shumitto

Haru Basho 2019 Discussion [SPOILERS]

Another marathon match of the day won by Takayasu, barely.   Mita looks good despite the loss and recovering from injury.   He needs double digit wins to rekindle his Ozeki run.   Iffy.

Tochinoshin looked shaky yesterday and today wasn’t really in it. I fear for his Ozeki rank.

1 minute ago, Eikokurai said:

Tochinoshin looked shaky yesterday and today wasn’t really in it. I fear for his Ozeki rank.

That was too easy for Myogiryu.    I don't think Tochnoshin is at 100%.  

Goeido's left hand never touched down. 

So far, this basho has been extremely uneventful compared to the last one.   Are we going to have a normal basho (if there is a such thing)? 

When Kakuryu sets up a good yorikiri, it really is a thing of beauty. Nevermind power-- establish a position so advantageous that resistance is next to impossible.

I really hope he doesn't end up struggling with injuries all year; He's such a pleasure to watch when he's healthy and not pulling.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, robnplunder said:

Are we going to have a normal basho (if there is a such thing)? 

This is the stormy Spring basho - we might have an abnormal one: a calm Haru basho without turmoil

2 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Goeido's left hand never touched down. 

Godo totally suckered Hokotofuji into that matta then capitalised on his slow start in the restart and got away with what probably should have been a second matta. Smart wrestling 

• Like 1

Endo looked like he had Hakuho for a second there, so that was fun. Tochinoshin clearly not back to full strength, poor guy. And as much as I would like to believe Ichinojo has the old fire in his belly, it never lasts with him. Anyway, still too early to make much of what I'm seeing here. Back for more tomorrow.

Still early to tell for sure but Tochinoshin doesn't look like an Ozeki able to save his rank. He didn't show up both days and is lucky to have a win. His match ups were not the most difficult to say the least, and he was never able to get a grip or to go forward. He faces Hokutofuji tomorow we'll see.

Takakeisho is looking great and easy so far, a nice match up to watch tomorow as he faces Mitakeumi who fought with all his heart again today. Considering he was(is?) injured and wasn't able to train much, the sumo he's shown has been solid.

Tamawashi is having an amazing late bloom, maybe I'm wrong but I don't think he has the extra something that will make him ozeki.I thought Daiesho would be crushed this basho at this rank, but not a bad start from him so far, he almost had Tochinoshin yesterday and today's win against Yusho winner Tamawashi was a nice one.

I'm very worried for Tochinoshin. He looks really unfit. He gets pushed back so easily. 

It will be interesting to see if Mitakeumi can handle Takakeisho once again. Mitakeumi didn't fight like an injured man so far, I'll say. 

• Like 1

Some spirited bouts today, but not much else yet. Yoshikaze doesn't look quite there anymore, Tochinoshin will have a hard time trying to overcome kadoban status, (and won't imo), Tamawashi already tripping in his far-fetched ozeki run, and Hakuho almost losing to Endo.

• Like 1

That head clash between Tomokaze and Meisei made me cringe, it's the loudest one I've ever noticed! (Carriedawayonastretcher...) More impressive than that of Goeido I thought!

• Like 1

I promised myself that i would not watch live ozumo on week days to not become a zombie during the basho again...just on the weekend i sayed to myself...But i dont think i can resist to Mita-Sato today... bummer.(Footinmouth...)

While there seems to be a general feeling (one that share) that Tochinoshin may drop out of the Ozeki ranks after this tournament , there is an equally good chance that Takakeisho will finish with double-digit wins, and finally get the Ozeki promotion he lost out on in January.  Watching all the prize money on his bouts, I initially thought that sumo sponsors felt sorry for him, and wanted to encourage him in this tournament.  But another theory is that the sponsorship results from him being more or less a local boy (born in Ashiya City, just outside of Osaka).  With all the kensho money he has received in the first two days, one could argue that he is already an Ozeki in terms of financial rewards.  Tamawashi, on the other hand, is on an Ozeki-run too, but he isn't getting anywhere near the same sponsorship, and with a bad loss on day 2, he may not be a serious contender.

