shumitto

Haru Basho 2019 Discussion [SPOILERS]

9 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

[re. Enho] They're saying a shoulder injury.

That is going to put a serious crimp on his style, limiting what is his most dangerous weapon. I hope he has good Plans B and C.

11 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

They're saying a shoulder injury.

Speaking of injury that wasn't Hakuho being unhappy with himself at the end today. Considering the awkward fall at the end and the grimace I'd say he injured something. Probably a groin pull or thigh. Nishikigi is 0-5 but he's still very strong and good at resisting. I expect a big slap at the tachi ai along with a lot of pulling and slapping from Hakuho on Day 6. 

Nice to see shades of the healthy version of Tochinoshin today, I just hope he doesn't aggravate his injuries. Meanwhile, Mitakeumi and Takakeisho both lost. Wtf. >.< 

Everyone expects Hakuho to be on the leader board after day five, but Goeido, Ichinojo and Kotoshogiku? It's a little strange. However, I would love to see Goeido take the cup in his home prefecture. With Hakuho looking shaky, he has a chance!

As for Enho, he had marks from cupping on the shoulder already before the taping  so this isn't a new injury. Probably it's been aggravated much more now though. 

Nice to watch how thinking-man Tamawashi cleverly nullified Takakeisho's modus operandi. If everybody took a page from that book, Takakeisho wouldn't get anywhere near Ozeki soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Lucas Podolsky, German national Player and current Vissel Kobe striker is an avid sumo fan, and came to watch today. Later pictures with Hakuhou. Before the basho he went to Kokonoe beya . donned a mawashi, and faced some Sandanme guys. "Th important thing is the tachiai. Most everything is decided then. Guessing what the rikishi will be doing before the tachiai is my favorite thing," he said. Yusho? "Hakuhou. He's 5-0!" said Podolski. Picture? Later.

D1oAsiHUkAAbXqg.jpgD1oAr8xUwAEB-nd.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Man, I miss belt-man Hakuhō… is it his injured elbows that don’t allow him to go for the belt anymore?

7 hours ago, specialweek 2 said:

Was Okinoumi robbed?

If one watches the slow-motion replay, one would be inclined to say: "He was robbed!"  As Murray Johnson commented: "Not even a monoii, and it was wrong."  

I would love to give Kimura Konosuke a pass, because when you are up on the ring, there are always angles that prevent the gyoji from getting the full picture.  If a mistake was made, it falls upon the shimpan judges sitting around the ring to call for a review.  My immediate feeling was that the judges were asleep at the job.  The shimpancho was Onomatsu, and he should have been able to see that Okinoumi may not have stepped out before Chiyoyairyu touched the dohyo, or at least that it was close.  I'm not quite sure who the shimpan was sitting on the west side of the dohyo, but he definitely had the best view, and arguably was in the best position to signal for a monoii.  But no monoii was called.  There had been no monoii called in the first four days, and perhaps the shimpan have settled in to a "let's not interfere (i.e., NOT do our JOB)" attitude.  

I suspect more than a few people realised that a bad call was made (haven't scoured the Japanese press), but I suspect the judges will face some criticism, and we will start seeing more monoii in the days to come.  Too late to help Okinoumi though.

5 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Lucas Podolsky, German national Player and current Vissel Kobe striker is an avid sumo fan, and came to watch today. Later pictures with Hakuhou. Before the basho he went to Kokonoe beya . donned a mawashi, and faced some Sandanme guys. "Th important thing is the tachiai. Most everything is decided then. Guessing what the rikishi will be doing before the tachiai is my favorite thing," he said. Yusho? "Hakuhou. He's 5-0!" said Podolski. Picture? Later.

20190314s00005000311000p_view.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Poldi probably is the most popular German Football player at the moment. He's a hero, but he always stayed the nice, humorous boy from the steel worker class neighbourhood. Absolutely down to earth, a guy you want to have as your buddy.

• Like 3

What happened to Hak? Stiff neck?

Oki-Elvis: worst call eveeeeer...

Five consecutive days of Good Ichinojo!

It still amuses me how small he fights--even when he's on point he tends to give ground at the tachi-ai, shuffle back, and throw from the belt.

