shumitto

Haru Basho 2019 Discussion [SPOILERS]

Interesting match in Jonidan tomorrow... Roga vs. Omote

The former has started his career 8-0 so far we all know that :) But Omote is quietly on a 5 fight win streak when he turned around Hatsu from 1-2 all the way to 5-2 at Jonidan 60 and also won his opener here on day 1. Two men in form, who gonna stay on a roll? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

Thanks. I thought I was and went back to work too early yesterday. Big mistake.

To keep this on topic, does anyone think there’s a Tochinoshin intai around the corner? If he MKs this time, I don’t see him having enough for 10 wins in May for the instant return. At 31, seemingly permanently injured, and with the ignominy of being one of the shortest-reigning Ozeki in record, perhaps he’d be tempted to call it a day.

I don't think so. It seems few rikishi retire after being demoted from ozeki these days, and even when they do it's usually long-standing ones like Kaio. I'm sure he would carry on until he can no longer compete in makuuchi.

13 hours ago, sekitori said:

It seems that if Hakuho is not totally dominant during a match, people will often say that for a moment, he came close to losing. Despite the fact that his opponent gets some sort of short-lived advantage, he almost always overcomes it. A fairly healthy Hakuho, even though he may not be at his very best, is still consistently better than any other rikishi around. 

Things like that are notable precisely because Hakuho is so skilled. Nothing strange about that.

11 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Enho, Enho, Enho, the giant killer!   Takagenji had no clue what to do with the little dude.   Are we going to see Enho in Makuuchi in the next basho? 

We'll see him in Makuuchi tomorrow as an appetizer against Kotoekou.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

To keep this on topic, does anyone think there’s a Tochinoshin intai around the corner? If he MKs this time, I don’t see him having enough for 10 wins in May for the instant return. At 31, seemingly permanently injured, and with the ignominy of being one of the shortest-reigning Ozeki in record, perhaps he’d be tempted to call it a day.

I don't think he will Intai unless his injury is career ending.   Kotoshogiku is still in Makuuchi.  Terunofuji is wherever he is now.   At the end of the day, Tochi is in Ozumo & Japan for paycheck and the money is too good to quit.  

7 hours ago, Morty said:

One Ozeki run probably cactus (Tamawashi).

One Ozeki run faces a set back from a guy who beats him regularly but is still , probably,  in good shape for ten wins (Takakeisho).

One Ozeki needing a KK to maintain his rank looking really shaky (Tochinoshin).

Hey, maybe Shodai really is the next Ozeki.

No, wait. He's Shodai. Never mind.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Midoriyama said:

Interesting match in Jonidan tomorrow... Roga vs. Omote

Wait, there's both an Omote and an Ura on the banzuke at the moment?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A certain unnamed commentator may not be particularly impressed with Tomokaze, but I think he has some real potential.  He is just making his debut in the Top Division, and he is holding his own.  He is tied with Yago as the fifth heaviest rikishi in the Top Division, but among the heavyweights, he appears to have greater agility.  (Maybe I am just imagining things.)  I am not saying he will be heading straight up to the sanyaku ranks, but I think he outshines some of the other relative newcomers who are struggling to live up to expectations...  These observations are probably premature, but I enjoy playing couch-sumo-scout, if I can call it that.

• Like 2

Tomokaze is a 24 yo, 1.83m, 180 kg tsuki oshi guy who's learning hatakikomi from the master himself. No wonder he's never been MK yet.

Edited by Rainoyama

6 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

A certain unnamed commentator may not be particularly impressed with Tomokaze, but I think he has some real potential.  He is just making his debut in the Top Division, and he is holding his own.  He is tied with Yago as the fifth heaviest rikishi in the Top Division, but among the heavyweights, he appears to have greater agility.  (Maybe I am just imagining things.)  I am not saying he will be heading straight up to the sanyaku ranks, but I think he outshines some of the other relative newcomers who are struggling to live up to expectations...  These observations are probably premature, but I enjoy playing couch-sumo-scout, if I can call it that.

I agree.   He looks good at his current level, has age on his side, and the weight (:-)).   I didn't know he is that heavy.  

