shumitto

Haru Basho 2019 Discussion [SPOILERS]

Harumafuji's dohyo iri was truly a thing of beauty!

But for me, Hakuho's remains the best, followed by Kakuryu.

I was lucky to see Kisenosato's first yusho, but didn't get back to Japan in time to see him perform a dohyo iri. But I wasn't really impressed from what I saw from the many videos of him performing it. He never looked entirely comfortable to me.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Rocks said:

I don't know if either will ever get there. But I have to say that I've never been terrible impressed with Hakuho and Kaluryu's dohyo-iri. To me Kisenosato was better and Harumafuji was miles better than the lot. 

Aesthetically, I always preferred Harumafuji's; he had lovely poise and grace and an even build, which complimented it nicely.  Kisenosato's was solemn (in a good way) but I didn't appreciate Hakuhou's until I saw it in person.  His stage presence is very powerful and the build-up to the stomping is intense.  It's strange how this never seems to really translate on camera.  

• Like 4

17 hours ago, TakaTochi said:

I'm a big fan of Kotoshougiku, too.  Where Tochinoshin is a forklift, Kotoshougiku is a bucking bronco.  Hard to be as explosive as he is at 35.

Oh. too bad, i didn't know that. was hoping for a long 8-10 year ride with Kotoshogiku.

Edited by sahaven111
i meant kotoshogiku

43 minutes ago, sahaven111 said:

Oh. too bad, i didn't know that. was hoping for a long 8-10 year ride with Kotoshogiku.

You missed that time period. He is still a pretty good at mid Makuuchi, but just can not cut it in the upper ranks anymore. His 14-1 Yusho in 2016 was really fun to watch.

Sadly he probably only has a year or two left before his body gives out.

• Sad 1

On 26/03/2019 at 17:16, ryafuji said:

That was deliberate, surely?

Shirley.

18 hours ago, Benevolance said:

I also firmly believe it was criminal that the YDC nixed his frog taunt. Decorum, schmorum. Not on this forum! 

Did they?

They did.

Or maybe I did? It was probably me. Pulling strings. Like a boss. 

2 minutes ago, Atenzan said:

Is he going to do any bouts? 

The fact that the pec is OK is very encouraging, but I wouldn't sleep on a torn bicep, literally or otherwise. 

My sources don't say, and anyhow, I don't have time to look into this as I am looking for an edible hat at an affordable price..

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Pro-tip: if you put a pancake on your head, it becomes an edible hat. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

My sources don't say, and anyhow, I don't have time to look into this as I am looking for an edible hat at an affordable price..

Boil any hat in a pressure cooker for 10 hours. 

4 hours ago, Morningstar said:

His 14-1 Yusho in 2016 was really fun to watch.

That stopped almost a decade long yusho run by foreign born rikishis. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I am looking for an edible hat at an affordable price..

This looks like a great and delicious idea. And another song for your next gig :-D

Spoiler

On 26/03/2019 at 17:34, Furuya said:

The new era's name will be announced on Monday April 1st, which seems poor timing from my perspective, but probably not a Japanese one. :D

It is usually announced when the new emperor ascends upon the death of his predecessor. There is no precedent for an era to be named before the ceremony to enthrone the new emperor. An announcement pre-empting the emperor's death would have been seen as offensive in the past. The present solution is a compromise.

21 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

But who is Yakov David?

Ben Goshi's brother.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

But who is Yakov David?

Maybe universal boy, the cheap version - to personalize the hat might cost extra, but you want to eat YOUR hat

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Morningstar said:

You missed that time period. He is still a pretty good at mid Makuuchi, but just can not cut it in the upper ranks anymore. His 14-1 Yusho in 2016 was really fun to watch.

Watching him humpty-bumpty-chugging everyone and their siblings out of the dohyo day in and day out, after spending quite a while being a likable average ozeki. That was an enjoyable fornight to watch.

11 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

But who is Yakov David?

He's a young man who has his name written in hebrew on a hat shaped chocolate bar mitzvah cake. Do I need to say more ?

Edited by Rainoyama
  • Like 1

On 22/03/2019 at 16:26, ryafuji said:
On 22/03/2019 at 16:08, Yubinhaad said:

Hanakaze, the only rikishi whose career has spanned the entirety of the Heisei era, started and finished it in a rather unfortunate way...

Only three of those in 33 years though. Not bad at all.

And he very nearly managed to put the third 0-7 right in the middle, too - it was in the 90th of 181 Heisei era tournaments.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Dear mods,  is it possible to establish a separate thread for Hakukou's injury? I think it warrants its own thread. 

2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Dear mods,  is it possible to establish a separate thread for Hakukou's injury? I think it warrants its own thread. 

• Like 2

Just realised that no gold stars were surrendered by the two Yokozunas on the banzuke, who completed the Spring Tourney without going kyujo.  I'm not sure what is rarer, no gold stars or no Yokozuna pulling out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On ‎23‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 18:20, Kintamayama said:

The sand he kicks up can fill a beach.

I think most of it went in the shin-pans face and that is the only reason he missed it...