Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

Retirees after Haru 2019

Posted (edited)

Burinosato was the last of the four rikishi who branched out with Chiganoura-beya back in 2004, bit sad to see him call it a day.

Danpatsu-shiki pictures for Kiriarashi, Akinohana and Amanishiki were posted in last basho's intai thread.

Daiseiho retires after 11 years due to an eye injury suffered during keiko last year. One of the more interesting rikishi, I highly recommend reading the story of his entry into ozumo. In April he will start working for one of Japan's largest manufacturers of medical products.

Spoiler

Danpatsu-shiki begins. Juryo gyoji Kimura Kichijiro is guiding the participants.

vcBRPaFk_o.jpg

yOX3RWBa_o.jpg

dW53seVM_o.jpg

DVtnO4tl_o.jpg

The next cutter is Kazuma Miura, captain of the sumo club at Nippon Medical School.

DnqUVAPX_o.jpg

iqYwJaJg_o.jpg

V0W80q2b_o.jpg

A speech from Shibatayama-oyakata (former Yokozuna Onokuni).

TZiB8Usw_o.jpg

Daiseiho after a proper haircut and a change of clothes, with Miura again.

qekgO2Wx_o.jpg

And finally with another supporter.

efRargtR_o.jpg

Daishoiwa retires after 13 years on the dohyo, in which he participated in two yusho kettei-sen. In 2014 Natsu he missed out on the Sandanme yusho against fellow retiree Kiriarashi, while in 2016 Hatsu he fell in the first round of an eight-man play-off for the Makushita yusho.

Spoiler

He received plenty of flowers from stablemates and friends/family after the final bout of his career on Day 14.

QbK6N84P_o.jpg

xk5Fj7IU_o.jpg

YkN2AbCp_o.jpg

CzLCkoTl_o.jpg

No actual danpatsu-shiki pictures so far, but here he is having his oichomage crafted by heya tokoyama Tokosaku.

6degUULR_o.jpg

As Bumpkin noticed Hamamiryu didn't make the official list this time, but is retiring after 16 years and 665 consecutive bouts. He was one of the group of seven rikishi who originally branched out with Kise-beya when it opened in 2004. His danpatsu-shiki took place on senshuraku.

Spoiler

With stablemate Kiseoka.

OYnka56u_o.jpg

Danpatsu-shiki underway. I think it's Mogaminishiki who is guiding the participants.

5PDhmGyg_o.jpg

Kiseoka arrives to make his cut, to be followed by Goryu.

IKnvAJ1r_o.jpg

MHdUbrHL_o.jpg

Inagawa-oyakata (former Komusubi Futeno).

DJDqN9nP_o.jpg

Kise-oyakata (former Maegashira Higonoumi) brings the ceremony to an end with the final cut.

TeB5RZCj_o.jpg

Hamamiryu's severed mage.

fienk8Ik_o.jpg

Hamatensei retires after an eight year struggle, having made his debut in the 2011 Natsu basho-by-any-other-name. He had a couple of lengthy injury absences, but did at least sign off with a kachi-koshi.

For the last three years he has been studying via correspondence at the NHK Gakuen High School, and is now a high school graduate. Congratulations! No danpatsu-shiki pictures so far.

Spoiler

Floral greeting following his final bout on Day 13, which clinched his kachi-koshi.

PtYA3Bbo_o.jpg

At his graduation ceremony, flanked by Wakakoki and Shikoroyama-oyakata (former Sekiwake Terao).

qhxkdgkS_o.jpg

On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 11:19, Akinomaki said:

Danpatsu-shiki of Hokutotsuru at the Hakkaku-beya senshuraku party - after 15 years in sumo. He'lll return to his home prefecture Yamagata and start a new life.

I understand he will be working at a company run by his uncle, with a view to succeeding him when he retires in the future. Only one picture to add, flowers after his final bout.

Spoiler

Itax4BDi_o.jpg

4 hours ago, Akinomaki said:
5 hours ago, Bumpkin said:

Why? Did they retire or not?

