Sign in to follow this  
Kaminariyuki

Enho vs. Ichinojo?

I know, I know, the kid's got to climb a wee bit higher first. Ichinjojo will certainly be Komusubi in May.

But, won't that be awesome? Unless Ichinojo just slaps him down like the big boy did against so many opponents this basho.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thundersnow said:

I know, I know, the kid's got to climb a wee bit higher first. Ichinjojo will certainly be Komusubi in May.

But, won't that be awesome? Unless Ichinojo just slaps him down like the big boy did against so many opponents this basho.

Shhhhh.  Don't tell Ichinojo or other tall rikishi that the way to beat Enho is hit him on top of the head as Enho charges in.    When others find out, Enho's sumo career will be pretty short.

Posted (edited)

Happened in the quarterfinals of the 2012 Interhigh! Though Jo' was a slim 178kg at the time...

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 4

Check out bouts between Mainoumi and Akebono for an idea of what it could look like.

Almost flattened him. Add the 50 more kilos he has today and that kind of a fall on top of Enhou can be lethal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Almost flattened him. Add the 50 more kilos he has today and that kind of a fall on top of Enhou can be lethal.

Nonsense. Enho is a highly skilled professional sekitori. He practices with Hakuho all the time. He can handle himself against Ichinojo and anyone else.

(How dare I criticize the great Kintamayama!)

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Mainoumi broke his leg when the then 275kg Konishiki landed on it, so yeah, there’s always that sort of danger. More recently, of course, we have the likes of Ura and Chiyonokuni suffering serious knee injuries when their legs got caught under them and buckled, and that wasn’t even under the weight of the heaviest opponents.

Edited by Eikokurai

16 minutes ago, Bumpkin said:

Nonsense. Enho is a highly skilled professional sekitori. He practices with Hakuho all the time. He can handle himself against Ichinojo and anyone else.

(How dare I criticize the great Kintamayama!)

Getting injured has little to do with skill. Hakuho trains with himself every day but managed to tear his bicep on day 15 of Haru.

4 hours ago, Thundersnow said:

Ichinjojo will certainly be Komusubi in May.

Only if for some reason they don't actually promote Takakeisho.  Perhaps by Komusubi you meant "at least Komusubi".  Or perhaps you are not following the promotion situation.

15 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Hakuho trains with himself every day but managed to tear his bicep on day 15 of Haru.

The only thing that can hurt Hakuho is Hakuho.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, just_some_guy said:

The only thing that can hurt Hakuho is Hakuho.

Or Chuck Norris. On a more serious note, skill may help prevent injuries to some extent. Rikishi who know how to fall and those who are most of the time in a dominant position (Hakuho got injured against the only rikishi who put him on the back foot) have an edge, but there is a 'systemic risk' you can't avoid.

• Haha 1

The "no weight division" thing makes tough for the little ones...Enho was looking like he was smashed by a bulldozer last week...And its just top juryo...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Gurowake said:

Only if for some reason they don't actually promote Takakeisho.  Perhaps by Komusubi you meant "at least Komusubi".  Or perhaps you are not following the promotion situation.

No, I'm woefully ignorant of the mechanisms for promotion, and don't follow much news except occasionally here, but figured at Megashira 1 and a 14-1 record, he'd be moving up somewhere.

With the way that Ichinojo and Enho will be on the Kyushu banzuke, the first pro match between these two could become a reality in November.

6 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

With the way that Ichinojo and Enho will be on the Kyushu banzuke, the first pro match between these two could become a reality in November.

I just realised this myself yesterday. It's a very exciting prospect. 

On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 23:24, Eikokurai said:

Mainoumi broke his leg when the then 275kg Konishiki landed on it, so yeah, there’s always that sort of danger. More recently, of course, we have the likes of Ura and Chiyonokuni suffering serious knee injuries when their legs got caught under them and buckled, and that wasn’t even under the weight of the heaviest opponents.

Ex-Masurao was another one who suffered injuries which in effect changed his career for the poorer, he injured his knee against both Konishiki and Onokuni (the two heaviest men at the time) and he never recaptured his '87 form as a result.

An Enho-Ichinojo bout; it depends what Ichinojo turns up, if he turns up with a bit of fighting spirit, he should take care of Enho easily enough.  But if, as is the case more often than not, he lumbers about with no fighting spirit at all, Enho will fancy his chances.

Swami

On 26/03/2019 at 07:08, Kintamayama said:

I thought the same thing. It isn't going to be pretty if Ichinojo lands on a limb.

On the flipside, Ichinojo is so hot and cold that I sometimes wonder what is going through his head, so who knows how this matchup will go.

Edited by cyclonicleo
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, cyclonicleo said:

I thought the same thing. It isn't going to be pretty if Ichinojo lands on a limb.

On the flipside, Ichinojo is so hot and cold that I sometimes wonder what is going through his head, so who knows how this matchup will go.

I also remember Kyushu when Onokuni landed on Chiyonofuji's head, looked awful but Chiyonofuji came back to win the yusho.

Swami