shumitto

Haru Basho 2019 Discussion [SPOILERS]

5 hours ago, RPedro44 said:

As for Tamawashi, does he really want to be an Ozeki? At his age does he want to go through all the trouble and stress of being an ozeki? He has accomplished what he wanted in January and can now retire as a happy man.

Tamawashi has clearly stated his goal before the basho: do the Kyokutenho and go on as long as possible - gambarizing too much for an ozeki promotion and risk the unblemished kyujo-free career is not on his agenda. http://abematimes.com/posts/5856210

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Enho, Enho, Enho, the giant killer!   Takagenji had no clue what to do with the little dude.   Are we going to see Enho in Makuuchi in the next basho? 

Aminishiki seems to be on his last legs.   It sucks to get old.  

A few here mentioned Goeido as an yusho contender.   It's only day two and he beat the ones he should as an Ozeki.    Was he "that" overwhelming in beating Endo & Hokutofuji?    I will believe it when he starts 5-0.  

Edited by robnplunder

Terutsuyoshi is finding things tough at the top.

Is Ikioi wearing shin pads? Wrong sport, mate.

Edited by Eikokurai

Yago needs to learn how to slap back.  He got the arms for it.   Shohozan had his way with him today. 

Not getting easier for Terusuyoshi who goes against Meisei on day 4.  Meisei has been good at this level.

Sokokurai is looking good.  Two more basho and he can be back in Makuuchi.

Always a joy to see the arrogant Chiyoshoma get launched. Especially when drinking Kirin after work. Nice work, Kotoeko.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Is Ikioi wearing shin pads? Wrong sport, mate.

Yesterday the Japanese commentary mentioned that his left calf was purple and swollen under the supporter.

35 minutes ago, since_94 said:

Always a joy to see the arrogant Chiyoshoma get launched. Especially when drinking Kirin after work. Nice work, Kotoeko.

Chiyoshoma and Gagamaru look pissed every time they lose, especially, when they lose by henka.   I love to see them lose just to see look on their face.

Sorry, no Ozeki  for Tamawashi. 

... and that's how you beat Takakeisho.   Mita has figured him out, beating him 5 in a row.    

Edited by robnplunder

6 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

... and that's how you beat Takakeisho.   Mita has figured him out, beating him 5 in a row.   

And again we see Takakeisho looking somewhat flummoxed when he can't execute Plan A.

Tochinoshin looked bad in losing.   Hokutofuji is no slouch but Tochi didn't' put up much of a fight.    It's only day 3 but I suspect he's not in shape to go KK in this basho.  

OTHO, Goeido looked strong in winning (again).   I am beginning to believe.

1 hour ago, Kamitsuumi said:

Yesterday the Japanese commentary mentioned that his left calf was purple and swollen under the supporter.

Injured foot on the one side, the wasp thing inflammation (cellulitis) on the other - on day 1 Ikioi won in spite of a fever of 40 degrees C.

Edited by Akinomaki

Quite amazing that the only bandages Mitakeumi is wearing are on his wrists.

• Like 1

Hakuho reminded me of a tome between two book ends....nice touch choosing Terutsuyoshi as his tachi-mochi.

It's sad to see, but it's looks like the stars are fading for Aminishiki....it's hard to believe I was just a kid when this chap started his career. He owns kabu, so maybe it's the time to join Kise and Takekaze?...I'd love to see him in one of those blue kyokai bomber jackets, he'd look ace :-D

Edited by Akōgyokuseki
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Akinomaki said:

Injured foot on the one side, the wasp thing inflammation (cellulitis) on the other - on day 1 Ikioi won in spite of a fever of 40 degrees C.

Well, now I feel lame that I took today off from my desk job with a fever.

One Ozeki run probably cactus (Tamawashi).

One Ozeki run faces a set back from a guy who beats him regularly but is still , probably,  in good shape for ten wins (Takakeisho).

One Ozeki needing a KK to maintain his rank looking really shaky (Tochinoshin).

Re the latter, I was surprised when he went on his run and made Ozeki. Before that he had been the epitome of a yo-yo rikishi, too good for the rank and file, but always getting chewed up in the meat grinder when he got to the Joi. He is a long time favourite of mine but I never thought he was Ozeki material. Maybe it is just the fact he was, and is, always injured and so never able to perform to his potential that led to that impression, I don't know. Regardless, the injuries are getting him now, he clearly has no leg power, and given his preferred style of sumo that is never going to be good. I suspect he will be a Sekiwake next basho.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Don't. Doing anything, especially sumo, with a 40 degree fever, is extremely bad for you and can lead to death or permanent disability. Amazed he was allowed to compete in that condition.

Edit: actually not amazed, this is sumo...

Edited by Morty
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jakusotsu said:

Quite amazing that the only bandages Mitakeumi is wearing are on his wrists.

Maybe he has recovered from his injury in January (after all, it did not prevent him from returning to the ring and getting his KK).  Frankly speaking, I don't think tape does much for quadricep injuries, and so it isn't surprising that Mitakeumi has done away with it.  Guess Mitakeumi is like Endo in that both wrestlers don't use taping as a crutch or to prevent re-injuring themselves...

6 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Don't sweat it. (There is a pun there somewhere.). Raja Pradhan mentioned in his commentary today that Ikioi should have gone kyujo in this tournament, but is fighting "for the (Osaka) fans" since he is one of the local boys in the Top Division.  That fan dedication garners him great respect in my book.  Heck, he didn't pull out of the previous tournament after Kagayaki split his forehead open...  Tough as nails.

45 minutes ago, Akōgyokuseki said:

Enho fan's, rejoice! ♥....

Thanks to MISELET SUMO

Edit: forgot to add get well soon, Eikokurai! (If you see this post)

Thanks. I thought I was and went back to work too early yesterday. Big mistake.

To keep this on topic, does anyone think there’s a Tochinoshin intai around the corner? If he MKs this time, I don’t see him having enough for 10 wins in May for the instant return. At 31, seemingly permanently injured, and with the ignominy of being one of the shortest-reigning Ozeki in record, perhaps he’d be tempted to call it a day.

Edited by Eikokurai

Kotoshougiku looks very solid this basho, good tachiai and awareness. Still seems weaker than in his heyday, but it would be nice to see him have a resurgence of some sort. 

• Like 3

I never really payed attention to Daieisho but now he's sitting at 2-1 at M2 after beating Takayasu. Too early to tell if he can hold on to his good form but as far as early surprised go he's up there.

Daieisho and Nishikigi are blooming, always nice to see rikishi hitting their primes and pulling off upsets.

45 minutes ago, YoungSumo said:

I never really payed attention to Daieisho but now he's sitting at 2-1 at M2 after beating Takayasu. Too early to tell if he can hold on to his good form but as far as early surprised go he's up there.

Same. He almost had Tochinoshin on day 1 and he is at his highest rank. Impressive. He is facing Hakuhou and probably Kakuryu next.