shumitto

Haru Basho 2019 Discussion [SPOILERS]

3 minutes ago, Morty said:

Shodai really, really, really needs a tachiai...

Hopefully he'll finish this basho 0-15 and realize he needs one.

Aoiyama winning with authority the last couple  days... He's pretty terrorfiing  when he's on.. Looks like Goedo B showed up..but props to Daishou, that's 2 Ozeki and a Sekiwake down.

I expected Takakeisho to beat Kaisei, but not to launch him into the sun like that, wow. Hokutofuji got some good air, too. Sometimes I feel like it takes almost as much courage to sit at the edge of the dohyo as it does to step onto it!

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Philioyamfugi said:

Aoiyama winning with authority the last couple  days... He's pretty terrorfiing  when he's on.. Looks like Goedo B showed up..but props to Daishou, that's 2 Ozeki and a Sekiwake down.

Aoiyama ain't the prettiest guy, but despite appearances he's quite athletic and dangerous to other maegashira when healthy.

Posted (edited)

Wakatakakage sending Kotoyuki to go buy bento

SvnGiXN.jpg

oKm1ega.jpg

Edited by dada78641
  • Like 3
  • Haha 14

Not sure why I only noticed now, but why does Kakuryū do that hand thing when accepting the envelopes differently from everybody else? It’s normally left, right, center; but he does right, left, center.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Otokonoyama said:

Really don't like the abrupt head-nod in defeat in place of bowing. Perhaps in ozeki & yokozuna, 'cause they earned it

Yeah, couldn't agree more. My personal favourite is the trick of bending over low to pull out the (remaining) sagari that doubles up as a begrudged bow ... (Beinghypocrite...)

Edited by Akōgyokuseki
damn autocorrect

28 minutes ago, ALAKTORN said:

Not sure why I only noticed now, but why does Kakuryū do that hand thing when accepting the envelopes differently from everybody else? It’s normally left, right, center; but he does right, left, center.

At least he doesn't scandalously use his left hand like Asashoryu did.

Not sure why the gyoji interfered in Goeido's match. When did it become unacceptable to put one hand down first and then bring the other down? It wasn't like his fist was over the line, which I have rikishi called up on. It arguably put Goeido off.

12 minutes ago, ryafuji said:

Not sure why the gyoji interfered in Goeido's match. When did it become unacceptable to put one hand down first and then bring the other down? It wasn't like his fist was over the line, which I have rikishi called up on. It arguably put Goeido off.

I thought was over the line

Tochinoshin & Tamawashi must have read some of the earlier posts.   They proved some of our premature death talks about them was, well, premature.

Tochi put himself on a decent position to maintain his Ozeki rank.  Still, by now, he should have 4-2 or better record to give himself a sure chance.  As is, this is going to the wire.

Tamawashi's Ozeki rank will have to wait even with the win on day 6.   His best hope is to get at least 9 wins to get his Ozeki run going for the next basho.   That's also iffy.

Takakeisho, OTOH, is executing well.  A new Ozeki in the making, I hope.

Some interesting stats ahead of tomorow's match ups : Takayasu is 2-3 against Hokutofuji, Goeido 7-5 against Mitakeumi,  Tochinoshin 3-3 against Endo,  Takakeisho 1-3 against Daiesho, and Tamawashi 9-9 against Kaisei.

• Like 1

With the vocabulary thing...

You guys know im the worst "english speaker" of the whole forum but in that case i guess i expressed myself quite clearly. to Resists like that on tawara against a bulldozer like our beloved Tochi (4 more, man! 4 more!) was beau-ti-fooool to me.

"pure poetry" was kind of an exaggeration...we do this a lot in Brazil... Especially when we are talking about not so great guys like Nishikigi when they perform nicely. I do think, in all aspects of life, that - eventually - you can lose in greatness and win's in shame, you can loses like a gentleman or wins like a punk. What can i say? Im a big fan of Marcus Aurelius and Epicurus...And Misspig did an stoic efort that day...:-P

back to the basho; Ichi...why? why you keep giving me false hopes like that? why? (Tearsforming...)

• Like 3

The Yokozuna Ballet co. Presents: Tip-Toe the Tawara.

Ichi No Joke.

Endo ascending the maegashira ranks to get multilated in the joi is like the seasons.

M4w Ichinojo (6-0) is a legitimate yusho contender. He should face Y1e Hakuho (6-0) on Day 8. Then the rest of the joi on Days 9-15. We shall see.

Last tournament, Hakuho was making something of a habit of dipping his toes in chikara mizu water on his visits to the corner of the ring.  Either his toes are healed now or he was told to stop this highly irregular practice!  Methinks what some of us saw back in January will end up being a forgotten chapter in the history of sumo...

56 minutes ago, Jabbamaru said:

You guys know im the worst "english speaker" of the whole forum but in that case i guess i expressed myself quite clearly. to Resists like that on tawara against a bulldozer like our beloved Tochi (4 more, man! 4 more!) was beau-ti-fooool to me.

Don't worry about your English.  We are all here to share our enjoyment of a unique sport.  While I wouldn't say it is equally beautiful to what we all witnessed on day 5, that kind of resistance at the tawara gets parodied on Japanese TV.  Check out the following episode of Zatoichi if you haven't already seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MSufVZQjJE

The sumo segment starts at around 18:33 and the tawara resistance comes at around 20:40.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Akōgyokuseki said:

Yeah, couldn't agree more. My personal favourite is the trick of bending over low to pull out the (remaining) sagari that doubles up as a begrudged bow ... (Beinghypocrite...)

Aye, this always irrationally annoys me!

Terunofuji is undefeated (3-0) down in Jonidan, along with 24 other wrestlers.  Too early to predict a yusho for him, but ya never know.  Just nice to see him doing well on the comeback trail.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Philioyamfugi said:

I thought was over the line

It was in the same place Myogiryu put his fist down in the next bout (I think, watched the highlights last night so might have been another bout but fairly sure it was that one)

2 hours ago, Bumpkin said:

M4w Ichinojo (6-0) is a legitimate yusho contender. He should face Y1e Hakuho (6-0) on Day 8. Then the rest of the joi on Days 9-15. We shall see.

For Ichi to get the yusho, he needs to pile up wins and Hak to lose a few.   If it comes down the two, Hak will take the yusho.   So, win Ichi, win.  I am rooting for you.

Win Taka, win.  I am rooting for your Ozekihood.

Apologies to singing the death song for Tochi & Tama, prematurely.   They still have a shot at KK.

5 hours ago, Bumpkin said:

I thought the same as you, but nope.  He'll face Tochinoshin and then presumably Goeido as originally planned, and eventually the junior sanyaku who are doing well for whom the top 15 ranks are less strict, but at least for Day 8 they aren't letting Tochiozan off the hook of fighting the Yokozuna.  Maybe if the current trend continues of Tochiozan losing and Ichinojo winning, Ichinojo will get Kakuryu and then Takayasu whenever their last maegashira matches are, but they aren't going down that road yet.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Terunofuji is undefeated (3-0) down in Jonidan, along with 24 other wrestlers.  Too early to predict a yusho for him, but ya never know.  Just nice to see him doing well on the comeback trail.

Roga will probably be the only remaining roadblock, and they won't meet until closer to the end of the tournament, most likely a playoff because Roga's 7th match will probably be against someone in lower Sd.  While there are some same-stable matches forbidden among the 3-0s, I don't see any combination of results that would lead to Roga vs. Terunofuji outside a playoff.

Edited by Gurowake
  • Like 1