Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

YDC convenes after Haru 2019-Hakuhou’s handclapping call

The YDC convened today. As usual, they had something to say about Hakuhou. This time, regarding Hakuhou's asking the audience to clap in unison. "It was brought up and viewpoints were exchanged but a lot of members felt uncomfortable with it, "said Mr. Yano the new chairman. A three-time handclap in unison is usually done after everything is over, and this happened during his interview, quite a while before "it was all over". The various ceremonies that come after have some significance-in short, it ain't over till it's over, and it wasn't over yet, says the chairman. "Even though he is the yusho winning rikishi, some members felt he was not in a position  to do that. We were surprised to hear the whole stadium resonating with the hand-clapping," added the chairman. Hakuhou already got into hot water back in November 2017 when mid-yusho interview he said he hoped to see Harumafuji and Takanoiwa back in the ring after the assault affair, and was reprimanded for that. "We don't propose anything concrete-we just felt uncomfortable. We would like to know the rijikai's take on this," added the chairman. Shibatayama Oyakata was present as the Kyokai's representative. "As the top guy of the kyokai, the YDC were asking if his conduct was proper. We received some complaints from the fans and messages from people who were for him as well. We have to respect the traditions and we have to address this issue of conduct and action. I don't know yet if we will be calling him into the office for a talk. We will be dealing with that in the coming days," he said.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

Come on, he did this because heisei is ending and it was his last moment in this era with this many fans gathered at the same place. He asked very politely before he did it and almost everybody in the arena seemed happy to participate. If it was Kisenosato doing it nobody would even question it.

Edited by Rainoyama
  • Like 8

They just sound like a bunch of guys trying to keep themselves relevant by saying anything at all.

I totally interpreted it as him doing sth special to signify the end of the Heisei era. With the knowledge about the meaning of the gesture it makes even more sense to me. It IS the job of the YDC to judge / point out even the slightest thing they consider out of norm... so I guess they did what they had to do. I don't really agree with it, though. 

22 minutes ago, Thorbjarn said:

It IS the job of the YDC to judge / point out even the slightest thing they consider out of norm...

And there was me thinking their job was to advise the Kyokai on yokozuna promotions...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Google Translate version of the Yomiuri article is a work of art. If the age is no good, it will be good if it is hand-clamped!

Three pegs in white birch, side trial "I feel uncomfortable" and complain

On the 25th, the Yokozuna deliberation committee after the Grand Sumo Spring area was held at the Gokugikan of the two countries, and the Yokozaku Shirakiseki confessed to the audience from the committee that they urged the audience to tighten the triple in the winning interview received in Chichu It was one after another.

Hironori Yano, the chairman of the press conference, said, "There were a lot of committee members who felt discomfort. I told them to everyone (in the Sumo Association) that they were a little strange." At the end of the award ceremony, the Sumo Association performs a "God-raising ceremony" to return the god who got down to the earth to the heavens, and performs a triple closure. The members of the committee said, "What is the purpose of closing the award ceremony in the middle of the ceremony?"

Hakuto Seki sway urges spectators to sing in the interview at the Kyushu location in 2017, and has received great attention from the association as "involved in the dignity of Yokozuna". Shibatayama public relations manager (former Yokozuna Ono country) said, "If the age is no good, it will be good if it is hand-clamped." It is said to consider correspondence.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

In YDC's eyes, Hakuho simply can't do anything right, and Kisenosato can't do anything wrong.

• Thanks 1

I suppose if I were a Yokozuna, I'd rather have the YDC grumbling about something irrelevant than grumbling about my sumo. Especially if I had just put down a performance with relatively little for them to grumble about.

Did they grumble about Kakuryu at all, or was Hakuho their only topic?

(Also, why do I get the feeling that they would have grumbled about "lack of leadership" if he hadn't attempted to do something to mark the end of the era?)

According to the the yomiuri article Hakuhou was already warned before for "affecting the dignity of Yokozuna" after he asked the crowd for 3 banzai during his Kyushu 2017 interview.

Head of public relations Shibatayama oyakata (former Yokozuna Onokuni): "If the banzai is not allowed, why would the handclap be ok ? Hakuhou should be more careful with what he says and does'

Edited by Rainoyama
  • Thanks 1

This just in, YDC to be renamed the HAR council - handclap administration and regulation council.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Actually the audience in the stadium agreed with YDC (Laughing...)

Sometimes, tradition is overrated.  I like Ozumo but some traditions are ... well ...

10 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

"We don't propose anything concrete-we just felt uncomfortable."

Then it doesn't take much to make the YDC feel uncomfortable. Imagine how uncomfortable they would be if he sat out 7 tournaments....

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, ryafuji said:

And there was me thinking their job was to advise the Kyokai on yokozuna promotions...

Yeah, I got this mixed up. My bad. 

I don't think it's actually wrong for them to look at the existing top-rankers and point out (what they consider) un-yokozunesk behaviour. Which is not to say I agree with all their assertions. 

To be honest, I couldn't help feeling a bit uneasy while watching Hakuho's request for clapping.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Kishinoyama said:

Then it doesn't take much to make the YDC feel uncomfortable. Imagine how uncomfortable they would be if he sat out 7 tournaments....

They did not talk about his sumo because as the GOAT his expertise and achievement are beyond their imagination. That's why they are more interested in hand-clapping or banning him from using certain sumo skills. (Laughing...)

Weird...the kind of treatment they give to Hakuho in japan, at least part of japan, reminds me the treatment that the public and the media in Brasil used to dispense to the french f1 racer Alain Prost...All the nacionalism and idolatry around Airton Sena did Prost turn in some kind of cruel, evil villain who was always up with malignous plans to destroys our hero. Sad times to Brazilian sports press...

42 yusho 15 zensho... congrats? No. You should not clap, man! Geez...

• Like 3

Remember the "good old days" when Asashoryu was the black hat who could do nothing right (and obvously didn't give a crap about it after a while) while Hakuho (who started his yokozuna run with a henka of sole yokozuna Asashoryu) was the white hat golden boy who was full of hinaku and could not do anything wrong.

Asa's reaction to the henka was amusing, a cross between good one and I'll remember that.

Edited by Fukurou
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Fukurou said:

Asa's reaction to the henka was amusing, a cross between good one and I'll remember that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1