But that's my baby.

While Enho did/does have cupping marks on his upper back near his neck, those have been around for a number of tournaments now.  Seeing the haphazard taping job on his right shoulder today suggests (to me, anyway) that this is a new injury probably sustained in his day 4 bout versus Kotoeko.  While going down to defeat by an arm-bar throw is dangerous in and of itself, Kotoeko used Enho's left arm for the throw.  Therefore, one possible speculation is that he injured his right shoulder in the landing (after all, he did go down pretty hard).  So as #orandosho suggested, this will definitely crimp his style over the next 10 days.  Good luck, Mighty Mouse.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Therefore, one possible speculation is that he injured his right shoulder in the landing (after all, he did go down pretty hard).  So as #orandosho suggested, this will definitely crimp his style over the next 10 days.  Good luck, Mighty Mouse.

No speculation- it's exactly what happened and is being reported since this morning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

No speculation- it's exactly what happened and is being reported since this morning.

Just watching his fall in the bout and the heavy tape job the next day said it all.   I bet my farm that Enho is hurt more than he let on.  I hope he does not make his injury worse than it is.

Posted (edited)
On 13/03/2019 at 13:13, Jabbamaru said:

Even losing, and considering Tochi's condition, what Nishikigi did on tawara was a thing of beauty. Pure poetry.

In a competitive contest, losing is never beautiful. When someone loses and does it with class, his efforts can be described as valiant or gallant. Other positive words may apply. But I've never heard them described as being poetic or "a thing of beauty".

That's like saying, "---------------- lost to Hakuho but he looked absolutely wonderful doing it".  To me, that doesn't make any sense at all.  

Edited by sekitori

13 minutes ago, sekitori said:

In a competitive contest, losing is never beautiful. When someone loses and does it with class, his efforts can be described as valiant or gallant. Other positive words may apply. But I've never heard them described as being poetic or "a thing of beauty".

That's like saying, "---------------- lost to Hakuho but he looked absolutely wonderful doing it".  To me, that doesn't make any sense at all.  

I think it’s nitpicking, but I’ll play. What if two rikishi throw one another simultaneously, in one of those spectacular finishes we’ve seen hundreds of times over the years? The classic shitanage/uwatenage struggle at the edge. Someone has to lose because that’s how sumo works – one will touch down a fraction of a second earlier than the other. It doesn’t mean they weren’t both pulling off a beautiful move.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sekitori said:

For what it's worth, I think that valour and gallantry are breathtakingly beautiful even in defeat; Maybe especially in defeat. Likewise truth, fortitude, and other admirable qualities.

I'll admit to being a little less in tune with the poetry part. I might be inclined to use the word poetry metaphorically to describe a brilliant display of strategy or refined technique; it could be that something like that was what Jabbamaru had in mind. It would also be possible to compare Nishkigi's noble resistance to similar deeds you can read about in narrative poetry like in an epic poem, though that's more of a stretch.

• Like 1

In Juryo, Enho almost beat Chiyomaru but no cigar.  His MK looming.  The Taka-Taka twins lost.  The other brothers (Hidenoumi, Tobizarun) won.  Kotoyuki ran a mile after his loss.  Shimanoumi is on fire in the last two basho, looking like a sure makuuchi material.  Mitoryu looking like he will never make it to Makuuchi.   Ditto for Aminishiki despite today's win. 

Posted (edited)

Not been able to see yesterday’s or today’s action as for some reason the QQ stream was down, but happy to see Tochinoshin pull off a couple of ‘upsets’ and put himself in a stronger position to MK going into the weekend. He still has plenty of tough opponents to face but three wins on the bounce has done his chances the world of good. 

Edited by Eikokurai

Is Goeido's confidence so fragile that a scolding by the gyoji for having a fist partly beyond the shikiri-sen will break it?

Goeido had a good start but am I the only one who thinks he jumped the gun a few times at the tachiai ? When he's finally asked to put his hands down properly he loses... anyway nice win for Takakeisho, excellent throw from Ryuden.

Shodai really, really, really needs a tachiai...

• Like 1