They expressed the intention to retire, but the oyakata have obviously not filed the retirement papers in time for the banzuke compilation conference. They'll be on the next banzuke, but maybe had their danpatsu-shiki already.

Regarding Hitenryu, most likely it's because Hakuryu doesn't turn 65 until April 12th, so his wakaimonogashira position isn't yet vacant for Hitenryu. More flowers:

Spoiler

aFI9S1Ft_o.jpg

d9VOILBf_o.jpg

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Yubinhaad said:

Hakuryu

I thought that was the name of a Yokozuna at first.

3 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

Daiseiho retires after 11 years due to an eye injury suffered during keiko last year. One of the more interesting rikishi, I highly recommend reading the story of his entry into ozumo. In April he will start working for one of Japan's largest manufacturers of medical products. (...)

The next cutter is Kazuma Miura, captain of the sumo club at Nippon Medical School.

I almost didn't recognize him in the pictures - it appears he's already dropped almost his entire fighting weight in the 10 months since he was last seen on the honbasho dohyo.

I wonder now, did he do some sort of educational program at Nippon Medical School while active as a rikishi, or is the thematic connection of the cutter's affiliation and Daiseiho's new workplace coincidental?

Also, is it weird that I had forgotten much of his background (per the linked post), even though it was the original reason I've been following his career all this time and I'm even the one who wrote it...? :-S Thank you for jogging my memory. (Bow...) 

Posted (edited)
On 28/03/2019 at 00:26, Yubinhaad said:

Hamatensei retires after an eight year struggle, having made his debut in the 2011 Natsu basho-by-any-other-name. He had a couple of lengthy injury absences, but did at least sign off with a kachi-koshi.

For the last three years he has been studying via correspondence at the NHK Gakuen High School, and is now a high school graduate. Congratulations! No danpatsu-shiki pictures so far.

Hamateisei at NHK Gakuen graduation on the 25th

AS20190401002489_commL.jpgo

And Mr. Amakusa today at the employment ceremony as staff member for the city of Yokohama

AS20190401002478_commL.jpgo AS20190401002477_commL.jpgo AS20190401004070_commL.jpgo

First a training period - working with mage: the danpatsu-shiki is planned for the Natsu-basho in May

(I had to wait till 0h JST to be able to read the full article - 1 each day for Asahi)

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 3

On 28/03/2019 at 03:19, Asashosakari said:

Also, is it weird that I had forgotten much of his background (per the linked post), even though it was the original reason I've been following his career all this time and I'm even the one who wrote it...? :-S Thank you for jogging my memory. (Bow...) 

That linked post was amazing to read through. Everyone was trash-talking soon-to-be-Akiseyama quite heavily, turns out the big guy proved some people wrong by reaching makuuchi.

On 28/03/2019 at 00:51, Gurowake said:
On 28/03/2019 at 00:26, Yubinhaad said:

Hakuryu

I thought that was the name of a Yokozuna at first.

I thought it was the name of a Pokémon

Posted (edited)

The NSK published the intai press conference of Tenkaiho

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Wakaimonogashira Hakuryu was at the Kokugikan today for his final day at work, ahead of reaching the mandatory retirement age of 65 tomorrow.

Hakuryu made his debut in Isenoumi-beya as one of the first uchideshi of former Yokozuna Kashiwado, who would branch out to form Kagamiyama-beya a year later. It took him almost a decade to reach Juryo, but once there he proved hard to dislodge, chalking up 47 basho in the division, still a record among those who never made it to Makuuchi. (Now that I think of it, he came up to fight 24 bouts in Makuuchi, I believe that is also a record for one who was never ranked in Makuuchi)

After almost half a century in ozumo, he would like to travel around Japan now that he has retired.

rEAztnty_o.jpg

A commemorative picture taken at Kagamiyama-beya's senshuraku party after the Haru basho.

