reprimand? What reprimand? Since when does Hakuhou give a hoot about anything? He was slapping and elbowing the whole basho, even though some farts in the YDC (not the Kyokai,. the YDC) said it was not Yokozuna sumo. There were times here that an utterance like this was met with fire and brimstone. I guess this forum is also undergoing a change of guard.  

Who is going to approve his participation in the 2020 Olympics?

Seems like he gives quite a hoot about being a part of that.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, neonbelly said:

The big question in my mind is if Hakuho sprained/tore a bicep or injured a tendon/ligament. If it is only a muscle injury, we have every reason to expect him back next basho. Edit: Or perhaps he will skip one. A muscle tear can heal in 2 months , but perhaps not to the point where he will want to fight with it.

Edited by Marcus33

3 hours ago, Jabbamaru said:

theres many levels of muscular distension...I was looking for the bruise when he was doing the hair thing after the final bout and i saw just a little one in his superior biceps area...very different than the huge one we saw on Kise's right after the bout against Haruma...We shal see...IMO a painful but regular distension....

IIRC, Kise had a tendon that was mostly detached, a very serious injury. Such a pity he didn't have the surgery.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Oh good,  sorry I posted before reading this. He can deal with a torn muscle.

59 minutes ago, Kyokufuji said:

Who is going to approve his participation in the 2020 Olympics?

Seems like he gives quite a hoot about being a part of that.

I think if the Kyokai/YDC said that the guy who's dominated sumo for the last decade plus couldn't be involved in the Olympics because they reprimanded him, they would be a laughing stock.

14 minutes ago, Jaakunakunshu said:

I think if the Kyokai/YDC said that the guy who's dominated sumo for the last decade plus couldn't be involved in the Olympics because they reprimanded him, they would be a laughing stock.

I completely agree.

But it doesn’t seem totally impossible, does it? Especially if a young, popular Japanese rikishi is an option.