Sign in to follow this  
Christopher

How to watch Sumo live from box seats?

Hi, 

I have been in Japan three times to watch sumo live (2 x Osaka, 1 x Tokio). Since I travelled as a single person, I needed only one seat in the venue. As you may know, there are two different types of seats; "box seats" and "arena seats". Box seats normaly are located closer to the doyho, so in this aspect they are the better seats.

The "problem" is, that you have to buy a complete box (with seats/seat cushions for three or four people); they don't sell single tickets for box seats. 

Now my question is: Does anybody know if there's a platform/place in the internet where I can find/meet other people who are willing to buy/share a complete box?

I'm thinking about visiting the november-basho in Fukuoka.... 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Christopher said:

The "problem" is, that you have to buy a complete box (with seats/seat cushions for three or four people); they don't sell single tickets for box seats. 

I always buy 1 person masu seat boxes - there are a few, available on the Japanese pages of sumo.pia http://sumo.pia.jp/ticket05.jsp

You have to be quick though

Edit: I see that Fukuoka has no 1 person masu, only those for 2 or 3 persons http://sumo.pia.jp/ticket11.jsp

Edited by Akinomaki

17 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

I always buy 1 person masu seat boxes - there are a few, available on the Japanese pages of sumo.pia http://sumo.pia.jp/ticket05.jsp

You have to be quick though

Edit: I see that Fukuoka has no 1 person masu, only those for 2 or 3 persons http://sumo.pia.jp/ticket11.jsp

Hi Akinomaki, 

I have tried your links, but on the (Google-translated) pages of sumo.pia I can't find a "masu seat box". Unfortunatelly I don't speak japanese, so the japanese pages of sumo.pia are a ridle for me, and the Google-translated versions of these pages don't make really sense. 

But thanks anyway for your response! 

4 hours ago, Christopher said:

I have tried your links, but on the (Google-translated) pages of sumo.pia I can't find a "masu seat box". Unfortunatelly I don't speak japanese, so the japanese pages of sumo.pia are a ridle for me, and the Google-translated versions of these pages don't make really sense.

Google shows them as Mass seats, listed under just seats, while the not-masu seats are chair seats. The 1-3 person ones are not yet on the list for the Natsu basho, which has the pre-advance ticket lottery applications going on. Next week the full variety will be listed and sales start on the 6th.

For Fukuoka, translate uses mass when the term is originally in katakana and gives up completely when in kanji and shows that instead: 桝.

If you go for the fight against time when sales start for Natsu, you've lost already when you have to rely on google translate. Fukuoka is not selling that well, there it might be possible to get e.g. a 2 person masu seat box. But the registration for sumo.pia is difficult as well - you have to enter name and address with Japanese input.

16 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

If you go for the fight against time when sales start for Natsu, you've lost already when you have to rely on google translate...... But the registration for sumo.pia is difficult as well - you have to enter name and address with Japanese input.

These are the reasons why it's difficult - if not to say impossible - for someone who is not japanese or at least lives in Japan to buy tickets at sumo.pia.

I guess I will have to buy my tickets (like before) at "buysumotickets". That firm really works pretty well, but the seats they offer are restricted to the ones which are easier to get (talking about "fight against time when sales start").