Atenzan

Hakuho Injures Arm Haru Basho 2019

5 hours ago, Catalin B said:

I had a similar feeling; I don't think he was completely faking it, just adding a bit of drama, which is all cool as long as he is the big boss and keeps delivering as such. Maybe the pro-wrestling fan in me is too willing to believe that some things are worked, but it did look like that type of deal.

Uh no, Hak may play various mind games but he doesn't fake anything.

7 hours ago, Kyokufuji said:

Will surely be an unpopular opinion, but Hakuho was selling the “injury” too hard for me to believe it’s real. Just hamming it up in light of the reprimand he got after Hatsu.

It's sad that something like this is existing at all and someone even like it. By right it should be unpopular.

Honestly i came just to browse the update regarding Hakuho injury, and i have to find this crap..the guy just win a zensho after coming back from double surgery and unfortunately got injury on the last day after a great bout, yet you have to come with this nonsense? 

Btw congratulations, i finally make account just to reply to you, lol

• Like 1

"It's a bit better. I can move it," said Hakuhou at the press conference today. He still can't bend it and was drinking using his left hand and will decide if he will be joining the jungyo (March 30th) after 3-4 days of rest and has no intention of going to the hospital at this point. "I can understand how Kisenosato felt," he said. So at this point, there is no official diagnosis, just Hakuhou's feeling.

John Hamm, raising the injured arm:

sum19032511410009-p1.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

my opinion on this is,that hakuho will sit out at least 1 basho

all in all it loks, as if he just returns to ozumo, to show that he still is the best and does it in style with a zensho

i guess he is taking it easier and obviously i is enough, if he shows his dominance every third basho

quite impressing......never have seen this in any other sports

• Like 1

What concerns me most is that Hakuho's body has apparently accumulated so much wear and tear that he doesn't escape these stunts unscathed anymore. Age will get you eventually, even the GOAT from Krypton.

• Like 1

I think it’s obvious that as a sumo fan Hakuho is bored of seeing the same guy win the yusho all the time, so he’s getting himself “injured” once in a while to inject a bit of excitement into tournaments. He gets to sit at home watching on Abema TV, wondering which maegashira or junior sanyaku will deny Takayasu and Goeido the glory.

• Haha 6
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

"It's a bit better. I can move it," said Hakuhou at the press conference today. He still can't bend it and was drinking using his left hand and will decide if he will be joining the jungyo (March 30th) after 3-4 days of rest and has no intention of going to the hospital at his point. "I can understand how Kisenosato felt," he said. So at this point, there is no official diagnosis, just Hakuhou's feeling.

John Hamm, raising the injured arm:

sum19032511410009-p1.jpg

And the Oscar for weakest bicep in a zensho performance goes to..........

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

"It's a bit better. I can move it," said Hakuhou at the press conference today. He still can't bend it and was drinking using his left hand and will decide if he will be joining the jungyo (March 30th) after 3-4 days of rest and has no intention of going to the hospital at his point. "I can understand how Kisenosato felt," he said. So at this point, there is no official diagnosis, just Hakuhou's feeling.

I know there is a saying in sumo that "winning is the best medicine", and having just won the last Heisei Era basho (as he more or less predicted) and racking up his 15th zensho-yusho, that is some mighty potent "medicine".  But Hakuho has a team of doctors, and they are probably on speed dial!  Heck, they'd probably even entertain making a house/heya-call!  Is it a question of not wanting to know the truth, or has Hakuho experienced something similar in the past and is trying to make light of it?

2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I don’t like this. I thought Hakuhō would be smart enough to get all necessary treatment ASAP and rest as much as needed, especially after the Kisenosato fiasco. What is he doing?

I’m relieved the injury doesn’t seem to be career-ending like Kisenosato’s, but he needs to get treated and take off the whole year if needed.

As far as the guy saying Hakuhō faked the injury– obviously the lack of “likes” on the post shows what the forum thinks of it, and I (as mentioned by others) would rather ignore such preposterous claims than clutter the forum with arguments.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tsubame said:

You can clearly see, that he rises his shoulder too and lend his head to this side. If he "only" could not bend his right arm, lifting should not such a problem. But it seems it is.

Sorry, but that's rubbish. A man is not a robot, you know?

5 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Sorry, but that's rubbish. A man is not a robot, you know?

Given a certain sportiness: Go in front of a mirror, lift your angled arm, watch wether you rise your shoulder and tilt your head too or not.

I do.

Edit: and to elaborate a bit further - if you're hurting, every movement will subconsciously try to levy that pain, so it's not unusal that Hakuho tilts his head in anticipation of pain, even if it's "only" the biceps that hurts.