It's still early, but there is the potential for one Ozeki (Tochinoshin) to lose Ozeki status, and for two Sekiwake to gain Ozeki status.  Moreover, both Takayasu and, dare I say, Goeido look like yusho contenders (at least at this stage).  So unless Hakuho tightens up his sumo, it seems to me as though the championship will be fought amongst two of the existing Ozekis and a wrestler in the process of becoming an Ozeki.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

While there seems to be a general feeling (one that share) that Tochinoshin may drop out of the Ozeki ranks after this tournament , there is an equally good chance that Takakeisho will finish with double-digit wins, and finally get the Ozeki promotion he lost out on in January.  Watching all the prize money on his bouts, I initially thought that sumo sponsors felt sorry for him, and wanted to encourage him in this tournament.  But another theory is that the sponsorship results from him being more or less a local boy (born in Ashiya City, just outside of Osaka).  With all the kensho money he has received in the first two days, one could argue that he is already an Ozeki in terms of financial rewards.  Tamawashi, on the other hand, is on an Ozeki-run too, but he isn't getting anywhere near the same sponsorship, and with a bad loss on day 2, he may not be a serious contender.

It's still early, but there is the potential for one Ozeki (Tochinoshin) to lose Ozeki status, and for two Sekiwake to gain Ozeki status.  Moreover, both Takayasu and, dare I say, Goeido look like yusho contenders (at least at this stage).  So unless Hakuho tightens up his sumo, it seems to me as though the championship will be fought amongst two of the existing Ozekis and a wrestler in the process of becoming an Ozeki.

I think the generous kensho is simply due to the fact that Takekeisho is quickly becoming a very popular rikishi here in Japan. Prior to this basho is did a couple of variety TV appearances and showed a humorous, likable personality in stark contrast to his usual stoic demeanor during tournaments.

The fact that he won a yusho two basho ago and is now on a highly probable Ozeki run, and is the closest thing Japanese fans have now to a potential home-grown Yokozuna also certainly doesn't hurt his kensho growing count. 

Would be pretty cool to see Enho fighting a maegashira.

Based on these 2 days i would put my money on Goeido for the Yusho. Although Takayasu and Takakeisho are also looking good. Even Mita.

Hakuho we never know. He might keep fighting like this and still get a 15-0...

Tochinoshin is done as an Ozeki.

As for Tamawashi, does he really want to be an Ozeki? At his age does he want to go through all the trouble and stress of being an ozeki? He has accomplished what he wanted in January and can now retire as a happy man.

• Like 1

oh here we go now, tamawashi loses one bout and now he doesn't have what it takes anymore

21 minutes ago, Joaoiyama said:

oh here we go now, tamawashi loses one bout and now he doesn't have what it takes anymore

All you have to do is take a look at his past record and you will know that his last yusho was more of an aberration than norm.   His "norm" is alternating between K/S and Maeg.   He was never close to being Ozeki.   The odd is atrociously against his making Ozeki after this basho.  He gets yusho in a basho depleted of top ranks and that make him an immediate Ozeki candidate?   I don''t think so.  KK will be a good result for him.

30 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

All you have to do is take a look at his past record and you will know that his last yusho was more of an aberration than norm.   His "norm" is alternating between K/S and Maeg.   He was never close to being Ozeki.   The odd is atrociously against his making Ozeki after this basho.  He gets yusho in a basho depleted of top ranks and that make him an immediate Ozeki candidate?   I don''t think so.  KK will be a good result for him.

All i said i that those who jumped on the Tamawashi hype train were the first to jump out of it after yesterday, give the guy a chance.

I was a bit surprised to hear that we were having a double ozeki run. Granted, that was a rather lax loss to Daieisho, but Tamawashi may also be suffering from all the celebration he had to do with locals and koenkai. If you're not used to it, then there's always going to be issues and not having a great two basho in a row. Just look at what happened when Kyokutenho found himself back in the upper ranks of the division. 

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Dwale said:

Endo looked like he had Hakuho for a second there, so that was fun. 

It seems that if Hakuho is not totally dominant during a match, people will often say that for a moment, he came close to losing. Despite the fact that his opponent gets some sort of short-lived advantage, he almost always overcomes it. A fairly healthy Hakuho, even though he may not be at his very best, is still consistently better than any other rikishi around. 

Edited by sekitori
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Joaoiyama said:

All i said i that those who jumped on the Tamawashi hype train were the first to jump out of it after yesterday, give the guy a chance.

Got it.  2 days of sumo does not tell the story.   Still, I give Tama only 10% chance of making Ozeki after this basho.   OTHO, Takakeisho ...  

I didn't see Endo having a chance of beating Hak in day 2.   To me, Hak had a rather predictable win.  

5 hours ago, Joaoiyama said:

Would be pretty cool to see Enho fighting a maegashira.

He’s got Kotoekou tomorrow.