shumitto

Haru Basho 2019 Discussion [SPOILERS]

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Dwale said:

Mhm. It's possible to KO with a slap if you put your whole body into it.

As one can see in this video, that's exactly what Kyokudozan did to Kushimaumi. I believe he KO'd Tochinowaka a couple of years earlieri using the same slap to the side of the head. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8bsDhpoU8M

Edited by sekitori
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, sekitori said:

As one can see in this video, that's exactly what Kyokudozan did to Kushimaumi. I believe he KO'd Tochinowaka a couple of years earlieri using the same slap to the side of the head. 

I remember there was a video where Kyokudozan goes through a bunch of his self-selected best bouts with Yaku Mitsuru. At least half were knockouts.

Enho edges closer to his makuuchi debut. One win away from his KK.

2 hours ago, Joaoiyama said:

If Terunofuji faces Roga he might lose.

Agreed as he wasn't that impressive against anyone in his 6 wins.

After today's loss, Ikioi will go kyujo IMO.   His injury looked worse after the match.

Enho's 1-1 against Makuuchi opponents so far. 

Yago hit the wall after a quick rise to Makuuchi?

Posted (edited)

Double-digits for Giku-san and still theoretically in the yusho race. :-)

Ichinojo has now had his best tournament in makuuchi since his debut. He's managed 11-4 twice since, but fighting at much lower ranks (M11 and M13). 

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 1

Kotoshogiku and Ichinojo are biggest surprises in this basho.  

Takakeisho's promotion is slipping away. I don't think nine wins are going to be enough. If I'm right, he needs two wins from the final three days.

Tochinoshin's demotion is slipping closer. He needs two wins from the final three days and though he's showed signs of life in recent bouts, I have a feeling he's not going to make it, unless he gets a favour or two.

Takakeisho's promotion is at risk, and Tochinoshin's demotion is looming.   Hak finding a way to win as usual.  

32 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

Authoritative win by Takayasu over Kakuryu to remain in the yusho hunt.

That strong performance does not bode well for Takakeisho who will go 8-5 after the match.     Takakeisho needs to beat Tochinoshin, and another riskishi to be named later which are possible given Tochinoshin's current form.   As long as he does not face Ichinojo, 2 wins for Takakeisho is doable.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Joaoiyama said:

If Terunofuji faces Roga he might lose.

He faces Jonidan 84 Sadatsuyoshi, a 20 year old 1.84/153 Jonidan mainstay for two years since he joined sumo. Should beat him. Roga gets a Sandanme opponent.

Edited by Kintamayama

1 hour ago, robnplunder said:

Kotoshogiku and Ichinojo are biggest surprises in this basho.  

And - for me - Nishikigi. Somehow I expected him to continue his dominant sumo in March. Didn't happen, but I hope he'll grow to  a very successful rikishi. 

1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

Tochinoshin's demotion is slipping closer. He needs two wins from the final three days and though he's showed signs of life in recent bouts, I have a feeling he's not going to make it, unless he gets a favour or two.

Not his former, dominant self, but much-much better than in the 1st week. Came too late though...sad. 

Double digits for Kotoshogiku, and good for him. Also nice to see that Aoiyama didn't let that loss affect his fighting spirit.

A lot of my picks got their behinds handed to them today, but at least Takayasu's win took the edge off. Tochinoshin did better than I would have expected. Unfortunately they don't give you wins for that. Dire straits for him. Well, nothing to do but cheer and hope. He might just be able to sneak one by Kakuryu if he brings the fire.

Takakeisho has shown before that he handles pressure pretty well, but I wonder if it hasn't finally gotten to him this time. Not a great spot for him to be in going into day 13. Not giving up hope, though. We'll see what he can do against... *checks* Takayasu. Uh...ganbatte yo. (Drippingsweat...) Takayasu has a history of running out of steam towards the end of the basho. Problem is, he seems to be over that now.

Hakuho may well zensho, making me eat my words. Wouldn't be the first time. I would prefer the excitement of going into senshuraku with the yusho undecided, of course, so I'll be cheering Goeido tomorrow.

• Like 1

Very pleased for Kiribayama gaining his kachi-koshi. It's especially sweet, considering these last few injury laden years have been a struggle for the lad. He looks a lot fitter now and he's moving well around the dohyo, he's only 22, so hopefully he can keep up this momentum. Looking forward to see how he finishes on the last few days.

The look of pain on Ikioi's face in the middle of the match as he tried to push forward made me wince. And Sadanoumi was also clearly in pain after his bout. I'd like them both to just have a rest.

It was a kind of lack-luster day of sumo today, but the Hak-Tochinoshin match made up for it - worth the price of admission alone.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Morty said:

The look of pain on Ikioi's face in the middle of the match as he tried to push forward made me wince. And Sadanoumi was also clearly in pain after his bout. I'd like them both to just have a rest. 

Normally I don't wish a basho to hurry along and end, but for the sake of these two, the end can't come sooner enough!

As for Ikioi his condition, cellulitis, is exceptionally painful. It's actually a bacterial infection of the subdermal layer of the skin and needs to be treat with antibiotics and rest. Not allowing sufficient time to heal can drive the infection deeper into the skin, eventually infecting the bones themselves.. unfortunately it picked the wrong rikishi to inflict, at the wrong time...I just feel for Ikioi so much, I honestly do. The lad brings me to tears sometimes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, sekitori said:

THWACK! Considering how well the mic picked that up, the folks there live must've heard it clear to the parking lot. (Thanks for that, I've watched it several times now)

Forgot to mention earlier, Tamawashi v Endo was entertaining. I wasn't expecting much from it, but they really put on a show.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that Ichinojo is still in kaiju mode. Made it look easy. I really hope this is just him from now on. *fingers crossed*

Edited by Dwale
Forgot to add something

That Kotoyuki. Even when he WINS he gets blasted off the dohyo.

DtakOGe.jpg

• Like 3

WTH? They put Ikioi against Abi on Day 13? It ain't bad enough the guy can barely walk now he has do get slapped 30 or 40 times too? I think they are trying to make him drop out. 

Not surprised Goeido won but surprised he did so easily. Takakeisho looks a bit tired. Tochinoshin gave Hakuho a better match than he has many other times when healthier. He might just skirt over the line yet.

• Like 1