Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

Retirees after Haru 2019

Posted (edited)

You might think it's a bit early for that topic - and I was also quite surprised that a rikishi can decide to retire after the basho before it, have it known and still be in it - lower divs can. Hamamiryu is reported like that from his local paper. His mother and sister were there on day 3 to watch, but he lost.  http://www.kobe-np.co.jp/news/sports/201903/0012141570.shtml

a_12141571.jpg

Remains to be seen if he will be in more bouts this basho

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Former Juryo Hitenryu has retired after a 19-year career, having reached his physical limit. Making his debut in 2000 Haru, a bit of banzuke luck saw him finally reach Juryo in 2011 Nagoya, in the aftermath of the yaocho scandal. He spent two basho as a sekitori, which he says is his favourite memory from his career.

His danpatsu-shiki will be held at the Kokugikan on May 4th.

Also, former Maegashira Tenkaiho was greeted with flowers (and a KFC bucket it seems!) by some of his fellow Nichidai graduates following his bout today. No official intai announcement yet but the rumour is that he'll borrow a myoseki and stay in the Kyokai.

From left: Hidenoumi, Kizakiumi, Sanoyama-oyakata (Satoyama), Kiseoka, Ishiura, Tenkaiho, Tobizaru, Tsurugisho, Daishomaru and Akiseyama.

yivWSycZ_o.jpg

On ‎13‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 08:02, Akinomaki said:

You might think it's a bit early for that topic - and I was also quite surprised that a rikishi can decide to retire after the basho before it, have it known and still be in it - lower divs can. Hamamiryu is reported like that from his local paper. His mother and sister were there on day 3 to watch, but he lost.  http://www.kobe-np.co.jp/news/sports/201903/0012141570.shtml

Hamamiryu completed his final basho with a win and kachi-koshi. It seems he will next go to work in a chanko restaurant in Himeji run by a fellow Hyogo native, former Makushita Daikiyama.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Tenkaiho borrowed from Kotoshogiku. Could be difficult for him to buy one as he doesn't have enough supporters to help him finance it. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

His danpatsu-shiki will be held at the Kokugikan on May 4th.

Be with him on his future endeavours

1 hour ago, Fay said:

Tenkaiho borrowed from Kotoshogiku. Could be difficult for him to buy one as he doesn't have enough supporters to help him finance it. 

That is very brave. 

8 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

Former Juryo Hitenryu has retired after a 19-year career, having reached his physical limit. Making his debut in 2000 Haru, a bit of banzuke luck saw him finally reach Juryo in 2011 Nagoya, in the aftermath of the yaocho scandal. He spent two basho as a sekitori, which he says is his favourite memory from his career.

He will stay at the Kyokai as Wakaimonogashira!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The intai press conference of Tenkaiho  today, with Onoe-oyakata - the NSK usually posts the full video later

D2UnPOCUcAcLm8w.jpg:thumbo D2UjxBZUkAAcCjw.jpg:thumbo D2UgGIRUcAA2pqA.jpg:thumbo

b_12174134.jpgo b_12174135.jpgo 20190323s00005000252000p_thum.jpgo

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

He has only 29 sekitori basho, right?
Did he benefit from the Hochiyama rule? (Guarantor: an active oyakata + the shisho + former holder)

Looks like he fought hard to try to get this 30th tournament, for 3 years, but couldn't get back higher than ms8.

You are correct with the number of sekitori basho so presumably yes, he benefits from the rule change.

On ‎23‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 00:55, Itachiyama said:

He will stay at the Kyokai as Wakaimonogashira!

he told me the Kyokai kind of forced him to retire as they wanted him to become Wakaimonogashira now!

Tenkaiho/Minami is the last one from the promising quartet that joined way back in 01.2007 to retire. Lots of promise, but...

On 22/03/2019 at 15:55, rhyen said:

That is very brave. 

An ejection seat is better than no seat at all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, shumitto said:

Tenkaiho/Minami is the last one from the promising quartet that joined way back in 01.2007 to retire. Lots of promise, but...

Nice callback. A rather diverse set of circumstances for careers to not quite reach the highs people might have expected. That being said, considering Tenkaiho's career already looked nearly DOA by 2011 and it took the yaocho scandal expulsions - ironically including another of the 2007.01 rookies - for him to catch his big break, getting all the way to kabu eligibility afterwards has to rate as a success story, I think.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Itachiyama said:
On 23/03/2019 at 00:55, Itachiyama said:

[Hitenryu] will stay at the Kyokai as Wakaimonogashira!

he told me the Kyokai kind of forced him to retire as they wanted him to become Wakaimonogashira now!

Yeah, that makes sense - Hakuryu is reaching retirement age in a few weeks, vacating a position.

First new wakaimonogashira in 18 years, since Tochinofuji (whom Hitenryu will be 15 years junior to in age). And now I'm wondering who else might be hanging around for this opportunity, right now or in the near future - there will be further openings in 2022 (x2), 2024 and 2026 (x2).

(The full current roster, in case anyone's curious now: Hakuryu, ShiraiwaKotochitoseHananokuniIyozakuraFukunosatoZenshinyama, Tochinofuji.)

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Thanks 3

They arrived at about the same time I started following sumo. It is hard to forget.

2 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

Tenkaiho's (...) getting all the way to kabu eligibility afterwards has to rate as a success story, I think.

Too right it is, specially considering Tenkaiho was probably the least promising of the four.

Danpatsu-shiki of Hokutotsuru at the Hakkaku-beya senshuraku party - after 15 years in sumo. He'lll return to his home prefecture Yamagata and start a new life.

D2i5hdHUYAE85tl.jpg:thumbo D2i5hdHUYAAYiLN.jpg:thumbo D2i5hdIUYAAAwCn.jpg:thumbo

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Retirees: (Hitenryuu and Hamamiryuu not on the list)

Makushita:

Tenkaihou

Akinohana ( Last 5 and a half years in Makushita)

Daishouiwa

Sandanme:

Amanishiki

Hokutotsuru

Jonidan:

Kiriarashi

Sumidagawa  (The guy from Naruto beya that beat up the other guy from Naruto beya)

Burinosato

Hamatensei

Nagaya

Banzuke-gai:

Daiseihou

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2

On 13/03/2019 at 10:02, Akinomaki said:

a_12141571.jpg

He was and ended 4-3.

17 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Sandanme:

Amanishiki

Wow that was close...

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Rainoyama said:

Wow that was close...

I also misread it as Aminishiki for a moment. Assume you meant that.

23 minutes ago, ALAKTORN said:

I also misread it as Aminishiki for a moment. Assume you meant that.

That was the joke yes !

2 hours ago, Rainoyama said:

Wow that was close...

After the first days of this Haru I though there was no way he could not be in this thread. Aminishiki is truly amazing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Retirees: (Hitenryuu and Hamamiryuu not on the list)

Why? Did they retire or not?

Posted (edited)

I remember Hamamiryu most from his bout vs Homarenishiki

Edited by Katooshu

1 hour ago, Bumpkin said:

Why? Did they retire or not?

They expressed the intention to retire, but the oyakata have obviously not filed the retirement papers in time for the banzuke compilation conference. They'll be on the next banzuke, but maybe had their danpatsu-shiki already.

• Thanks 1