From left: Katsunoura-oyakata (former Maegashira Kirinishiki), Hakuryu, Kagamiyama-oyakata (former Sekiwake Tagaryu), Kagamio and Ryusei.

jIeh9Qtg_o.jpg

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
On 01/04/2019 at 15:10, Akinomaki said:

Hamateisei at NHK Gakuen graduation on the 25th

And Mr. Amakusa today at the employment ceremony as staff member for the city of Yokohama

First a training period - working with mage: the danpatsu-shiki is planned for the Natsu-basho in May

Ex-Hamatensei is now staff preparing lunch at a Yokohama municipal primary school. He had started to plan his retirement some months after starting correspondence high school 3 years ago: his ACL snapped again where he already had 2 surgeries at the left knee (with 5 basho kyujo in a row) - the doctors told him then that the next injury there would permanently affect his daily life. Again 4 basho kyujo, but he decided to continue in sumo till graduation. In his last basho at 3-3 on day 13 he managed a yorikiri win to end his career with a kachi-koshi -  his 10th in a career of 42 basho. Shikoroyama-oyakata told him after the bout: "In 8 years your best sumo" https://www.kanaloco.jp/article/entry-165259.html

under that cap, nobody notices that he still has his mage

横浜市立小学校で給食調理員を務める天草さん=同市保土ケ谷区

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 4

On 01/04/2019 at 22:10, Akinomaki said:

AS20190401002478_commL.jpgo AS20190401002477_commL.jpgo AS20190401004070_commL.jpgo

(I had to wait till 0h JST to be able to read the full article - 1 each day for Asahi)

Former sumo wrestler coming to grips with job as civil employee

Instead of his usual “mawashi” loincloth, Issei Amakusa donned a suit and tie for his first day on the job.

Amakusa, 23, who is 183 centimeters tall and weighs 108 kilograms, stood out from the other attendees at the entrance ceremony of the Yokohama city government held here on the morning of April 1.

The former sumo wrestler became a civil servant in April, after competing in the Spring Grand Sumo Tournament and retiring as a wrestler.

He was forced to bow out of the dohyo from the lingering effects of a severe left knee injury.

The Yokohama city governmental official with an unusual first career has begun his second life at the start of a new fiscal year...

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201904290006.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I almost forgot but Hamatensei's danpatsu-shiki finally took place last month as reported by Akinomaki, so here are a few pictures, rather distant and a bit blurry, but better than nothing.

Spoiler

Family members were among the participants.

0VLii5u9_o.jpg

qT34ieux_o.jpg

Zv7W2M0d_o.jpg

Shikoroyama-oyakata (former Sekiwake Terao) makes the final cut.

LXeUXiaz_o.jpg

A speech from Hamatensei.

vQjqkr4q_o.jpg

And a better picture after a better haircut and change of outfit.

imepppaw_o.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

His mother had a cut at Burinosato's danpatsu-shiki yesterday at the Asakusa View hotel, with about 100 attending, especially from his hometown Nanao. He now works as nurse helper in a hospital in Kurume, Fukuoka. http://www.hokkoku.co.jp/subpage/H20190609101.htm

H20190609101_1main.jpg

• Like 3

On ‎09‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 10:18, Akinomaki said:

His mother had a cut at Burinosato's danpatsu-shiki yesterday at the Asakusa View hotel, with about 100 attending, especially from his hometown Nanao. He now works as nurse helper in a hospital in Kurume, Fukuoka.

His earlier shikona, Notononami, was taken from Ishikawa's Noto Peninsula, on which his hometown Nanao is located. The change to Burinosato was inspired by his fisherman father, buri (yellowtail) being a speciality of Nanao. A few more pictures from the danpatsu-shiki:

Spoiler

A few tears were shed before the danpatsu-shiki began.

6oBHT34n_o.jpg

With his parents.

tRKZ7LNa_o.jpg

Danpatsu-shiki under way.

1q5yIC5F_o.jpg

And finally, after another haircut and change of clothes.

1Os1kxnI_o.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1