shumitto

Haru Basho 2019 Discussion [SPOILERS]

Recommended Posts

what was kisenosato's role today at the stadium?

it was sad seeing him stood watching rather than involved. Must be hard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great to see Toyonoshima back in the Makuuchi winner's circle looking very solid. Hopefully he can establish his foothold there this basho and start a steady climb back to where he was pre-injury. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot the sumo was on until after it was over, but then I remembered and watched it, and was very happy when Toyonoshima won. That is all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow. Goeido dominates Endo up to the tawara, then an isamiashi doutai that didn't get called.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Uk.sumo.fan said:

what was kisenosato's role today at the stadium?

it was sad seeing him stood watching rather than involved. Must be hard. 

He's had a couple of years of practice. 

  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Uk.sumo.fan said:

what was kisenosato's role today at the stadium?

it was sad seeing him stood watching rather than involved. Must be hard. 

If I remember well the word they used on NHK to describe his duties today was 整備 (seibi) which means something like maintenance or preparation, it's quite vague, he was sitting around near the entrance, maybe he was the one instructing the guys to get ready and ask them to join the dohyou side when their turn was up ? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple of articles from three of the main newspapers in japan, the content is pretty boring, they just describe today's main results but what's interesting about them is that all three headlines put Takakeisho's result first:

Mainichi Shinbun 'Winning start for Takakeisho, first day of the Haru Basho ' https://mainichi.jp/articles/20190310/k00/00m/050/133000c

Asahi Shinbun ' Aiming for Ozeki Takakeisho starts with a win, Kakuryu defeated, Haru Basho" https://www.asahi.com/articles/ASM3B33LKM3BUTQP00M.html

Yomiuri shinbun 'Takakeisho overwhelms Myogiryu, Tamawashi starts with a win too, Kakuryu loses" https://www.asahi.com/articles/ASM3B33LKM3BUTQP00M.html

Edited by Rainoyama

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Rainoyama said:

If I remember well the word they used on NHK to describe his duties today was 整備 (seibi) which means something like maintenance or preparation, it's quite vague, he was sitting around near the entrance, maybe he was the one instructing the guys to get ready and ask them to join the dohyou side when their turn was up ? 

If I remember correctly it's also a sort of security role to make sure that no one gets in the way of the rikishi and is traditionally the first job a retiree is given. Sort of a 'it doesnt matter who you were in the ring you start at the bottom again' thing

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been in bed with a fever all afternoon so just catching up with the action now. Tochinoshin didn’t look too sprightly despite the win. He got pushed back quite easily and I think he may struggle against stronger opponents. Goeido made short work of Endo in front of his home crowd. Fairly basic stuff but effective. Good mobility from Mitakeumi, suggesting his leg injury has healed okay.

Edited by Eikokurai

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The Fat Cyclist said:

If I remember correctly it's also a sort of security role to make sure that no one gets in the way of the rikishi and is traditionally the first job a retiree is given. Sort of a 'it doesnt matter who you were in the ring you start at the bottom again' thing 

Oh I see maybe I didn't remember it well of might have misheard then, 警備 keibi means "security"  and sounds very close to  整備 (seibi) that I mentioned earlier ! It's probably that as he also received first aid training before the basho. 

Edited by Rainoyama
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Uk.sumo.fan said:

what was kisenosato's role today at the stadium?

I've heard it referred to as "hanamichi security". You nearly always see new oyakata on duty there, no matter what their previous rank.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Been in bed with a fever all afternoon so just catching up with the action now. Tochinoshin didn’t look too sprightly despite the win. He got pushed back quite easily and I think he may struggle against stronger opponents. Goeido made short work of Endo in front of his home crowd. Fairly basic stuff but effective. Good mobility from Mitakeumi, suggesting his leg injury has healed okay.

Hope you get over the fever quickly.

 

Mita looked strong.  Perhaps, he faked injury to avoid training and is well rested for the yusho and/or another run at Ozeki.  :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kakuryu, Hokutofuji and Tochinoshin with shaky starts but the rest of san'yaku is looking strong. Could be an exciting yusho race. 

Also excited to see if Tonokaze can build upon his first win. He breezed through the lower divisions and still hasn't had a MK. Wonder when or if he'll hit a wall in makuuchi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That certainly was a first day.

I mean, Tomokaze and Terutsuyoshi looked good in their debut. Daishoho on the other hand looked completely lost. A shaky Tochinoshin still managed to snatch the win and Kakuryu already trailing down after losing to Mitakeumi who barely trained.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Hope you get over the fever quickly.

 

Mita looked strong.  Perhaps, he faked injury to avoid training and is well rested for the yusho and/or another run at Ozeki.  :-)

Thanks. Unfortunately I can’t go kyujo from work today as I’ve taken a couple of fake sick days recently to interview for a new job, haha. I can’t really get away with another one, even though this time I really need it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Rainoyama said:

Oh I see maybe I didn't remember it well of might have misheard then, 警備 keibi means "security"  and sounds very close to  整備 (seibi) that I mentioned earlier ! It's probably that as he also received first aid training before the basho. 

It is indeed 警備 keibi -- working security to ensure no unauthorized persons go beyond the isle where the rikishi, gyoji, and other affiliated persons prepare and perform their respective tasks.

Kisenosato's first day on his new job

"I thought I would try to make it easy for the rikishi to do their sumo, but I couldn't quite get used to it (the new job), so I just did my best to stay out of the way."

Edited by Kaninoyama
Link to article

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still really worried about Mitakeumi's knee, but he looks ok so far. Takakeisho, if he's still hurt, isn't showing any signs of it. 

Pretty much a standard day one, which is why I don't usually comment on it. But fun nonetheless. Great to see Toyonoshima back in makuuchi after all this time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ichinojo looked incredibly powerful. But it’s only day one. Hopefully he won’t run out of steam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, since_94 said:

Ichinojo looked incredibly powerful. But it’s only day one. Hopefully he won’t run out of steam.

Narrator: "He did." 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kiribayama won a marathon vs Takanofuji who barely vowed afterward.   Mitoryu survived spirited Takanosho who looked good in defeat.

Hoshoryu - young Hakuho like?

 

Another exciting win for Enho!   I love the little dude.  Amazing spirit & skill!

Edited by robnplunder
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like the good Ichinojo has turned up for this basho so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

It looks like the good Ichinojo has turned up for this basho so far. 

... and Ozeki-like Takakeisho.   But it's only day 2.   

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

... and Ozeki-like Takakeisho.   But it's only day 2.   

Indeed. Ichinojo’s back will go at some point.

Great bout between Takayasu and Mitakeumi.  Love those tense leanathons. Mita gambled on putting everything into his initial pushing attack but it didn’t work out.

Edited by Eikokurai

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now