shumitto

Haru Basho 2019 Discussion [SPOILERS]

I'm simply not clear on why anyone thinks Ichinojo is even in the yusho race? He's trailing Hakuho by a win. You have to be ahead of Hakuho at this point, to have a genuine chance at a playoff against him. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dwale said:

It's gonna be weird not having Ikioi in makuuchi, he's been around so long I just expect to see him. Hoping he can heal up and reclaim his slot

There may not be enough men to promote from juryo - Ikioi might get lucky.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Benevolance said:

I'm simply not clear on why anyone thinks Ichinojo is even in the yusho race? He's trailing Hakuho by a win. You have to be ahead of Hakuho at this point, to have a genuine chance at a playoff against him. 

And not to forget: if they actually had met already, the yusho race would probably be over even sooner.

• Like 1

Kagayaki...Dear...when in doubt; dameoshi...

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Benevolance said:

For all intents and purposes, Hakuho has this yusho in the bag.  He still has to face two tough-ish opponents in the next two days, but does anyone seriously doubt that he can't handle them given the way he has been fighting in the last few days?  In sports jargon, he is peaking at just the right time.

But Ichinojo is actually still in the race, because one slip up by Hakuho would bring them on par (as long as Ichinojo doesn't lose), and then there would be a playoff.

But a part of me is hoping that Takakeisho will defeat Ichinojo today (day 14), which would seal the double-digit win unwritten requirement for Ozeki promotion.  [That would also hand the yusho to Hakuho.]  Despite that, however, something tells me that Takakeisho will also have to win against Tochinoshin on the senshuraku.  Last tournament, the final day loss took promotion off the table. 

Edited by Amamaniac

5 hours ago, Rocks said:

Yes! Why? Because I want Ichinojo to face Hakuho, that's why.

So pray for a kettei-sen, because that is the only way you (and many others – including me, actually) will be satisfied... ;-)

• Like 1

Anyone out there familiar with "push-hands" (tuishou) practice in Taijiquan?  The bout between Takarafuji and Kagayaki resembled that style of (dare I say) combat.

Just in case this is of interest, Top Division gyoji – Kimura Ginjiro – was wearing a kimono on day 13 with the kanji of a poem by Tang Dynasty poet, Li Bai.

床前明月光,疑是地上霜,舉頭望明月,低頭思故鄉。

Before my bed, the moon is shining bright,
I think that it is frost upon the ground.
I raise my head and look at the bright moon,
I lower my head and think of home. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Benevolance said:

B/c Ichi is trailing Hak by only 1, Ichi has beaten Hak twice before, and is playing his best sumo in this basho.   He has a chance albeit a slim one.  

10 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Makes him even harder to tell apart from Daieisho.

They are both the real deal.

4 hours ago, Benevolance said:

Anytime you’re putting pressure on the race leader to not slip up, you’re in the yusho race.

Just now, Fukuyamada said:

He's trailing Hakuho by a win.

Hakuho rarely slips up from 13-0.

I’m not sure that’s particularly relevant. It’s not set in stone that he won’t lose. He’s done it before and he could do it again. 

4 minutes ago, Fukuyamada said:

He's trailing Hakuho by a win.

Hakuho rarely slips up from 13-0.

Should days 14 and 15 be canceled? 

• Like 2

Just now, neonbelly said:

Should days 14 and 15 be canceled? 

No, of course not!

I just think the most likely outcome is the obvious one.

Should days 14 and 15 be canceled

?

Yes. And I'll leave it to Onomatsu to explain why. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, Fukuyamada said:

No, of course not!

I just think the most likely outcome is the obvious one.

It may be most likely, but just because it’s Hakuho in charge doesn’t mean Ichinojo isn’t in the race. If he stays perfect for the remaining two days, Hakuho has to stay perfect. That’s putting pressure on the race leader.

It’s also not within the realms of improbability that Hak drop one bout this weekend, while Ichinojo doesn’t.

2 minutes ago, Benevolance said:

Yes. And I'll leave it to Onomatsu to explain why. 

We might end up with a torinaoshi for the entire basho. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Besides, it is no fun when a winner is decided in any competition.   TV rating will go down, and so would the attendance for good reason.   So, it's good to believe that Ichi has a chance to catch Hak.   I for one will root for the underdog Ichi.  

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

If he (Ichinojo) stays perfect for the remaining two days, Hakuho has to stay perfect. That’s putting pressure on the race leader.

Hakuho has been used to being a frontrunner so often that I doubt if he feels very much pressure. If anything, someone with a chance of winning his first yusho chasing a rikishi who already has won 41 of them should feel a lot more pressure. 

Edited by sekitori
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, sekitori said:

Hakuho has been used to being a frontrunner so often that I doubt if he feels very much pressure. If anything, someone with a chance of winning his first yusho chasing a rikishi who already has won 41 of them should feel a lot more pressure. 

I don’t mean that the race leader feels pressure (i.e. stress), but by keeping pace with the race leader, the runner-up applies pressure, as in ‘force’ or ‘urgency’. It leaves no margin of error.

Hoshoryu comes all the way back from 1-3 to get another KK and will move even closer to sekitori, should be Ms4 or Ms5 next basho

Naya put on a show losing only his last bout for a 6-1 record. He will move up from his current rank Ms51 to Ms22-Ms24 in May

• Thanks 2

Enho got hit hard on top of his head.   I think he lost control of his body briefly after the hit.   He won't last long if everyone goes after back of his head at tachi-hai as Kokushuho did today.

Shimanoumi keeps on winning, 31-5 in his last 36.   He looks unbeatable at current level.   I expect him to get a double digit in his Makuuchi debut.  

Equally looking good is Tomokaze who got his 9th win today in lower Makuuchi.   He hasn't MK yet in his career, 11 KK in a row.

15 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

Enho got hit hard on top of his head.   I think he lost control of his body briefly after the hit.   He won't last long if everyone goes after back of his head at tachi-hai as Kokushuho did today.

Shimanoumi keeps on winning, 31-5 in his last 36.   He looks unbeatable at current level.   I expect him to get a double digit in his Makuuchi debut.  

Equally looking good is Tomokaze who got his 9th win today in lower Makuuchi.   He hasn't MK yet in his career, 11 KK in a row.

Shimanoumi already has 34 wins in his last 3 bashos with one bout to go... It baffles me how they can deny him his Ozeki promotion for next tourney 

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Midoriyama said:

Shimanoumi already has 34 wins in his last 3 bashos with one bout to go... It baffles me how they can deny him his Ozeki promotion for next tourney 

You're kidding, right? They do not promote Juryo guys directly to ozeki, regardless of record. I don't think they will even promote them to komusubi. Those 3 mid-Juryo makekoshi from May - September don't help his case much either.

• Haha 1