shumitto

Haru Basho 2019 Discussion [SPOILERS]

7 hours ago, Jaakunakunshu said:

To be honest I don't agree at all.

Feel free to disagree... actually this is kind of the point of my post there...No one's here should take things too seriously and starts violent battles over opinions. its always foolish to be mounted by your hobby horse... There's no forum members banzuke's...We all equals here, aren't we? by the way...seems like, as i sayed, Haks injury is not intaing type, hum?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Jabbamaru said:

Feel free to disagree... actually this is kind of the point of my post there...No one's here should take things too seriously and starts violent battles over opinions. its always foolish to be mounted by your hobby horse... There's no forum members banzuke's...We all equals here, aren't we? by the way...seems like, as i sayed, Haks injury is not intaing type, hum?

Can you imagine a forum without a disagreement?   That only happens in North Korean websites.

I must say that like any other forums, we have some here who take disagreements as insult to their intelligence, or look down on others' posts.  Worse yet, they hold grudge and wait on unsuspecting member's posts to pounce on when they think the member made a mistake (including grammar mistake of all things).   Overall though, this forum is well managed by the moderators.   Kudos to them.

Edited by robnplunder
  • Like 3

I know...True. i used to moderate a huge forum about...mmm...lets say... herbs cultivation... and it was pure hell. SF is indeed well moderated. But i do see lots of unnecessary arogance and dumb discussions.

9 minutes ago, Jabbamaru said:

I know...True. i used to moderate a huge forum about...mmm...lets say... herbs cultivation... and it was pure hell. SF is indeed well moderated. But i do see lots of unnecessary arogance and dumb discussions.

Might the "herbs" have had something to do with that? ;-)

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Jabbamaru said:

I can live with dumb discussions since the easy thing to do is to stay away.

I don't do well against the arrogant posters - "I have been in sumo longer than you, therefore, I am right."     I think they are unnecessarily harsh on newbies who are just learning about ozumo.   Newbies are going to post funny & wrong stuff but that's part of the learning and enjoying the ozumo going forward.  

• Like 2

I wonder who would win between the two incarnations of Good Ichinojo: The Leaning Tower of Ichinojo, or Slapdown of Justice Ichinojo?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, robnplunder said:

I can live with dumb discussions since the easy thing to do is to stay away.

I don't do well against the arrogant posters - "I have been in sumo longer than you, therefore, I am right."     I think they are unnecessarily harsh on newbies who are just learning about ozumo.   Newbies are going to post funny & wrong stuff but that's part of the learning and enjoying the ozumo going forward.  

I have been in sumo longer than you, therefore, I am right. And don't ever forget that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

26 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

I have been in sumo longer than you, therefore, I am right. And don't ever forget that.

If you're right, then the rest of us mere mortals are left...

(A) ... just "left";       (B) in awe;       or (C) running around the dohyo like chickens with their heads cut off.

28 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

If you're right, then the rest of us mere mortals are left...

(A) ... just "left";       (B) in awe;       or (C) running around the dohyo like chickens with their heads cut off.

(D) behind.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Hi, Kintamayama sama.   Wakarimasu.

• Like 1

The bad part isn't uninformed newbies anyway, it's posters who've been here for a while and still make the same dumb comments they did in their own uninformed-newbie phase. Of course, these are usually people who don't think they ever had such a phase.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

I don’t think there’s a person on this forum who couldn’t benefit from a little more self-awareness.

• Haha 1

and having just won the last Heisei Era basho

I think it's probably fair to say that Hakuho won the Heisei era

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

(Iamnotworthy...)

19 minutes ago, Benevolance said:

I think it's probably fair to say that Hakuho won the Heisei era

He may have won 42 tournaments in the Heisei era but he didn’t win 140. 

#hakuhoisaloser

Edited by Eikokurai

2 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

The bad part isn't uninformed newbies anyway, it's posters who've been here for a while and still make the same dumb comments they did in their own uninformed-newbie phase. Of course, these are usually people who don't think they ever had such a phase.

... and that's the kind of arrogance in some people here.   Your definition of "dumb" comments may differ from others'   Also, so what if they are what you consider "dumb" comments?   This is an internet forum when there are very varying degree of opinions.   Calling out someone's post as dumb is in itself a manifestation of an arrogance in my personal opinion.   I don't believe I was ever arrogant enough to say someone's comment is dumb in this forum.   If I did, I apologize.  