Edited by Jakusotsu

4 hours ago, ALAKTORN said:

I don’t like this. I thought Hakuhō would be smart enough to get all necessary treatment ASAP and rest as much as needed, especially after the Kisenosato fiasco. What is he doing?

I’m relieved the injury doesn’t seem to be career-ending like Kisenosato’s, but he needs to get treated and take off the whole year if needed.

Strange. Hakuhó semms to me the kind of guy who is pragmatic enough to go to a proper doctor and have hmself treated, whatever it takes. He certainly woudn't want to transform into a Kisenosato-like walking injury.  

10 minutes ago, Apayasu said:

Strange. Hakuhó semms to me the kind of guy who is pragmatic enough to go to a proper doctor and have hmself treated, whatever it takes. He certainly woudn't want to transform into a Kisenosato-like walking injury.  

I wonder if he's looking ahead to retirement, which has to come next year if not sooner, and thinking he wants to compete as much as possible while he still can rather than sit out a bunch of what will likely be his last active year.

I hope not, though. I would much rather see him at 100% condition than in the kind of condition we saw Kisenosato in at the end of his career.

8 hours ago, ALAKTORN said:

This side of Sumo really puzzles me. 

A fast diagnosis prevents more serious consequences and/or speed up the recover. I do can't  understand especially for athlets of this level.

Don't worry, despite knowing very little about the injury or what opinions he has sought, there's been plenty of advice for him about what he should be doing or shouldn't have done on this forum.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, neonbelly said:

Surely Hakuho has at least seen a personal physician, riiiiight?

I called him right after the match to get him to see his doctor.   As usual, he was too preoccupied to  answer my call.  ;-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, Sopoyo said:

Honestly i came just to browse the update regarding Hakuho injury, and i have to find this crap..the guy just win a zensho after coming back from double surgery and unfortunately got injury on the last day after a great bout, yet you have to come with this nonsense

He can barely lift a glass of water, yet still hasn’t gone to the hospital. 

If only there was some recent occurrence that could help him realize that “rest and see” isn’t really the best approach when it comes to muscle tears.

Maybe you’re right though. Hakuho certainly isn’t incredibly theatrical or anything.

8 hours ago, neonbelly said:

He has undoubtedly seen more than one of them--probably several. Hakuho must have an army of personnel taking care of his medical needs. I'm sure he's getting the best advice possible and if that includes waiting a while for the injury to improve on its own, that's good enough--at least for now. If the medical experts thought that this was an extremely severe injury, he certainly would have already undergone additional medical tests. They still may have to be done but at the moment, they probably feel that they aren't required. 

No matter what the prognosis may be, he may very well go kyujo in May. Hakuho and other yokozunas have the option of missing bashos without penalty so that injuries can completely heal. In the military services, it's known as RHIP--"rank has its privileges".

Edited by sekitori
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, neonbelly said:

"He has taken emergency measures" is the direct quote from his people, whatever that means.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hakuhou intends to take part in the Haru Jungyo, dohyo-iri and all. He was supposed to go to the hospital today for check-ups. There is a muscle tear, but the pectoral area has not been affected, say people who know.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Kintamayama said:

Hakuhou intends to take part in the Haru Jungyo, dohyo-iri and all. He was supposed to go to the hospital today for check-ups. There is a muscle tear, but the pectoral area has not been affected, say people who know.

Is he going to do any bouts? 

The fact that the pec is OK is very encouraging, but I wouldn't sleep on a torn bicep, literally or otherwise. 

59 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

From what I've learned, bicep tears at the pectoral area are far more severe than those toward the center of the muscle. Nevertheless, it can take time for the tear to completely heal--possibly two months and sometmes longer. He may do the dohyo-iri at the jungyo but I doubt if he'll do much more than that. There's a very good chance of his going kyujo in May and if the injury hasn't completely healed, possibly Nagoya as well. 

22 minutes ago, sekitori said:

From what I've learned, bicep tears at the pectoral area are far more severe than those toward the center of the muscle. Nevertheless, it can take time for the tear to completely heal--possibly two months and sometmes longer. He may do the dohyo-iri at the jungyo but I doubt if he'll do much more than that. There's a very good chance of his going kyujo in May and if the injury hasn't completely healed, possibly Nagoya as well. 

I'll be interested to hear exactly what kind of injury he has. "muscle tear" can mean anything from a rupture of the muscle belly itself, to the muscle tearing away from the tendon, to a rupture of the tendon. Moreover the biceps muscle crosses two joints and distal and superior ruptures would naturally have different effects. In any case, it seems it's not major.