shumitto

Haru Basho 2019 Discussion [SPOILERS]

18 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

The sand he kicks up can fill a beach.

Wearing a mawashi at the beach - sounds like a bad time!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rocks said:

This would make sense if they didn't happen far too early to be legitimate. He takes off the moment they get into their squat and they haven't even made any effort to touch down yet. It's cheap intimidation tactics. If he at least waited a bit they might even work as that. As is it looks ridiculous. 

Yes, I was implying that at that moment Hakuhou already hesitates or feels. out of sync. They get 4 minutes to prepare; you figure that something might need calibration after 3:55 sometimes. 

IMO the Hak's matta thing isn't a strategy...More like a warning; "im the daiest mf* zuna of all times boy, shows some respect and put your mf* hands down first." Zunas often require some advantages at tachiai...Look at Taiho's initial charge, for example, he used to barely bend his body.

About sato...Its a tricky promotion. He deserves? Yes. He could keep the rank at this age and with this kind of sumo? Hard to know. Its a decrescent run? yep. He is awesome and entertaining rikishi and i wanna to see him as an O? yup. So...

3 hours ago, Bumpkin said:

Will M4w Ichinojo (13-1) be awarded all 3 sansho, perhaps as a consolation prize for not getting a chance to face Hakuho?

We've seen several tournaments where first-time champions walk away with two Special Prizes.  It would be highly unlikely that Ichinojo, as runner-up in this tournament, would be awarded three Prizes.  Furthermore, Ichi didn't face either Yokozuna in Osaka, so I don't think he is even eligible for the Outstanding Performance Prize.  We'll know soon enough.

Did Takakeisho think he has Abi's arms there for some reason?

My man Aoiyama ending up with a great double-digit tournament so I'm very happy - but I do enjoy seeing him go forward instead of backwards so often.

Unforunate for Tamawashi, I guess it really shows the difference between a healthy roster and injury-hit one.

Wow what a massive matchup tomorrow Tochi vs Takakeisho. If I had to pick though I'd root for Takakeisho...

Hakuho is a show all by himself...

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Hak loses to Kak just so he can hand a lesson to Ichinojo, although would that be too much chutzpah even for him?

12 minutes ago, Suwihuto said:

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Hak loses to Kak just so he can hand a lesson to Ichinojo, although would that be too much chutzpah even for him?

Hakuho would never willingly lose a match.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Suwihuto said:

You can't be serious.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, neonbelly said:

You can't be serious.

It has been known to happen!

2 minutes ago, neonbelly said:

Enlighten me.

Only last week I had to have a discussion with a colleague about how we arrange holidays at work. But I admit, it was unusual that I didn't say anything that was sarcastic.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dwale said:

Hakuho would never willingly lose a match.

I question that. When Kotoshogiku won his yusho, he was tied with Hakuho on day 13.  He won his bout on day 14 and had beaten all three yokozunas, something I didn't believe was possible. Hakuho was facing Kinsenosato later that day and it was the most un-Hakuho-like match I ever saw. At the so-called tach-ai, Hakuho stood straight up and allowed Kisenosato to push him out of the ring with virtually no resistance. That gave the edge to Kotoshogiku who went on to win his next match and the first yusho won by a Japanese rikishi in ten years.

Although this may sound like some sort of weird conspiracy theory, I believe that when Hakuho knew that losing to Kisenosato could lead to Kotoshogiku's championship and total joy for Japanese fans, he willingly lost a match to help make that happen. He already had broken Taiho's record of 32 wins and I guess that winning one more wasn't as important as was alllowing Kotoshogiku to win his first and only title. 

Every time I remember that Hakuho-Kisenosato match,  I continue to shake my head in complete disbelief that the greatest yokozuna of all and the one of the most fierce sumo competitors I ever saw, could look so terrible--unless he wanted to. I am now waiting for people to say that my theory is completely insane--but from what I saw and what I still believe, it makes absolute sense. 

Edited by sekitori

7 minutes ago, sekitori said:

I question that. When Kotoshogiku won his yusho, I believe he was tied with Hakuho on day 13.  He won his bout on that day and had beaten all three yokozunas, something I didn't believe was possible. Hakuho was facing Kinsenosato on day 14 and it was the most un-Hakuho-like match I ever saw. At the so-called tach-ai, Hakuho stood straight up and allowed Kisenosato to push him out of the ring with virtually no resistance. That gave the edge to Kotoshogiku who went on to win his next match and the first yusho won by a Japanese rikishi in ten years.

