shumitto

Haru Basho 2019 Discussion [SPOILERS]

19 minutes ago, Midoriyama said:

Shimanoumi already has 34 wins in his last 3 bashos with one bout to go... It baffles me how they can deny him his Ozeki promotion for next tourney 

???  

Endo got lucky.  The slow-mo showed his foot went out first.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I’ve been dealing with the worst live stream all afternoon so hardly seen an actual bout. Completely missed the Takakeisho-Ichinojo matchup – just saw Ichi get his kensho.  

Yay Ichi! Now we have a proper senshuraku!

And that my friends concludes the Haru 2019 edition of Takakeisho’s run. We’ll have to see how he does in May!

1 minute ago, Eikokurai said:

I’ve been dealing with the worst live stream all afternoon so hardly seen an actual bout. Completely missed the Takakeisho-Ichinojo matchup – just saw Ichi get his kensho.  

Takakeisho pushed forwards with both arms and ichinojo calmly slapped him down.

Posted (edited)

Yes! My stream chose the right time to start working. Come on Tochinoshin!

Edited by Eikokurai

3 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

It was quick.   A slap down on top of Takakeisho's head and it was over.

Tochinnoshin moved to 7-7 and faces Ozeki hungry Takakeishio on day 15.   Both desperately needs the win for obvious reasons.   I will go with Takakeisho.

• Like 1

Yay Toshi! Now we have a totally awesome senshuraku.

4 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

And that my friends concludes the Haru 2019 edition of Takakeisho’s run. We’ll have to see how he does in May!

Takakeisho vs. Tochinoshin on day 15 should be for ozeki - an impressive win by Takakeisho should get him the promotion . I  go for Tochinoshin

• Like 1

... and the master keeps rolling over everyone.   Go, Ichi, go.

Hakuho really needs to stop these slow-motion matta where he just stands up and steps across the line. He does them in almost every bout these days, especially against other yaku ranks. He’s fooling nobody that they’re legitimate mistakes.

"Mmm i guess tonight my strategy will be...piss off Hakuho! Yeah. That may work."

• Haha 2

Kakuryu not even shows a hint of being a match for Hakuho tomorrow - no hope for a ketteisen

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Hakuho really needs to stop these slow-motion matta where he just stands up and steps across the line. He does them in almost every bout these days, especially against other yaku ranks. He’s fooling nobody that they’re legitimate mistakes.

These are well calculated to throw his opponents off. It catches them off guard and they have to rethink their game against him 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Takakeisho currently leads Tochinoshin 5-1 in the head-to-head so history favours the Ozeki wannabe. Tochinoshin needs to find a way to withstand his tachi-ai as that’s where he’s lost their previous encounters.

Edited by Eikokurai

Just now, WAKATAKE said:

These are well calculated to throw his opponents off. It catches them off guard and they have to rethink their game against him 

Yeah, I know why he’s doing it, but he should stop. Matta shouldn’t be used as a tactic, most especially by someone of his ability and stature. He can beat Takayasu without the mind games.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

It was Takayasu who started that thing - he moved forward as if to put his hands down and pulled back. 

Edited by Gospodin
clarifying my response

6 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Kakuryu not even shows a hint of being a match for Hakuho tomorrow - no hope for a ketteisen

It's not that i think he cant...Is that i think he's not even will try. Hak's zensho.

I think that Tochinoshin is going to henka or sidestep to avoid being blown away and either try a push down like Ichinojo and Goeido did, or grab the belt. He looks motivated and had that very important win today whereas Takakeisho badly lost.  I would love to be wrong because I root for Takakeisho more but think Tochinoshin may save this rank, he has all the momentum going for him.

I would like to see Tochinoshin winning, but I think his chances are not good. With his injury he is not as steadfast as Ichinojo, and might be too slow to grab him.

1 hour ago, Rainoyama said:

I think that Tochinoshin is going to henka or sidestep to avoid being blown away and either try a push down like Ichinojo and Goeido did, or grab the belt. 

Second that. Will be a Henka, pushing or belt grab

What else is there? 

• Haha 2

Tochi, Tochi... Why you didn’t put this spirit before? You wouldn’t fight a final tomorrow...

3 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Endo got lucky.  The slow-mo showed his foot went out first.

Good catch!  I had to watch the replay twice before I sensed that you are right about that.  It looked like Tamanoi (Moto-Tochiazuma) was the judge on that side of the ring.  What is up with the judging in this tournament!

The English colour commentator suggested that there will be probably be an "initial charge study session" after this tournament.  But in my opinion, that would just be a way to deflect attention away from the shimpan, who need an "attentive (do your darn job) judging study session"!!!

Wow, that staredown between Hakuho and Takayasu was pretty intense! I assume this isn't something that happens often. Are they getting reprimanded for that?

• Like 1