shumitto

Haru Basho 2019 Discussion [SPOILERS]

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Gurowake said:

Roga will probably be the only remaining roadblock, and they won't meet until closer to the end of the tournament, most likely a playoff because Roga's 7th match will probably be against someone in lower Sd.  While there are some same-stable matches forbidden among the 3-0s, I don't see any combination of results that would lead to Roga vs. Terunofuji outside a playoff.

Terunofuji won his 4th but he looked sluggish on all 4 of his wins.  

Aminishki won his 3rd against clueless Takanofuji.   Enho rolls over even more clueless Kotoyuki.

I thought I'd never say this but Akiseyama looked pretty nimble while beating Azumaryu.  :-)

Edited by robnplunder

3 minutes ago, Kamitsuumi said:

I'm looking forward to Kisenosato's honbasho analyst debut.

Was just coming to post the same. 

49 minutes ago, Kamitsuumi said:

I'm looking forward to Kisenosato's honbasho analyst debut.

He is excellent so far I'm enjoying it a lot, he is already way better than some of the guys that have been doing it for years. Quite impressive for his first time.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Bumpkin said:

He should face Y1e Hakuho (6-0) on Day 8

Well, they've gone for Tochiozan v Hak and Tochinoshin v Ichi on day 8. I think that leaves Hakuho with 7 sanyaku opponents to fight in 7 days. So if Hak and Ichi are going to fight each other some lucky chap will avoid an encounter with the boss.

This basho is turning out to be the most "expected" one I can remember.   Not too many upsets, kyujos, scandals, injuries, bad calls (YMMV), ....   This is almost boring.  :-P

Poor old Nishikigi. He keeps battling away but has nothing to show for it. First to makekoshi tomorrow potentially.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rainoyama said:

He is excellent so far I'm enjoying it a lot, he is already way better than some of the guys that have been doing it for years. Quite impressive for his first time.

I concur. Plenty of fresh insights and keen analysis. The only consolation for his untimely retirement will be looking forward to his future stints in announcer's booth each basho.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

I concur. Plenty of fresh insights and keen analysis. The only consolation for his untimely retirement will be looking forward to his future stints in announcer's booth each basho.

Excactly he did 非常に well aha, he knows sumo and all the guys well so it was really refreshing. I think he is gonna have success in that second part of his career.

I wonder if Yago´s oyakata has ever read Shakespeare. Probably not.

Despite his phenomenal rise up the banzuke, 'ironman' Hattorizakura is, once again, winless. Tomorrow he faces equally winless Toya... will we see the 'awakening' continue? Will we see the blossom in full bloom???..

...I can hardly wait(Laughing...)

2 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Poor old Nishikigi. He keeps battling away but has nothing to show for it. First to makekoshi tomorrow potentially.

Yes, his record completely belies the quality sumo he has been doing, not to mention his tenacity. He has been a joy to watch, even in defeat. Hope he can get some wins. The guy has become a rikishi I root for regularly, if not an outright favorite 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robnplunder said:

This basho is turning out to be the most "expected" one I can remember.   Not too many upsets, kyujos, scandals, injuries, bad calls (YMMV), ....   This is almost boring.  :-P

The lack of injuries is indeed a welcome change from the norm. Although us talking about it is probably a jinx...

1 hour ago, Rainoyama said:

Excactly he did 非常に well aha, he knows sumo and all the guys well so it was really refreshing. I think he is gonna have success in that second part of his career.

Me too, he seemed to open up a lot more. There were genuine smiles from him, and almost glint in his eyes. I think, for the first time in a long while, Kise is finally at peace. It's good to see.

• Like 3

Takayasu Hoktofuji is the match of the basho so far imo. Dare i say great sumo by Ishura hiting, sticking and moving forward. Aoiyama another strong win. Kotoshugiku looking genki. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, since_94 said:

The lack of injuries is indeed a welcome change from the norm. Although us talking about it is probably a jinx...

I was thinking the same (not the jinx). Many rikishi, particularly the higher ranked, seem to be healthier than usual. 

Hakuho v. Shodai is one of the funnier matches of this basho. "Oh, you're vulnerable?" *doink* 

Gotta admire the little dumpling (Takakeisho) doing so well at such a young age. Really hoping he can make it and inject some youthful vigor into the elite ranks. 

As I've said many times before, there's a great rikishi inside Ichinojo somewhere. No, I don't mean he ate one, I mean he has so much potential. But we only ever see it in fleeting glimpses. Every time I think he's finally "unleashed the beast" he ends up falling back on his lackadaisical sumo before the basho is over. Still, I hold out hope.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Kakuryuu's hands not remotely close to being down today. I can't blame him for trying to juice whatever minor advantage he can get, seeing as he hasn't completed a basho in a year- his sumo is looking decidedly iffy. My perhaps obvious take is that he's worried about aggravating an injury. 

• Like 2

It does not look good for Mitakeumi. When he continues like this he will be demoted from sanyaku instead of being promoted to sekiwake

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dwale said:

Hakuho v. Shodai is one of the funnier matches of this basho. "Oh, you're vulnerable?" *doink* 

Gotta admire the little dumpling (Takakeisho) doing so well at such a young age. Really hoping he can make it and inject some youthful vigor into the elite ranks. 

As I've said many times before, there's a great rikishi inside Ichinojo somewhere. No, I don't mean he ate one, I mean he has so much potential. But we only ever see it in fleeting glimpses. Every time I think he's finally "unleashed the beast" he ends up falling back on his lackadaisical sumo before the basho is over. Still, I hold out hope.

The way Shodai flopped and rolled was comedy gold. I’m sure a brush on the chin from Hakuho is a little more potent than normal, but it still looked funny seeing him get dropped by a relatively simple move.

Ichinojo is wrestling like a man who doesn’t want to be the only Mongolian without a yusho. Hope he keeps it up.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 2

Not a single monoii in 7 days. Don't remember that happening.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Not a single monoii in 7 days. Don't remember that happening.

They missed their opportunity on Day 5!  But it is strange indeed.  Let's see how much longer the monoii-nashi streak continues.  Could we see a whole tournament without a single monoii?  I sense that there is a lot more oshi-zumo happening in the Top Division; not sure if that limits the number of close calls or not.  Something has changed.  Perhaps it just good refereeing (with an exception here and there).

• Like 1

On 15/03/2019 at 04:09, Rainoyama said:

Hopefully he'll finish this basho 0-15 and realize he needs one.

I get the feeling he is injured in some way, he is just way off.