Ichinojo was quick on day 3 (perhaps the sprint warm up he did prior to coming into the arena ;-)).   All 3 of his bouts were impressive.   But one crushing defeat and he may again fall to pieces.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rainoyama said:

Tomokaze is a 24 yo, 1.83m, 180 kg

Not that it's a big difference, but Abema TV has him at 181kg...  

Things are slowly getting clearer at least. Tochinoshin's days as an ozeki are numbered after another quick loss today, Tamawashi's ozeki run is pretty much done already (to be fair, he had a meh start at Hatsu before winning the yusho, but still) and... random non-henka by Ichinojo because he forgot who he was for a second there I suppose.

I wasn’t able to see any of today’s action because the QQ stream wasn’t active, but looking at the results it seems this is Ishiura’s basho. 

More seriously, if Tochinoshin can maintain a 1-1 win-loss record for the rest of the basho, he will sneak over the kachikoshi line. Mind you, he still has to face most of the sanyaku and Y/O, so perhaps that’s asking too much.

Tochinoshin had his first ok tachi ai, managed to get a strong grip but Nishikigi resisted well and it's clear that Tochi is not at full power. That win was not easy at all. Let see if he can beat 6 more guys. Nice bounce back from Takakeisho today. Mitakeumi looking really good again wow is he really injured still ? Tamawashi is having a terrible start. Hakuhou looked bad again today after a convincing win yesterday, I believe he'll start getting a few losses when facing more serious guys.

1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

I wasn’t able to see any of today’s action because the QQ stream wasn’t active, but looking at the results it seems this is Ishiura’s basho. 

More seriously, if Tochinoshin can maintain a 1-1 win-loss record for the rest of the basho, he will sneak over the kachikoshi line. Mind you, he still has to face most of the sanyaku and Y/O, so perhaps that’s asking too much.

Tochinoshin beat winless Nishikigi.   Tochi looked unimpressive again in winning.   IMO, I don't see how he can win 6 more, not when most of sanyukus are healthier than him. 

What does Ishiura, Goedio, Ichinojo, Kotoshogiku, and Hakuho have in common in this basho?  They are undefeated at 4:0.   Koto's 4:0 start is surprising, and an welcome sight. 

Enho lost to Kotoeko today, winning more fans in losing.  

• Like 1

Tamawashi might had better switch back to his old mawashi color or something, 'cause...

Yeah, Tochinoshin still isn't right, but how strong are Nishikigi's calves to defend on the bales for that long? That was incredibly tense, waiting to see if Tochinoshin could get him out or not. Healthy Tochinoshin would have heaved him out like a sack of trash. 

I wonder if Goeido can maintain this good form for the rest of the basho?

I love Ikioi's never-say-die attitude and his dedication to sumo, but.....can someone put me in touch with a kyokai doctor, so he can write up a sicknote for him? I'll pay for everything...(Laughing...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Akōgyokuseki said:

I love Ikioi's never-say-die attitude and his dedication to sumo, but.....can someone put me in touch with a kyokai doctor, so he can write up a sicknote for him? I'll pay for everything...(Laughing...)

You could get a note from Hippocrates, it wouldn't make a difference. Ikioi won't sit out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Enho lost to Kotoeko today, winning more fans in losing.

Enho got his left hand on Kotoeko's mawashi and attempted to execute a left-hand shitatenage throw.  But strength and positioning favoured Kotoeko, and wee Enho ended up biting the dirt (almost literally).  Not sure if I am the only one, but all the sand in Enho's hair after the bout made him look rather like Goku or Gohan from Dragon Ball Z.  The guy (i.e., Enho) has heart in spades and luckily dodged injury in this bout.  Win or lose, what's there not to like?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

The guy (i.e., Enho) has heart in spades and luckily dodged injury in this bout.

He won't dodge it forever. If he leaves them nothing but Kotenage to go for he's going to run into someone who isn't so concerned about injuring his opponent sooner or later.

1 hour ago, Amamaniac said:

Win or lose, what's there not to like?

The way of submarine sumo is the thing i really hate. I am hoping for a loss of Enho at every bout

3 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

all the sand in Enho's hair after the bout made him look rather like Goku or Gohan from Dragon Ball Z.

Cruella De Vil came to my mind

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4StCKOOmOJ1t5lgniNjp

• Haha 1