Edited by robnplunder
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Truly a great "Get off my lawn, you wet behind the ears whippersnapper!" type reply. (Laughing...)

1 hour ago, robnplunder said:

...    I don't believe I was ever arrogant enough to say someone's comment is dumb in this forum.  

I don't think I have called someone's comment dumb, but I have seen a lot of dumb comments here. :-S

Newbies are expected to make occasional uninformed comments.  There are some people who are damned peristent  at it.

Edited by Asojima

8 minutes ago, Asojima said:

Newbies are expected to make occasional uninformed comments.  There are some people who are damned peristent  at it.

Either they get better over time or quit coming to the forum.   The rest, we [should] accept them as they are.  Also, I suggest that if you don't like someone (or the person's posts), you have option to ignore.   

2 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

Either they get better over time or quit coming to the forum.   The rest, we [should] accept them as they are.  Also, I suggest that if you don't like someone (or the person's posts), you have option to ignore.   

My Ignore List is pretty extensive.

What actually happens when you ignore someone? You can’t see their posts?

I’ve never ignored anyone as the number of regular contributors to this forum isn’t that high as it is. If I can’t see their posts, there wouldn’t be much left to read.

Listening to greybeards* discussing newbies, for better and for worse, puts me in mind of my new years resolution, which was to talk less and listen more.

I'm tempted to say that loving sumo comes first and the rest follows with time. But I think that it's more accurate to say that for those who love learning and sumo both the rest follows with time. Even that doesn't seem quite right, though-- I've been following sumo for over a decade now(Still early in the life-cycle of a sumo fan, but not quite fresh off the turnip-truck.), and simply lack the ambition to acquire the depth of knowledge and expertise displayed by the old-guard on this forum. I love sumo, and I do want to keep on learning more as the years go by, but I'm content to take little bites.

In the meantime, I get a lot of satisfaction listening to wiser heads converse and occasionally raise my voice to share my feelings about the occasional thing that really moves me.

I'm grateful that the folks on this forum are so willing to inform and guide people. It's the most attractive quality of the community.

26 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

I’ve never ignored anyone as the number of regular contributors to this forum isn’t that high as it is. If I can’t see their posts, there wouldn’t be much left to read.

You've been posting at a feverish pace these last few months though, Eikokurai. If you ignored any of the other really frequent posters, the forum would no doubt seem to be standing still.

*Speaking figuratively.

Edited by Shio-kago
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

When I mentioned an option of ignore, I meant figuratively (just don't read or respond to certain folks' posts).     

This forum can use more newbies, and regular posters.   In the last 15 days of sumo, only a few people were posting while the bouts were "live."    Sometimes, it was just me or Eikokurai, with a few others coming in and out.  IIRC, there used to be more.   Then, until the next basho 6 weeks later, there will be only sporadic posts by limited number of posters.    I am member of other forums and this forum sometime strikes me as a league of their own (insiders, experts, long time sumo lovers, long time forum members). 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Shio-kago said:

You've been posting at a feverish pace these last few months though, Eikokurai. If you ignored any of the other really frequent posters, the forum would no doubt seem to be standing still.

*Speaking figuratively.

Indeed. Some may say I post too much and I’m sure I’ve made my way onto some ignore lists as a result! I was a lurker for a long time, thanks to technical issues that stopped me signing up, but it’s fair to say that I’ve taken to it rather enthusiastically. Haha. It’s just nice to have somewhere to speak about this interest of mine that most people think is weird. As a sumo fan you don’t get the water cooler conversations on a Monday that you do when you follow something more mainstream. After years of silence it’s nice to be able to discuss sumo with other fans at last.

12 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

When I mentioned an option of ignore, I meant figuratively (just don't read or respond to certain folks' posts).     

This forum can use more newbies, and regular posters.   In the last 15 days of sumo, only a few people were posting while the bouts were "live."    Sometimes, it was just me or Eikokurai, with a few others coming in and out.  IIRC, there used to be more.   Then, until the next basho 6 weeks later, there will be only sporadic posts by limited number of posters.    I am member of other forums and this forum sometime strikes me as a league of their own (insiders, experts, long time sumo lovers, long time forum members). 

I’m fortunate that I’m more or less in the time zone for sumo, being based in China, hence my tendency to react “live”. I think a lot of other forum members are based across the Pacific or in Europe, so will naturally be more active ‘out of office hours’, so to speak. I also tend to watch on my phone when I’m at work at my desk (don’t tell my boss!), so it’s easy for me to be active online at the same time.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 1