Although this may sound like some sort of weird conspiracy theory, I believe that when Hakuho knew that losing to Kisenosato could lead to Kotoshogiku's championship and total joy for Japanese fans, he willingly lost a match to make that happen. He already had broken Taiho's record of 32 wins and I guess that winning one more wasn't as important as was alllowing Kotoshogiku to win his first and only title. 

Every time I remember that Hakuho-Kisenosato match,  I continue to shake my head in complete disbelief that the greatest yokozuna of all could look so terrible--unless he wanted to. I am now waiting for people to say that my theory is completely insane--but from what I saw and what I still believe, it makes total sense. 

This one? 

http://www.youtube.com/embed/C4R9YhXblgs?start=561&autoplay=1

19 minutes ago, sekitori said:

Every time I remember that Hakuho-Kisenosato match,  I continue to shake my head in complete disbelief that the greatest yokozuna of all and the one of the most fierce sumo competitors I ever saw, could look so terrible--unless he wanted to.

I don't know about wanted too, but there are times Hakuho doesn't seem too care much.  That was a pitiful effort against Kisenosato there. 

23 minutes ago, sekitori said:

Every time I remember that Hakuho-Kisenosato match,  I continue to shake my head in complete disbelief that the greatest yokozuna of all and the one of the most fierce sumo competitors I ever saw, could look so terrible--unless he wanted to. I am now waiting for people to say that my theory is completely insane--but from what I saw and what I still believe, it makes absolute sense. 

He did not look much better in his loss to Harumafuji the next day, easily falling for his signature HNH, I cannot remember a second instance where he did. I am more inclined to suspect an injury, or just the very rare instance of him losing his focus. That can happen even to Hakuho.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Gospodin said:

He did not look much better in his loss to Harumafuji the next day, easily falling for his signature HNH, I cannot remember a second instance where he did. I am more inclined to suspect an injury, or just the very rare instance of him losing his focus. That can happen even to Hakuho.

Although Hakuho may occasionally lose focus, he never loses it in matches where the yusho is at stake--unless as in the Kisenosato bout, he apparently never had it in the first place. Kotoshogiku had already won the yusho by the time Hakuho faced Harumafuji. His match was meaningless and a loss meant absolutely nothing. I think his only goal was to get it over with as quickly as possible and wait for the next basho--which by the way, he won.

Edited by sekitori

So, after all that talk about Hakuho not being his old self anymore and looking more and more shaky each basho, he's suddenly back in invincible mode where Kakuryu can only win if the GOAT allows? Astounding.

• Thanks 2

Hakuho needs some real competition. He looks bored and annoyed in the Takarafuji's bout.

5 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

So, after all that talk about Hakuho not being his old self anymore and looking more and more shaky each basho, he's suddenly back in invincible mode where Kakuryu can only win if the GOAT allows? Astounding.

Well comments about him aside, but isn´t increased fluctuation of a great´s performance one of the foremost signs of aging ?

31 minutes ago, sekitori said:

Kotoshogiku had already won the yusho by the time Hakuho faced Harumafuji. His match was meaningless and a loss meant absolutely nothing. I think his only goal was to get it over with as quickly as possible and wait for the next basho--which by the way, he won.

...and returned the favor of henkaing to Harumafuji on the final day. Looks to me he did care what was going on at Hatsu. Whether or not the losses were intentional, which I can´t believe, he would never, ever intentionally make himself looking that terrible.

Posted (edited)

Morning keiko at Kasugano beya, before day 14. "Hey Levan!!" yells the Oyakata at Tochinoshin, using his real name. "It's OK for you to lose!! Just give it your all!!" he advised. "I immediately felt at ease. All I could think of was giving it my all," said Tochinoshin. Tomorrow he faces Takakeishou in a bout that may determine who will be Ozeki next basho. "I'll probably be nervous, but as it will be OK to win or lose, I'll just give it my all. I should be going out there with this feeling every day.." summed a pondering, smiling Tochinoshin.

"Let me take you to-- Funky town.."

201903230000915-w500_0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

19 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Sometimes when Hakuho wins it's because he's decrepit and winning with luck

Sometimes when Hakuho wins it's because he's invincible and commands space and time

Sometimes when Hakuho loses it's because his career is over

Sometimes when Hakuho loses it's because he's so good he's throwing a match to screw with another rikishi's mind.

Isn't it obvious?

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Suwihuto said:

I don't know of any respectable athlete who may do what you suggested above.   As much as I hate Hak, he will do his best to beat Kak.   It is Kak I am worried about not giving his 100% with nothing on the line for him. After all, Hak & Kak are drinking buddies.   ;-)

Edited by robnplunder

Drinking buddies, and I heard they like karaoke, too. 

• Haha 1