Sign in to follow this  
Gurowake

The Next Ozeki - Natsu 2019 edition

The Next Ozeki - Natsu 2019 edition  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next first-time Ozeki?

• Ichinojo
    • Mitakeumi
    • Hokutofuji
    • Tamawashi
    • Onosho
    • Endo
    • Abi
    • Daieisho
    • Shodai
    • Nishikigi
    • Shimanoumi
    • Kagayaki
    • Meisei
    • Tomokaze
    • Enho
    • Someone else in Makuuchi as of Natsu 2019
    • Someone else not in Makuuchi as of Natsu 2019

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 13/05/19 at 01:40

Posted (edited)

Forget about trying to mix in guesses about the next Yokozuna promotion.  Who will the next first-time Ozeki be? 

Edited by Gurowake

It would be easier to make multiple choices for "definitely not". B-)

Posted (edited)

I want to say Ichinojo but with him sidelined with back issues immediately after his 14-1 basho, I just can't see him accumulating 33 wins over 3 basho. I voted for Mitakeumi, but it might not be for a long, long time (i.e. after Hakuho has retired).

Edited by Oshirokita

I think many would go for Ichinojo given how strong he looked in the previous basho.   But can he (and/or his back) sustain it for 3 - 4 bashos in a row?  I don't believe he can.  The history is not behind him.

Mitakeumi had one run at it but he seems to be on and off in every basho.  No double digit win consistency at all.  

Most others have been at it for a while without getting close to being an Ozeki.

Other newbies seemed they are going to be perennial Maegishira rikishi.   I like Tomokaze & Shimanoumi b/c they have been rising up the ladder and I don't yet know what is their limit.  In the end, I voted for Tomokaze only b/c he is 1/2 step ahead Shamnoumi.  

Posted (edited)

He didn't get many double digits often but Mitakeumi looked really good before he got injured. He didn't train before the basho so 7-8 is quite good given how well the top guys were doing. If his leg can heal, he is the most regular candidate. He just needs to find a way to make that extra step. Ichinojo has been impressive but can he slap down the top guys over three tournaments ?

In before Shodai suddenly develops a tachi ai and bulldoze his way to ozeki under the nickname Shodai the Impaler.

Edited by Rainoyama
  • Like 1

Over 10 sanyuku appearances (healthy or unhealthy), Mita only had one double digit win basho.  One, that's it.  He needs to string at least two double digit win basho together.  With Ozeki run on the line, he failed multiple times, seemingly against lesser opponents.   OTHO, with Sanyuku rank on the line, he came through multiple times against tougher opponents.   Perhaps, it's mental with him.  He sure got the goods IMO.

It's probably going to be Mitakeumi, because he just needs to tweak his game a bit and he'll get his necessary wins, but I'm voting for Shimanoumi because if he somehow becomes brilliant in a few years time I'm going to look like an inspired genius for picking him, and I'll ride that success to do book tours, rock and roll concerts, speaking engagements, etc. 

Some outside of the box thinking here... What about Aoiyama? I get his age and inconsistency but at times he looks great... This is a long shot and I don´t really think it can happen just wanted to put it out there 

• Like 1

Just voting Hokutofuji in, as a wild card... (Jumpinginecstasy...)

• Like 1

I go for Hokutofuji too.

last basho i was impress by his match with kakuryu : they looked like siblings !

• Like 1